PDA

View Full Version : Truck petal extender reccomedations ?

Wolfdog91
04-12-2022, 02:46 AM
Anyone got reccomendtions for some petal extenders for a manual Ford ranger lol. I'm 5'1 and th seat don't come up as far as I'd like. I mean Id definitely make it work if it was a auto but it being a manual ( my very first actually lol) and having to use the clutch alot on these hilly cow pastures I'd like something that would make this a bit come comfortable to drive lol.

Winger Ed.
04-12-2022, 03:12 AM
Before I started hacking around with the pedals--

I'd look into unbolting and moving the whole seat up a few inches, then bolt it back down in the new spot.
or put a pillow behind your back to move yourself a little farther forward.

If that won't work, check out Amazon for 'car pedal extensions'.
They ain't cheap, but they're made for handicapped folks and are done right and will be safe.

GregLaROCHE
04-12-2022, 03:22 AM
Years ago people simply attached a block of wood to the pedals.

daengmei
04-12-2022, 05:02 AM
Make sure if you move the holes that you are not using a thinner area. Some I think have pads welded in place on top, bottom or both to strengthen those mounting areas.

rancher1913
04-12-2022, 06:19 AM
grandpa used hose clamps to attach blocks of wood the the farm truck pedals so the kids could help with harvest.

kenton
04-12-2022, 07:28 AM
For cow pastures maybe try a phone book on the back rest to scoot you forward. Are phone books still a thing?

Sasquatch-1
04-12-2022, 07:34 AM
Punk Rock Platform shoes, something like this?

deltaenterprizes
04-12-2022, 08:11 AM
I extended the pedals for a friend’s wife by using square tubifex and carriage bolts with lock nuts.
You want to put something on the tubing to make it a non slip surface.

Finster101
04-12-2022, 08:29 AM
Do not try and move the seat as suggested. You will have a hard time getting it to sit correctly. The mounts are made to fit the floor profile and nut welded in to reenforced areas. Making up some sort of extender that can be bolted on to the pedals should be very easy and safe, plus they can be removed if you sell the truck.

country gent
04-12-2022, 08:34 AM
A look at McMaster Carr for rubber materials they may have some thick rubber that could be formed and glued on. Or Alumna Cast they sell poly urethanes a mould made from the original pad and thicker pour it and let cure it snaps on just like the original. The big thing is to determine how much thicker you need the pads.

I like the Idea of the poly urethane as it ill be easy to go back to original if desired. Moving the set forward works but you really should seal the original holes off to keep moisture out.

They also sell a material for making moulds. Here the otiginal pad built up with clay and poured makes the mould then remove and mix and poor the materials.

Thumbcocker
04-12-2022, 08:35 AM
2x4's and zip ties.

GhostHawk
04-12-2022, 08:36 AM
When I was 13 dad spiked 2 chunks of 2x4 to make a block, then wired them above the pedal so they could be flipped down or back up out of the way.

BTW what I learned on was a 1939 international single axle farm truck with PTO and a hydraulic hoist. Truck box was home built of 1x4 boards and 2x4's outside all bolted together with the nuts and ends of the bolts sticking out.

Combine augers back then started mid combine low on left side and angled up at 45 degrees till the far end was some 12' in the air.
Dad did not believe in stopping the combine to dump so we always unloaded on the go. To be in the right position to catch meant the truck top board was less than 18" from the auger. You had to be on the ball, sharp, and watching for signals from the combine driver. I never did crunch an auger. I know guys who did.

Back to the OP, I would get the best pedal extenders I could afford and I would either have them professionally installed or make DANG sure they were just right before driving it.

MrWolf
04-12-2022, 08:49 AM
Looks like they make products like Pedal Pal which cost about $105 to blocks of material which arexa lot cheaper. If you are just driving back roads/farm, I would go the simplest route and use a pillow. My Mom, sister, and girlfriend are all around your height and have used the pillow. Good luck.

XDROB
04-12-2022, 08:55 AM
If the truck has an airbag I would use a good set of pedal extenders and keep yourself away from the airbag. The only problem with extenders is the you'll have to train yourself to lift your feet higher when you drive that vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Murphy
04-12-2022, 09:05 AM
Wolfdog91,

I Googled 'pedal extenders for a manual driven vehicle'. A whole lot of options out there. I'm 5'9" with short legs and it ain't easy when it comes to some manual driven vehicles. What many don't seem to understand, is you can slide the seat up all you want and still have to slide forward on it. You're back doesn't get any support and that get's old real fast. I'm built like an English Bulldog, laugh. People just don't know. If you ain't got electric locks and windows, reaching across that seat to unlock the door or roll a window down ain't no kind'a joy.

