PDA

View Full Version : Any Famous Grouse Followers out there?

bangerjim
04-11-2022, 07:54 PM
FG is my go-to blended Scotch whisky. ( note the dropping of the “e” in whisky!). I love this stuff. Among my 28+ single malts I have in my “library”, this is my go-to blended hooch! Excellent flavor…..too bad it is only 40% ABV. Most high-end scotches are now 45-50% ABV.

What say ye??????????

metricmonkeywrench
04-11-2022, 08:01 PM
It’s one of the main characters in the WEB Griffin “The Corps” series. On the wish list to try someday.

rbuck351
04-11-2022, 11:01 PM
I give up. What do grouse have to do with whisky?

ryanmattes
04-11-2022, 11:13 PM
I prefer the single malts, if I'm going blended I tend towards Irish. Having a single malt as I type this.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

trails4u
04-11-2022, 11:14 PM
Had a Brit friend years ago that swore by it.... I shared many with him and I'll say it never hurt my feelings. It's no 18yo Glenfiddich but it ain't bad....

jaysouth
04-11-2022, 11:44 PM
My go-to blend is Teachers Highland Cream. It has a higher malt content than Dewar's or FG. In most shops here in Nashville, it is also a buck or two cheaper than FG. In many pubs in Scotland and England, Grouse is the house pour and immensley popular in the British Army.

samari46
04-11-2022, 11:49 PM
Love the Crown Royal Reserve with some ginger ale. Just being the lone man out. Not a regular drinker, but once in awhile. Frank

unclemikeinct
04-11-2022, 11:52 PM
I'll have & will buy a bottle from time to time. I love looking at the Label too. uncle mike in ct.298883

trebor44
04-12-2022, 02:54 PM
Pub well drink! But then : https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-24116050

fatnhappy
04-12-2022, 03:07 PM
I have a nip of the famous grouse every now and then. I usually gravitate to the Irish Tullamore Dew when I'd like a sip. The bottle in my desk has been there 6 months if that tells you anything.

bangerjim
04-12-2022, 03:35 PM
I have a nip of the famous grouse every now and then. I usually gravitate to the Irish Tullamore Dew when I'd like a sip. The bottle in my desk has been there 6 months if that tells you anything.

Irish whiskys open up a totally different nose/pallet than blended scotches do. Dew is very tasty! I have probably 15 different Irish in the "library" and they offer a unique difference to scotch. Some distillers call their Irish a "single grain" offering.

Japan makes some excellent single malts also. I have 4 that I really enjoy.

farmerjim
04-12-2022, 03:43 PM
I have never tried Famous Grouse, but will have to get some. When I drink scotch it is almost always a single malt with no water or ice. On a cruse year before last my better half bought me a $ 150.00 bottle of single malt. What they delivered at the door wrapped and taped the night before disembarkation and was not opened till she came home was a $ 350.00 blended scotch. It was smooth as silk.

Char-Gar
04-12-2022, 03:55 PM
I have tried very hard to develop a taste for high end single malt Scotch Whiskeys, but no luck. Famous grouse has been my go to Scotch for well over twenty years. That said, I still prefer Bourbon to any Scotch ever made.

Bentstick
04-12-2022, 04:37 PM
I have tried very hard to develop a taste for high end single malt Scotch Whiskeys, but no luck. Famous grouse has been my go to Scotch for well over twenty years. That said, I still prefer Bourbon to any Scotch ever made.

Good Bourbon is hard to beat, never developed a fancy for scotch my self

fatnhappy
04-12-2022, 04:54 PM

yeah they do. My buddy shared a Japanese bourbon which was aged in rum barrels last time I was over.

It was smooof

bimus
04-12-2022, 05:03 PM
I have seen it and just by price it's not for me I remember high school days of Boons farm for a dollar a bottle .

Char-Gar
04-12-2022, 05:12 PM
yeah they do. My buddy shared a Japanese bourbon which was aged in rum barrels last time I was over.

It was smooof

Smooth is not hard to do, if one triple distills through a column still. Of course, it also looses it character and nature in the process. For some reason the new generations want to drink smooth stuff with little caring about the other factors of the spirits. Me....I like traditional "fire water", be it Tequila or Whisky.

bangerjim
04-12-2022, 06:18 PM
I have seen it and just by price it's not for me I remember high school days of Boons farm for a dollar a bottle .

Drain cleaner!

Forty Rod Ray
04-12-2022, 06:22 PM
Not much of a famous chap but have been known to close the bar grousing and bad mouthing .. also brought reason and peace to the distraught with round or two of Balvenie 12… if not get him the heck out and can dig his own water hole.

Ray in Alabumma

bangerjim
04-12-2022, 06:22 PM

It was smooof

Many of the Japanese distillers use the "Coffee Still" (a column variation of the traditional pot still) named after the guy (Aeneas Coffee in 1830's) who invented it in Europe. The Japanese love to copy stuff!

Buckdane
04-12-2022, 09:34 PM
This is my favorite and has been for many years. Sad to say I can no longer partake due to health reasons but all the scotch drinkers I introduced it to loved the smooth taste and great flavor.

imashooter2
04-12-2022, 10:17 PM
Irish whiskys open up a totally different nose/pallet than blended scotches do. Dew is very tasty! I have probably 15 different Irish in the "library" and they offer a unique difference to scotch. Some distillers call their Irish a "single grain" offering.

Indeed. I like good whiskey, whisky not so much.