PDA

View Full Version : New Feller Here From VA

Dhall_37
04-13-2022, 07:32 PM
Howdy folks, my Name is Derrick Hall. I’m from the Accurate shooter forum, great guys over there, however they cater to a lot of BR guns while I like old school stuff.

To start I’m almost 19, in the VA National Guard, and am from Just outside Roanoke. I shoot over at safe side tactical in the indoor range!

I have quite a few firearms, around 20 or so, after my training I spent a good chunk of $$$ on reloading gear and guns. I mostly shoot military surplus, 7x57, 8x57, 6.5 Carcano, 41 Swiss, 303 British 300 savage and hopefully soon 4.2 Line Berdan.

One of my coolest rifles is a Carcano converted to 7.62x39 or my Remington 81 in 300 Savage. I think that brings my total to 5 Carcano’s…..

I really want to get started into 4.2 Line Berdan loading and am having trouble getting started, I got lots to learn and I’m quite excited. Unfortunately I don’t shoot exclusively cast bullets so you’ll have to forgive me there. :)

trails4u
04-13-2022, 07:36 PM
Welcome to the madness Derrick! You'll find the finest collection of people and information on the internet right here..... Stick around!

MrWolf
04-13-2022, 08:27 PM
Welcome aboard. Something for everyone and even folks who shoot just words too (so do I).
Ron

cwtebay
04-13-2022, 08:38 PM
Welcome!
The only newer 4.2 Line ammunition that I have seen is made from 348 Winchester brass (so also 50-110 would work). I have a Berdan rifle, and learned to "make it a 42/70" as far as loads go.
I'm sure you'll have fun with it!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Der Gebirgsjager
04-13-2022, 09:36 PM
Welcome home, Derrick! Thanks for serving in the Guard. Lots of folks here, including me, shoot and collect old military rifles, cast boolits, and reload for them. We also like photos, if you're able to take and post them, of your guns and adventures.
Again, welcome!

DG

Dhall_37
04-13-2022, 09:36 PM
Welcome!
The only newer 4.2 Line ammunition that I have seen is made from 348 Winchester brass (so also 50-110 would work). I have a Berdan rifle, and learned to "make it a 42/70" as far as loads go.
I'm sure you'll have fun with it!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I was thinking 348 would work to fire form, buddy on accurate shooter said he could give me a few pieces.

Dhall_37
04-13-2022, 09:39 PM
Welcome home, Derrick! Thanks for serving in the Guard. Lots of folks here, including me, shoot and collect old military rifles, cast boolits, and reload for them. We also like photos, if you're able to take and post them, of your guns and adventures.
Again, welcome!

DG
I’m working on a small YouTube Channel around old guns and collecting them, I’ll link videos when I can. I’ll also post pictures for y’all’s viewing pleasure. My Swiss Martini is still in the works. :)

lightman
04-13-2022, 10:05 PM
Welcome Aboard! A lot of us shoot jacketed bullets too! Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Kimber1911
04-13-2022, 10:22 PM
Howdy folks, my Name is Derrick Hall. I’m from the Accurate shooter forum, great guys over there, however they cater to a lot of BR guns while I like old school stuff.

To start I’m almost 19, in the VA National Guard, and am from Just outside Roanoke. I shoot over at safe side tactical in the indoor range!

I have quite a few firearms, around 20 or so, after my training I spent a good chunk of $$$ on reloading gear and guns. I mostly shoot military surplus, 7x57, 8x57, 6.5 Carcano, 41 Swiss, 303 British 300 savage and hopefully soon 4.2 Line Berdan.

One of my coolest rifles is a Carcano converted to 7.62x39 or my Remington 81 in 300 Savage. I think that brings my total to 5 Carcano’s…..

