PDA

View Full Version : S&W Revolver Books - Grip Info?

FishHunter357
04-10-2022, 10:26 AM
I have several boxes of s&w factory takeoff grips from older revolvers. I'm wondering if the S&W books provide info that I may need to identify them in order to sell them. I have the basics down like N, K/L, Round / Square Butt, and Magna. I wasn't sure if model numbers or year ID might be helpful in pricing and selecting as I list and if this is available in the books.

imashooter2
04-10-2022, 02:29 PM
It's hard to date them or match them to specific models. Listing features like washer color, diamonds, etc. is helpful. I’m not aware of any stock references.

FishHunter357
04-10-2022, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the reply, I felt like that might be the case for the non serialized ones. Someone once told me that my S&W Pre-17 should have had magna grips so I wasn't sure how much detail the books went into.
Glad to hear that I should be good with the frame size, shape, and physical features.

Der Gebirgsjager
04-10-2022, 06:41 PM
I think about the best you can do is to consult some of the S&W reference books like "The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson", "The History of Smith & Wesson", and back issues of "The Shooter's Bible" and "The Gun Digest." All have photos of various models, and maybe you can match them up.

DG

Jtarm
04-12-2022, 05:11 PM
Post pictures over on the Smith & Wesson forums.

They can give you probable time frames, but model would be nearly impossible to determine.

There are some general guidelines, such as target stocks most likely came from a gun with target sights. But then, not all target-sighted guns shipped with target stocks [emoji848]

Jtarm
04-12-2022, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the reply, I felt like that might be the case for the non serialized ones. Someone once told me that my S&W Pre-17 should have had magna grips so I wasn't sure how much detail the books went into.
Glad to hear that I should be good with the frame size, shape, and physical features.

Not necessarily. However, a K-22 should have diamond walnuts, whether target or magna. Goncalo alves came later.