Best of luck on your search for some pedal extenders, I'm sure there are some out there right for your needs. On another note I saw it mentioned that having to slide that far up to the steering wheel, can be another issue. It's not a steering problem, it's having enough space between you and the steering column incase of a crash and the airbag not having enough space to deploy. Just food for thought.

Murphy

Electrod47
04-12-2022, 10:30 AM

That's how I learned to drive a car at age 12, ( Kaiser Buffalo stick) and ride a 2 wheeler at 5.

gwpercle
04-12-2022, 11:32 AM

My first thought was ... sections of 2 X4 , cut to proper length ... and ... Duct (Duck) Tape ...
but there are better ways !
Do a search for "Handicap Pedal Extensions" several places came up in my area that sold and installed them for you . Other places offered them for internet sale , such as
www.creativemobilitygroup.com .

But Wolfdog91 ... I think I know what you are going to do ... and it probably involves Duct Tape
and/or hose clamps !
Why spend good money on something you can make ! (I think this was my dad's favorite thing to do ...he would try making anything before buying one ... Once he made Nails !!!)
Gary

Gator 45/70
04-12-2022, 12:44 PM
These would be all sexy and stuff in Mississippi ?
You could jump stumps fairly easily I hope

megasupermagnum
04-12-2022, 01:04 PM
There are rubber covers for the pedals. Most of them fall off eventually, and are never replaced. If that is the case, you can buy thick rubber covers, that might gain you 3/4" or so from an auto parts store. If you do have a rubber cover, they pop right off. Just pull on a corner, and it will come off. Once you do that, you are left with a metal plate. I wouldn't mess with anything hokey. Just figure out a spacer, 1" square tube or whatever, and bolt it straight through that metal plate. You can buy non-slip stick on grip tape at most hardware stores.

MaryB
04-12-2022, 01:06 PM
Some trucks had optional pedals that adjusted up/down and front/back... might be worth it to see if you can find a set in the junkyard... my 2001 F-150 had them and they made for very comforable driving for tall me and my 5'2" friend could move them up close enough to reach.

cwtebay
04-12-2022, 03:10 PM
I grew up with blocks on pedals, I have one ranch truck that sported store bought pedal extenders for a short time, but then I realized that I wasn't going to get a taller wife and made the adjustment by cutting off the clutch and brake pedal arms, welding a piece of strap iron to each side and putting a knee joint on each. Welding a ridged washer on either side of the resulting attachment and using a carriage bolt and nylon lock nut made it extremely secure, but also adjustable.
The blocks are a great idea, but until you've driven one with longer legs and had the top of the brake or clutch pedal not be where you expect it...... you won't understand the pucker factor of such a modification.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

white eagle
04-12-2022, 04:43 PM
I push a button to move mine

megasupermagnum
04-12-2022, 07:45 PM
Some trucks had optional pedals that adjusted up/down and front/back... might be worth it to see if you can find a set in the junkyard... my 2001 F-150 had them and they made for very comforable driving for tall me and my 5'2" friend could move them up close enough to reach.

The Ranger never came with such an option, unless we are talking the new ones which I know nothing about. The old 80's Rangers do have an adjustable push rod for the clutch, which you could in theory change to raise the petals higher. The problem is if you then have a taller person drive, and they shove that petal all the way to the floor, you can end up wrecking your slave cylinder, or at the very least, the master cylinder. A slave cylinder on a Ranger is inside the transmission bell housing, and requires the transmission to be removed to replace it. The master cylinder is easy.

So while you could install an adjustable push rod, and adjust the petal up, you would then need to install some kind of stopper on the back side to keep the petal from going too far. I'd just bolt a spacer on the front and be done with it.

Brassmonkey
04-12-2022, 08:22 PM
On several vehicles 2002 and older I have unbolted the seat from the track, then drilled new holes in the track or the seat or both if necessary to get the needed distance.

gwpercle
04-13-2022, 09:44 AM
For cow pastures maybe try a phone book on the back rest to scoot you forward. Are phone books still a thing?

I answered the phone at my office one day and a young lady asked if I had the number for the Building Permit Office , I said no , but told her to look in the phone book under the heading "Department of Public Works" ... it was there , about mid-way down the list , you will see Commerical Plan Review then Residential Plan Review and Inspections all under the heading Building Permit Office with numbers and extensions ... There was a L-o-n-g silence ... so I say's Hello ???
The girl says ..."What's a phone book "
I new right then I had lived too long .
Gary

bedbugbilly
04-13-2022, 10:50 AM
Wolfdog - best truck I ever had was a Ranger - drove it until it literally wore out after couple 100K miles.