I really want to get started into 4.2 Line Berdan loading and am having trouble getting started, I got lots to learn and I’m quite excited. Unfortunately I don’t shoot exclusively cast bullets so you’ll have to forgive me there. :)

Awesome, welcome aboard

farmbif
04-13-2022, 10:32 PM
welcome. if your new to casting your own bullets there are great resources here and a lot of good comrnodery.
some links at bottom of page. to get you started there are excellent written articles and a free to download book by glen fryxell and Robert Applegate on the LASC web site that is packed with great info that for me anyway has been invaluable.. I dont know glen but ill take this opportunity to thank him for all the great stuff he has written and shared with us.
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

WRideout
04-14-2022, 11:22 AM
Welcome, Derrick. I retired after 20 years military, three years active Army, and the rest National Guard in CA, TN, and PA. Be sure to keep copies of your Leave and Earnings statement. It may not seem important now, but if you actually approach retirement age, that is one of the ways you can prove time in service. Record keeping is not always a priority with reserve units.

Wayne

P.S. I also like to keep "elderly" guns shooting.

04-14-2022, 11:28 AM
Welcome. Some nice easy going folks, here. Casting is a good way to keep those oldies running.

metricmonkeywrench
04-14-2022, 12:51 PM
Welcome, Your a bit too far southwest from me to meet FTF and a cuppa Joe.

Texas by God
04-14-2022, 01:03 PM
Welcome to the (gun) nut house!
The Mosin Nagant 1891 was the 3 line rifle, correct? We want to see your 4.2 line rifle and hear about it as you go.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Dhall_37
04-14-2022, 03:20 PM
I’ll be sure to post about it on the milsurp page, computer is currently needing fixed, using the cell phone is a little bit of a struggle learning the forum. ��

Dhall_37
04-14-2022, 03:22 PM
Welcome, Derrick. I retired after 20 years military, three years active Army, and the rest National Guard in CA, TN, and PA. Be sure to keep copies of your Leave and Earnings statement. It may not seem important now, but if you actually approach retirement age, that is one of the ways you can prove time in service. Record keeping is not always a priority with reserve units.

Wayne

P.S. I also like to keep "elderly" guns shooting.

Thanks for the advice, I keep records in my “I love Me” binder. Currently hoping to pin SPC soon. :) My smoke has 33 years in.

Bazoo
04-14-2022, 05:56 PM
Howdy from the commonwealth of Kentucky. I am into sixguns, Ruger single actions mainly, and leverguns. But I generally like it all. I do have a 22 rimfire addiction. About the only thing guns I’m not interested deeply in is precision BR. I like short range rifles and offhand and conventional field position shooting.

Dhall_37
04-14-2022, 08:17 PM
Howdy from the commonwealth of Kentucky. I am into sixguns, Ruger single actions mainly, and leverguns. But I generally like it all. I do have a 22 rimfire addiction. About the only thing guns I’m not interested deeply in is precision BR. I like short range rifles and offhand and conventional field position shooting.

I like 22lr as well, I have a Rossi 22 lever gun I really like, I’d like to upgrade the sights on it and use it for silhouette shooting at a club not too far from me.

gwpercle
04-15-2022, 01:53 PM
Welcome to the site Derrick ...Glad to have you on board !
I see you are almost 19 ... that's wonderful , another member was just lamenting the fact that most of us are getting older and we need some "Young Bloods " in the group !
I'm into Surplus Rifles and handguns myself ... we'll have to talk !
but first :drinks: the first round's on me ...Cheers !

Gary

Bazoo
04-15-2022, 08:07 PM
I like 22lr as well, I have a Rossi 22 lever gun I really like, I’d like to upgrade the sights on it and use it for silhouette shooting at a club not too far from me.
That sounds fun. What model Rossi? I’m not familiar with their products.

Dhall_37
04-16-2022, 02:55 AM
That sounds fun. What model Rossi? I’m not familiar with their products.

I do believe it is their Rio Bravo rifle, mine has the wood furniture, it’s not as fancy as a Henry, but it gets the job done. :)

Dhall_37
04-16-2022, 02:57 AM
Welcome to the site Derrick ...Glad to have you on board !
I see you are almost 19 ... that's wonderful , another member was just lamenting the fact that most of us are getting older and we need some "Young Bloods " in the group !
I'm into Surplus Rifles and handguns myself ... we'll have to talk !
but first :drinks: the first round's on me ...Cheers !

