PDA

View Full Version : Fewer Replacements

Rattlesnake Charlie
04-14-2022, 10:17 PM
Don't know where to post this for sure. Just feel that there are fewer people coming on that enjoy casting especially and reloading to some degree. I'm starting to thin out my workbench, and not many takers for some classic molds. I'm starting to feel old, and I'm only 68. I never expected to get this old so fast.

cwtebay
04-14-2022, 10:29 PM
You could try listing them in swapping and selling.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Land Owner
04-15-2022, 07:12 AM
Give it a little while longer. Many are just coming out of hibernation from Covid, though I used some of that time to cast, Cast, CAST! With inflation, food, and fuel price increases gobbling up available income, component shortages in evidence, and factory ammo "insanely" priced, the "thaw" in Spring 2022 is going to persist.

bedbugbilly
04-15-2022, 11:14 AM
Have to agree with you as far as "younger ones" coming up, but there are some good ones out there who fortunately have been able to shoot with parents and grandparents and who haven't gone WOKE. Then again you have to remember that you can't cast ballots and hold a cell phone and take selfies at the same time. :-)

I'm a little older than you but am also at that point where I need to downsize after casting for nearly 60 years. We don't have kids . . . I do have a younger fellow (50 if you can call that younger) that I've given some things to in order to get him interested in reloading as well as some other "younger ones". You shouldn't have any problems selling on this site in the WTS section as one person's excess is another person's treasure.

One has to remember that folks, especially younger ones and those with kids have bigger worries with the rate of inflation, cost of gas to get to work and trying to figure out which is more important - paying for gas to get to work, paying for food to feed the family or paying for a new pair of shoes for the kid. For those that were brought up right and know the meaning of hard work and responsibility, they'll put their family ahead of a hobby. The problems arise when an individual isn't responsible enough to know that his family comes before his hobby and they put their hobby before their family.

farmbif
04-15-2022, 11:32 AM
it could also be that shooters who cast get their information other places as there are so many places on the internet and in gun shops that sell supplies and offer instruction and advice. I know ive got a young friend in his 20's and he got into casting 6-8 years ago and learned quite a bit of information from YouTube including how to powder coat.

Murphy
04-15-2022, 12:22 PM
The internet has changed many things over these past years. Many of us here began casting long before it came about. I'm one of those in the 'aging out' category as well, 68 years old and no children. The past 2 years have played havoc on the shooting sports in general, or at least I feel they have. Strange, a year ago at this time it was hard to even find a round ball mold for a black powder handgun.

As for those who pick their hobby(s) over family, they will one day reap what they sow.

Murphy

Wayne Smith
04-16-2022, 07:50 AM
And we also have NOE, Miha, and others replacing some of those old classics with new, modern molds.

MrWolf
04-16-2022, 08:24 AM
Also a tough time for "new" folks to be interested in reloading with sky high prices. As others stated, folks have families and other bills that come first. I am waiting for my son to get interested enough but will continue to keep what I have. Kids can sort it out when I am gone. Give them something to remember me by [smilie=w:

toallmy
04-16-2022, 08:28 AM
I have told a few people interested in loading their own to hold off until components are readily available .

dverna
04-16-2022, 09:23 AM
The shooting sports are and will continue to decline. Here in MI even deer hunting is down.

With primers and powder at current prices even some avid shooters are cutting back...I know I have. I am down to a "lifetime supply" but not at the shooting volume I am used to. I have transitioned to PCP guns to keep up my trigger time. If I had not moved to PCP's I would be out of components in about 5-6 years.

As to reloading, people say they want to do it but few follow up. Three of the guys at the hunt camp I belong to showed interest, but none ever made the effort. And my place is next to the hunt camp.

I offered my son one of my 1050's or 550's and he was not interested. I expect my stuff will be sold for less than half of what it is worth when I get called home.

10x
04-16-2022, 11:06 AM
And we also have NOE, Miha, and others replacing some of those old classics with new, modern molds.

Or better yet, making the classic molds that the back room money folk in the old companies decided to cut corners.
I have some incredible molds that copy boolit design from the 1940s and 1930s made by NOE and Accurate.

Cosmic_Charlie
04-16-2022, 05:35 PM
If i have to pay $90 for a 1,000 primers, guess i will in order to keep shooting. But in this political climate, our cherished firearms collections could easily be rendered worthless or even a liability. Probably never be a better time to thin down a collection. I could sell 75% of mine and still have a plenty good time shooting. Funny thing though, just bought a 1955 870 today and saw a really interesting Howa Carbon Stalker chambered 7.62 x 39 at the lgs. Thing felt like it was filled with helium!