You'll get it figured out. I don't know where they are available, but I have seen pedal extensions that were manufactured for needs like yours. We used to have a customer who was a drywaller who would buy drywall and supplies from us when he was working in the area. He was a "littler person" - i.e. midget. He could handle sheets of drywall like you couldn't believe. He had a full size 1 ron pickup and I remember seeing his pedal extensions and I asked him where he got them and IIRC, he got them through an auto parts supplier. As handy as y9ou are, you'll be able to fix something up that will work. Enjoy the Ranger - I loved mine!

It kind of reminds me of when I was a very young little kid. My Dad would put me up on a horse but even when the stirrups were adjust all the way up my feet wouldn't reach the stirrups. Not a big deal though . . . we just bought a horse with shorter legs! -)

blackthorn
04-13-2022, 12:15 PM
"It kind of reminds me of when I was a very young little kid. My Dad would put me up on a horse but even when the stirrups were adjust all the way up my feet wouldn't reach the stirrups. Not a big deal though . . . we just bought a horse with shorter legs! -)"

And that fixed it how???I am having a hard time visioning how the length of the horse's legs has any bearing on needed stirrup adjustment?

bedbugbilly
04-14-2022, 10:40 AM
blackthorn . . . don't take life so seriously! :-) Of course a horse with shorter legs wouldn't "fix" the problem about the stirrup length being too long . . . . but it did make you think for a minute . . . .

Not much different than needing a board stretcher for a board you cut three times and it was still too short . . . . or buying a horse with legs on one side longer than the other 'cause you're going ride it in hilly country . . . . .

MaryB
04-14-2022, 01:11 PM
The Ranger never came with such an option, unless we are talking the new ones which I know nothing about. The old 80's Rangers do have an adjustable push rod for the clutch, which you could in theory change to raise the petals higher. The problem is if you then have a taller person drive, and they shove that petal all the way to the floor, you can end up wrecking your slave cylinder, or at the very least, the master cylinder. A slave cylinder on a Ranger is inside the transmission bell housing, and requires the transmission to be removed to replace it. The master cylinder is easy.

So while you could install an adjustable push rod, and adjust the petal up, you would then need to install some kind of stopper on the back side to keep the petal from going too far. I'd just bolt a spacer on the front and be done with it.

A LOT of the Ranger parts are swapable from an F-150... changing the clutch from a rod to cable setup cures that problem... but I have rebuilt to many cars and made stuff fit where it was never available... we put the moving pedal assembly from an F-150 into a 1979 E-150 van... had to weld a few brackets in that we took from the donor... worked well at work where my 5' boss could use it and I could use it(I am 5'11"). I got paid for work use of my van for deliveries, made money doing it, work saved money on buying another truck. It was a rust free 1979 Ford van I got for $200 from a friend. Bad engine/trans. I swapped in a 351w with a 4 speed manual that was also never meant to fit in a van LOL That was one funky shifter!

megasupermagnum
04-14-2022, 08:03 PM
A LOT of the Ranger parts are swapable from an F-150... changing the clutch from a rod to cable setup cures that problem... but I have rebuilt to many cars and made stuff fit where it was never available... we put the moving pedal assembly from an F-150 into a 1979 E-150 van... had to weld a few brackets in that we took from the donor... worked well at work where my 5' boss could use it and I could use it(I am 5'11"). I got paid for work use of my van for deliveries, made money doing it, work saved money on buying another truck. It was a rust free 1979 Ford van I got for $200 from a friend. Bad engine/trans. I swapped in a 351w with a 4 speed manual that was also never meant to fit in a van LOL That was one funky shifter!

While true, an F150 petal assembly is different. With a welder, grinder, and sawzall, anything will fit, but I wouldn't go this route. Also, no way to go to a cable setup on a Ranger. I've never heard of a cable for any truck. I know for certain no F series truck has ever had a cable clutch.

gwpercle
04-15-2022, 02:07 PM
"It kind of reminds me of when I was a very young little kid. My Dad would put me up on a horse but even when the stirrups were adjust all the way up my feet wouldn't reach the stirrups. Not a big deal though . . . we just bought a horse with shorter legs! -)"

And that fixed it how???I am having a hard time visioning how the length of the horse's legs has any bearing on needed stirrup adjustment?

As Foghorn Leghorn would say ... It's A Joke Boy ... went right by you ... you missed it ... you gotta stay on your toes !
Gary

Gary

Gator 45/70
04-17-2022, 10:06 PM
5'1'' You related to Kevin Hart WD91?