Gary

Rang some steel today with my 7x57 Mauser from 100-300 yards. I have some surplus stuff that moves at 2800 FPS…. It’s slick stuff, but imma save the rest for when China invades. ��

marshall623
04-18-2022, 09:15 PM
I like 22lr as well, I have a Rossi 22 lever gun I really like, I’d like to upgrade the sights on it and use it for silhouette shooting at a club not too far from me.Dhall ,
I'm up 81 about 2 hrs from you . Where is this club your thinking about shooting silhouettes at . I shoot at Cavalier once a month Hunters Pistol and Lever Action Silhouette

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Alstep
04-19-2022, 10:17 PM
Welcome Derrick,
If you're into highpower at all, and since you're in the Guard, come on down to Camp Butner, NC this weekend. The CMP is holding their Eastern Games starting Saturday, and shooting all next week. I'm going down to coach the line.
https://thecmp.org/cmp-matches/eastern-cmp-games-cmp-hp-rifle-matches/

Dhall_37
04-24-2022, 03:51 PM
Dhall ,
I'm up 81 about 2 hrs from you . Where is this club your thinking about shooting silhouettes at . I shoot at Cavalier once a month Hunters Pistol and Lever Action Silhouette

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I believe it’s the Roanoke Rifle And Revolver Club that has silhouette matches and maybe the Lynchburg Izzak Walton League.

firefly1957
04-24-2022, 06:52 PM
Hello from Michigan I have been reloading and shooting since the early 1970's .
When I was 14 years old my grandfather opened his gun cabinet and showed me his guns one was like you have a Remington Model 81 in .300 Savage . He told me if i put the front sight on a deer from the muzzle to 300 yards it is venison for dinner . I asked why he no longer used it he said "old Eyes" at 14 I could not understand that but after around 50 it did start to show up! The gun will shoot Remington or Winchester 150 grain ammo into a MOA group together ! I do reload for it but have not used a reload on a deer yet.
Working on it I noticed the barrel sleeve is 1 inch just like a scope tube and modified a scope ring so I could bolt on a scope rail without putting any new holes in the gun . The rail was drilled to fit the rear sight screws and a 8-32 screw in the modified scope ring . A 2-7X pistol scope on the rail and even old eyes can use the gun again!

Dhall_37
04-25-2022, 12:06 PM
Hello from Michigan I have been reloading and shooting since the early 1970's .
When I was 14 years old my grandfather opened his gun cabinet and showed me his guns one was like you have a Remington Model 81 in .300 Savage . He told me if i put the front sight on a deer from the muzzle to 300 yards it is venison for dinner . I asked why he no longer used it he said "old Eyes" at 14 I could not understand that but after around 50 it did start to show up! The gun will shoot Remington or Winchester 150 grain ammo into a MOA group together ! I do reload for it but have not used a reload on a deer yet.
Working on it I noticed the barrel sleeve is 1 inch just like a scope tube and modified a scope ring so I could bolt on a scope rail without putting any new holes in the gun . The rail was drilled to fit the rear sight screws and a 8-32 screw in the modified scope ring . A 2-7X pistol scope on the rail and even old eyes can use the gun again!

That’s awfully neat, mine shoots pretty good, I ran some reloads through it that were a little too stout and the accuracy suffered. Factory ammo is spot on I’m trying to replicate it. Currently changing powder over to 3031 from BLC2.

shooterg
04-26-2022, 03:21 PM
I believe it’s the Roanoke Rifle And Revolver Club that has silhouette matches and maybe the Lynchburg Izzak Walton League.

Lynchburg Izaak Walton does have Vintage Rifle Matches a few times a year . Also a separate class for Vintage in the 300 yd. FClass events.
Come on up ! Check online at www.IWLA.org/Lynchburg

pworley1
04-26-2022, 05:57 PM
Welcome to the addiction. The folks here are always willing to help young or old with great information. The more specific you can make your questions the better someone will be able your question.