PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Max-9: should I do it?

FergusonTO35
04-09-2022, 09:27 AM
I haven't been too impressed with Ruger's centerfire autos since the SR series, but the Max-9 intrigues me. It seems to strike the right balance of size and weight for a ccw 9mm for my taste. The design seems pretty well thought out and the trigger pull is good. Sights are really nice too. If it likes my pet load of Arsenal 358-130-RF over 3.8 grains HP-38 like my other pistols do then it should be a winner.

What say you? Anybody have experiences with the Max-9?

44MAG#1
04-09-2022, 09:38 AM
I really like my Springfield Hellcat. I looked at a Max 9 but passed for some reason. I pocket carry the Hellcat. Spent more money on the price of the Hellcat. I am a fan of Ruger too but left the Max 9 in the showcase at the LGS.

FergusonTO35
04-09-2022, 09:44 AM
The Hellcat and Sig P365 are next to the Max 9 in the case and the Ruger just feels better to me. I'm going to carry it OWB under my jacket so it doesn't have to be super small.

44MAG#1
04-09-2022, 09:49 AM
I don't carry a 9MM as a primary carry gun. I carry pocket carry in my lounge pants at home. I shoot the Hellcat fine and I have hands that take a large glove. I've shot 115, 124 and 147 grain ammo through mine and hand loads with a 147-150 FN cast and it is good to go. So is my Glock M48. I pocket carry it too and really like it.

FergusonTO35
04-09-2022, 10:33 AM
Sounds good!

pworley1
04-09-2022, 10:36 AM
You are the only one who can answer that question to your satisfaction.

44MAG#1
04-09-2022, 10:50 AM
You are the only one who can answer that question to your satisfaction.

I would assume with a post count of over 5 thousand he knows what he wants. AND knows what he is going to do. He is just wanting to get confirmation on his decision.
Like most of us on forums.

FergusonTO35
04-09-2022, 10:55 AM
Yes, exactly. I really like the gun, just wanting to see what others think before I blow all my fun money!

44MAG#1
04-09-2022, 11:11 AM
Yes, exactly. I really like the gun, just wanting to see what others think before I blow all my fun money!

Be honest, does it really matter to you what anyone else thinks. I am contemplating on getting a certain 1911 45 Auto. I know 90 percent what I am going to do.

FergusonTO35
04-09-2022, 11:39 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of, if the gun has any known problems or odd characteristics that I should be aware of.

44MAG#1
04-09-2022, 11:50 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of, if the gun has any known problems or odd characteristics that I should be aware of.

The problems I have found with trying to ferret out reviews on guns is who do you believe? There are those that nitpick everything to death and wouldn't be happy in Heaven and those that as long as the gun goes bang a couple times it is perfect. I've heard horror stories about Kimber, Springfield and most anyone one can name. Then there's the chance one can get the one near perfect handgun or the most non perfect gun from any manufacturer. How does one know who to believe? I've been trying to figure that out for years.
I will add this EVERY forum has the "expert" and the "far from expert" types. Sometimes it is bad to listen to both types and sometimes it is good to listen to both types. Ive found both types to be wrong at times and both to be right at times.
Ive found that to be the case at gunshops and at the range.

jonp
04-09-2022, 12:55 PM
I don't own one but my bosses husband had an American that he needed cleaned and she brought it in for me to break down for him. I took it all apart, cleaned and lubed then ran a few mags through it. I was very surprised at how good it felt and the accuracy for a self defense gun was well within acceptable. Well made as near as I could tell.

Based on this experience I would have no qualms using an American, Security or Max-9 one if that was what felt good to me and was in my price range.

CastingFool
04-09-2022, 01:15 PM
The more handguns you shoot, the more you learn about their particular idiosyncrasies. When I fired a Shield, it fit my hand well, and was fairly accurate. After a while, I found I couldn't reach the mag release, without releasing my grip, and the mag wouldn't drop unless the release was pushed just right, also the mag would hit the edge of my palm. The thumb safety is small, and I find it hard to set. In comparison, the shield ez, I can easily reach the mag release and the mag drops like right now, no hang ups whatsoever. Also, the mag release can be changed for either hand. The thumb safety is larger and easily set off and back on, with a sweep of your thumb. Those are the type of issues I was speaking about

buckwheatpaul
04-09-2022, 02:57 PM
I haven't been too impressed with Ruger's centerfire autos since the SR series, but the Max-9 intrigues me. It seems to strike the right balance of size and weight for a ccw 9mm for my taste. The design seems pretty well thought out and the trigger pull is good. Sights are really nice too. If it likes my pet load of Arsenal 358-130-RF over 3.8 grains HP-38 like my other pistols do then it should be a winner.

What say you? Anybody have experiences with the Max-9?

I have one and it carries well and shoots great. I bought it to compliment my Ruger LC9S-Pro. When I need complete hide I use the LC9S-Pro. Both guns fit the same holster and both have been gems for me. I have to qualify yearly uder LEOS to carry and I use the Max9.

fastdadio
04-09-2022, 03:19 PM
I have and carry an LC9s. I had one stove pipe failure to eject on the first magazine fired. It's now been flawless for over 400 rds of everything from cheap Tula 115 gr. steel case to 147 gr premium stuff, which I carry in it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Max is just an LC9 with a fat handle?

