PDA

View Full Version : Wood screws ??

Hootmix
04-16-2022, 09:22 AM
I have trouble finding " correct" wood screws for the muzzle loaders that i rebuild. All i can find at "little China town" mall, are Phillips type and even "A" Hardware store don't have any. I want the Flat Slotted head, most on the guns i work on are buggered up or have some "that will do" type screw. So where are you folks finding yours?

Having coffee, Hootmix.

rancher1913
04-16-2022, 09:31 AM
McMaster-carr, or Grainger

dondiego
04-16-2022, 10:03 AM
Have you tried Brownell's?

LAGS
04-16-2022, 10:32 AM
I got some off the net.
There is screws for like the TC sold in sets.
I just googled the size I needed and there are several on line stores selling what you need.
But mostly in bulk of 100.
What screws and for what gun are you looking for ?
I did get a couple of sets for rebuilding my TC Hawkens from DocHawken on Fleebay

uscra112
04-16-2022, 10:33 AM
Track of the Wolf?

freakonaleash
04-16-2022, 10:43 AM
I buy old wood chairs at farm auctions for next to nothing and salvage the screws out of them then bust the wood down for firewood. I also get into old houses that are going to be demolished and take all the hinge screws .

hporter
04-16-2022, 11:14 AM
When I need small wood screws for my antique cameras, I usually buy them here:

https://www.microfasteners.com/self-tapping-sheet-metal-and-wood-screws.html

The have a good selection of most wood screws and with slotted heads.

Good Luck

1Hawkeye
04-16-2022, 11:47 AM
I have found real brass ones at home depot in the little bags of screws section but the "steel" ones aren't raw steel they have a zinc content so they dont take any kind of finish.

bangerjim
04-16-2022, 12:13 PM
All my local Loews and Home despots carry slotted screws in brass, steel and SST. Also the big Ace hardware stores have an excellent selection.

I have a private source of brass screws that I buy from out of state in lots of 250/size, I have a wall of containers full of just about every size and length brass wood and metal screw (1/4-2" and #0-#16) in the book. Both flat head and round head. It's nice to have your own "screwy store" right in your shop. I use a lot of brass screws in my antique restoration and reproduction trade/hobby.

No Phillips or Torx heads here!

LAGS
04-16-2022, 12:43 PM
If you have the Galvanized wood screws.
You can soak them in White vinegar to disolve the zinc coating.
Then the steel can be blued or browned.
On most of my refinished galvanized screws , I just Lamp them.
That is heating them up to almost red hot , and them quench them in motor oil.
It gives a nice finish and looks like original screws.

charlie b
04-16-2022, 09:27 PM
Thanks for that tip on galvanized screws!!!

Alasgun
04-16-2022, 09:48 PM
These are correct for gun purposes and very reasonable! No need to add extra anything, they can be purchased with the proper finish! Plug ;slotted, black oxide, oval or flat head into the search! I prefer the oval heads myself.

https://www.blacksmithbolt.com/store/c/28-Flat-Head-Steel-Wood-Screws.aspx

36g
04-16-2022, 10:05 PM
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?search=wood%20screws

Hootmix
04-17-2022, 07:22 AM
Thank you everyone for some great information, now to go make me a " I need list". I'm working on 2 different Hawkens, 1 left unfinished, and 1 almost finished w/ the wrong screws.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

LAGS
04-17-2022, 10:57 AM
When I am Rebuilding the used rifles I buy.
I take out all the screws and install the same size screws that have Phillips heads.
Then when the gun is all finished , I put the correct slotted head screws back in.
That way , assembling and disassembling the rifle several times when I am working on it , the screws don't take on more wear.
And the Phillips heads are actually easier to take in and out quickly. ( Like with an electric screw gun if needed )
And If some of the original screws are missing or damaged , I have the Phillips head ones that I can buy locally cheap to let me work on the gun while I order the Proper screws

elmacgyver0
04-17-2022, 11:05 AM
If you are in a hurry muriatic acid will remove the zinc plating very quickly.
Just hang the screw from a piece of stainless-steel wire and drop it in the jug, no need to pour out the acid which can be dangerous.
After a few minutes lift the screw out with the wire and rinse in water.
Don't breathe the fumes from the jug.

bedbugbilly
04-17-2022, 11:43 AM
I always got mine from Track of the Wolf as well - haven't looked in a long time so don't know what they have available/in stock but they carry the correct plain "un-plated" straight slot screws (steel) in a variety of sizes for rifle building needs

LAGS
04-17-2022, 12:17 PM
The muriatic acid worked for me too Very Quickly.
Except for the time I forgot that I put them in the acid.
It ate the screws down almost one full size.

indian joe
04-18-2022, 07:03 AM
I have trouble finding " correct" wood screws for the muzzle loaders that i rebuild. All i can find at "little China town" mall, are Phillips type and even "A" Hardware store don't have any. I want the Flat Slotted head, most on the guns i work on are buggered up or have some "that will do" type screw. So where are you folks finding yours?

Having coffee, Hootmix.

local hardware store was updating stock - I happened along looking for slot headed screws (old guys have run this shop since year dot) kid behind the counter sez no mate we dont keep that stuff anymore - old guy is listening with half an ear while he serves another customer - sez go out the back - up the stairs and around to the office - ask the gal there, all that old stock stuff is in a box in the corner, selling cheap for the staff christmas party - ten bucks I cleaned out anything might be useful around my BP guns - hundreds of slot head screws , brass and steel, big box of 1/8 x 40tpi metal threads 3 inch long went home grinning that day. dont see anything but blister pack phillips head stuff in the stores here anymore.