PDA

View Full Version : Ballistic Products data breach

megasupermagnum
04-12-2022, 12:41 PM
This is a heads up for everyone who has bought from Ballistic Products to check you card statements for fraudulent purchases recently. It sounds like a bunch of people got emails on this, but not everyone. I did not get an email, despite dealing with them for years, and two recent purchases, and recently had two cards info stolen. I then saw this warning online. I called and confirmed that Ballistic Products is aware of it, and they are dumping all saved info. So check your statements. My first was my debit card two weeks ago. They slacked and allowed four fraudulent purchases. Luckily I got that money refunded after a police report and an affidavit. The second was today, one of my two credit cards. That one was caught right away, no more harm done other than now I get a new card.

This was posted on shotgunworld.

The purpose of this email is to make you aware of a data incident experienced by one of our third-party vendors that may have resulted in the disclosure of payment card information of some of our customers. The vendor of this service has launched an independent investigation with the help of national cybersecurity experts. At this time, we have received only limited information as the vendor’s investigation remains ongoing. BPI and our vendor take the security and privacy of your information very seriously and regret any inconvenience this may cause you.

Our vendor has informed us that it is working with the payment card brands and law enforcement authorities to better understand the scope of this incident. We were notified that payment card brands may be cancelling and re-issuing certain payment cards. Please note that BPI does NOT directly collect or store payment card data in our own computer system. We employ and rely on offsite vendors to safeguard this data. Accordingly, we do not yet have access to the information required to determine which specific cards were impacted and, therefore, we are unable to provide any additional information about those impacted at this time. We anticipate receiving more information from the vendor concerning specific customers who may have been impacted, and we will notify those individuals upon receiving such information.

We appreciate your patience in the coming weeks as our vendor and industry experts work through this complex situation.

Sincerely,
Ballistic Products

fatnhappy
04-12-2022, 03:23 PM
Thank you for this. I was unaware.

Do you happen to know when they believe the breach occurred?

Shawlerbrook
04-12-2022, 03:33 PM
Surprised this hasn’t happened more frequently.

Ed K
04-12-2022, 05:13 PM
Nobody takes responsibility for these breaches. a Company should be responsible for its' subcontractors and vendors.

Half Dog
04-12-2022, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I got that lovely email too. Thanks for posting it.

megasupermagnum
04-12-2022, 06:04 PM
Nobody takes responsibility for these breaches. a Company should be responsible for its' subcontractors and vendors.

No, they shouldn't.

cwtebay
04-12-2022, 07:47 PM
I appreciate that you took the time to share this with us!!!
Anyone that is in business and takes credit card or electronic payments are subject to fraud. Period. Hackers are NOT stupid!!
Oh, and for the cash advocates that may pipe in - I've received over $5,000 in counterfeit bills in the past 5 years alone. Bad checks.....bad contracts for payment....even a fella that was supposed to deliver his payment in silver - silver coated lead that is (so not a total loss!!!). I stopped taking cheques from new accounts 15 years ago.
If someone aims at taking something, there's not much that one can do to completely armour oneself against it.

Edit: for those whom believe that the vendor / business from whom you are making your purchase should be held liable - should I be liable when you decide to pass a counterfeit bill? Bad cheque? Use a stolen credit card?

rancher1913
04-12-2022, 09:42 PM
the difference is the business hired the subcontractor, if you hire a subcontractor to do a job at your house and they screw it up do you just go "not responsible for them" and let them off the hook.

megasupermagnum
04-13-2022, 12:04 AM
the difference is the business hired the subcontractor, if you hire a subcontractor to do a job at your house and they screw it up do you just go "not responsible for them" and let them off the hook.

Except it is more like I hired a remodeling company, they hire a subcontractor electrician for a specific task, who then does something which causes a fire. It really depends on the contract, but often the subcontractor is liable for damages caused by negligence. That's for the insurance companies to figure out.

In BPI's case, we don't know the story. Somebody is paying for sure, don't think they are just walking away.

Gator 45/70
04-13-2022, 07:35 AM
Just lovely, I just bought some 410 stuff from them 2 weeks ago

rancher1913
04-13-2022, 08:24 AM
and just why do you think they hire an outside company, could not possibly be to evade guilt when it goes bad. your "just leave it to the insurance company" remark is what's wrong with this country, the business SHOULD be held responsible, not just "heres some money now go away while we keep doing business as usual"

Geezer in NH
04-14-2022, 02:37 PM
I have no such notice with 4 buys in the last 2 months. Thanks for the heads up MSM