PDA

View Full Version : Coatings for fiberglass rebar?

Wolfdog91
04-10-2022, 09:05 AM
So I usually prefer to buy and use fiberglass tree stakes for various things ( drowning rods , catfish bank poles being two of the main) but can't find 10' ones locally and shipping would ad closet to an extra $100 or more minimum for anything over 8'. Well we recently got this fiberglass rebar stuff at work. Pretty cheap, nice and stiff , flexible....the problem is this stuff isn't really made to live a love found like tre stakes or fence poles so it only has like a spray painted coating. That doesn't make it the nicest thing in the world to handle. Splinters are apparently a common thing. Buuuut for the price I figured I might as well try. So currently I'm just trying a layer of some nice thick enamel paint and it seems to be work but looking for other options. Any idea ? It's fine if I can't get it in a spray can. I can just cap off a 10' chunk of 2-3" PVC toss the rods in there with the paint or whatever, put a screw on clean out on the other end and just kick it around the yard for a minute or two. Someone had mentioned to me possibly using some kinda IV resistant paint they use in the marine industry on boats. Was also considering that zep hog traffic floor wax stuff. I've seen people use it for treating traps and it's supposed to cure on pretty good so many that? Anyway curios what y'all got
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220410/ae9bd349e77a27802badd1f287afc8a0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220410/424eeee3449c4c9d491129c7dc72b422.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220410/87e621de7b142951f0e15b9d0d0ab15d.jpg

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Finster101
04-10-2022, 09:25 AM
Bed liner coating would work well I think. The problem might be mixing it in small quantities unless you have enough rebar to use a whole can. I painted my golf cart with it. It doesn't scratch easily and I have had none of it come off. I just sanded kind of rough and used no primer.

AnnieOakley
04-10-2022, 10:53 AM
I just found out about fiberglass rebar. I’ve not made it to the big city to pick any up. It’s three eights x20’.The local Tractor supply has four foot fence posts for $1.59. I want to reinforce a cane pole with fiberglass. I would think water or gasoline based trap dip would coat fiberglass effectively.

contender1
04-10-2022, 10:54 AM
The rattle can stuff used to coat electrical tools etc. I can't think of the name right now, but it's a plastic coating material that can be sprayed on, (or for small items, they sell a dip in the can stuff.)

Another idea, the "Flex Seal" spray stuff may work. I've used it on several other applications & it's been a good choice.

Handloader109
04-10-2022, 11:13 AM
You can try the spray version of flex seal. It sticks really well to everything I've sprayed it on, even though as a sealer it is crap. It should adhere well to the fiberglass. The spray plastidip will also work, but it may take 4 or 5 coats to get something that will hold up well over time.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Dsltech1
04-10-2022, 12:00 PM
I think conformal coating in the name of the stuff Contender1 is referring to.

What about a two part epoxy resin? May end up with some bubbles after kicking it around but it doesn’t sound like a perfect finish is needing like on knife scales and other things that are coated under vacuum.

farmbif
04-10-2022, 12:09 PM
fiberglass likes to get coated with gelcoat. its very thick liquid stuff, needs too be mixed with mek hardener and liquefied wax so it will cure to smooth finish when painted over raw fiberglass.

Plate plinker
04-10-2022, 04:52 PM
fiberglass likes to get coated with gelcoat. its very thick liquid stuff, needs too be mixed with mek hardener and liquefied wax so it will cure to smooth finish when painted over raw fiberglass.

Spot on that is what fiberglass bathtubs are finished out with. Also used in RV front caps and boats.

You sir have some wide ranging knowledge.

Mk42gunner
04-10-2022, 09:49 PM
You might try a quart of the epoxy resin meant for fiberglass auto body repair. Usually located right net to the Bondo on store shelves.

No idea how much you would need but you don't have to mix the whole can at once.

Robert