View Full Version : Wheelweights still available....

BruceB
01-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Having a few extra minutes on my way to work today, I stopped by my long-time primo tire shop to see how the "stock" of used WW was holding up. The lads said," Wheelweights?? We've got two full buckets, do you want them BOTH?" Uh...tough question..."Yes indeed, please!"

These 5-gallon buckets are both full-to-overflowing, and it took three of us to lift each bucket into the back of the Suburban. Historically I only get two or three pounds of trash (if that much) in each bucket from this place, so I figure I have added a good 300 pounds to my stash.

Not only that, but I got them on credit. Running out of time, I promised to deliver Pepsi and doughnuts tomorrow. My out-of-pocket cost will run somewhere in the neighborhood of four or five cents per pound, and that's just because I OFFER the goodies each time....they've never asked for anything.

Sure makes for inexpensive shooting....the bullets are the LOWEST-cost item in the cartridge. Compare that to shooting them jacketed bullets.

keebo52
01-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Yep. They're still out the if you look for them. I picked up a 5 gal bucket yesterday. The guy had three full buckets but would only part with one. He uses WW lead to make balance weights for his race cars.

TimBoothe
01-22-2009, 11:13 PM
"Sure makes for inexpensive shooting....the bullets are the LOWEST-cost item in the cartridge. Compare that to shooting them jacketed bullets. "

That's why I'm doin this. I've had a couple similar experiences. I work for a decent sized university, there's a couple of shops on campus that handle different fleet vehicles....swapped them out for just a "thanks brother..." but brought them some goodies cause it was the right thing to do.

I've found that most of the "chain" shops that have an ample supply of WW won't part with them. Have to send the pb back to corporate to get recycled. I found one locally owned shop where the boss saved the WW to make ballast for their race car. Seeing as I've got way too much soft lead, I swapped him out x pds of soft stuff for the equal wieght in WW.

TimBoothe