FergusonTO35
04-09-2022, 06:26 PM
Looking at the exploded view, the Max 9 is similar but definitely not the same as the LC9S. The sear design reminds me of Kahr's "cocking cam". The extractor has an axis pin like the SR series, not the Glock style that the LC9s used. Yeah, I nerd out about those kind of things!

FergusonTO35
04-10-2022, 12:53 PM
I ended up putting a Max-9 in layaway jail, hopefully can get it out soon.

FishHunter357
04-12-2022, 10:37 PM
Congrats on pulling the trigger on the Max9. I got hooked on the P365s and didn't have a chance to check out the max. Looks like a great gun, the 12rd mags should be comfortable and reliable with the longer grip / shorter extension. Very nice that it's optics ready too. Can't wait to check one out if I see one in the store.

Tripplebeards
04-12-2022, 11:23 PM
I went to buy a p365 the other day and ended up with a Glock 20 on sale for $579. I’m still going to get a micro 9. The P365 I liked the trigger the best out of all the micro 9’s. I’ll have to try the Ruger’s. Had a beretta nano years ago and sold it off. Should of held into it.

FergusonTO35
04-13-2022, 11:51 AM
Congrats on pulling the trigger on the Max9. I got hooked on the P365s and didn't have a chance to check out the max. Looks like a great gun, the 12rd mags should be comfortable and reliable with the longer grip / shorter extension. Very nice that it's optics ready too. Can't wait to check one out if I see one in the store.

Thanks. I like Sig but the 365 is just too small for my taste. The slightly larger Max 9 is perfect in that regard.

jonp
04-16-2022, 04:16 PM
Thanks. I like Sig but the 365 is just too small for my taste. The slightly larger Max 9 is perfect in that regard.

Next time your in your LGS or at a show, pick up the SW Shield Plus. I have the original and the Plus and i can tell you that the swell in the grip for the double stack is a thing of beauty

FergusonTO35
04-17-2022, 09:28 AM
The shop has the Shield Plus also. Ida know, the Max 9 just feels better to me and I really like the sights.

FergusonTO35
04-18-2022, 09:13 PM
Ok, so I have a conundrum. I just put the Ruger Max 9 on layaway. Stopped into the shop hoping that the powder and primer gnomes had left something for me (they hadn't). Looked in the used case, and they have a gen 5 Glock 19 just in from trade. I have never seen a used gen 5 for sale around here, and I really like them. It is a little dirty but otherwise in great shape. The owner said he would let it go for $425.00 total, and let me transfer my layaway to it instead of the Max 9 if I wanted to.

What say you? I love my gen 4 19, and really like the changes made to the gen 5. The Max 9 is nice but, like every other gun I buy, there is a good chance it won't be to my liking and it will go down the road after awhile as have many others. I'm leaning towards the used 19 because this is a rather rare opportunity around here and I'm already a big fan of the gun.

FergusonTO35
04-19-2022, 09:38 AM
I think what I'm going to do is add the 19 to my layaway, which this dealer allows you to do as long as you make payments on both items. If I later decide I don't want or can't afford the Max 9, I can cancel it and get a refund minus a small cancellation fee.

BC17A
04-20-2022, 03:14 PM
I think what I'm going to do is add the 19 to my layaway, which this dealer allows you to do as long as you make payments on both items. If I later decide I don't want or can't afford the Max 9, I can cancel it and get a refund minus a small cancellation fee.

I'm a bit late to the discussion, but have had a Max-9 for a while so I'll chime in.

Mine was great up until around the 500 round mark when it started to lock the slide back after every shot fired. What happened was the frame started to spread through the center and let go of the slide stop spring. It also let the take down plate start to flop around also. This seems to be a common problem from what I've been reading.

Since I only live 20 minutes from Ruger I dropped it off the next day. While waiting for the service person to come outside to pick it up, I was talking with (anonymous) who worked there. They told me that mine was the third one that week that was dropped off by someone local for repair. I can only imagine how many came by UPS and Fedex.

Ruger fixed it quickly and called the following morning. All was good for a few hundred rounds then the rear slide plate somehow came loose from the striker and jammed up the slide. I didn't bother to take it back to Ruger since the stock part was a loose plastic piece of junk to begin with and would just be replaced with another. I decided to make a new one from aluminum that fit properly. So far all is good with the gun but it sure left a bad taste in my mouth as to it's quality. It's soon going bye-bye and being replaced with a Shield Plus.

FergusonTO35
04-21-2022, 09:40 AM
Thanks for sharing that. I still have 60 days to decide whether to seal the deal on it or not. Have you tried cast boolits in the Max-9? The P95 and SR9 I used to have did well with them.

BC17A
04-21-2022, 10:26 AM
Thanks for sharing that. I still have 60 days to decide whether to seal the deal on it or not. Have you tried cast boolits in the Max-9? The P95 and SR9 I used to have did well with them.

Yes, it was 100% reliable with all my cast boolits. Fired lots of Lee 120TC, 125RN and 125RF.

FergusonTO35
04-21-2022, 11:55 AM
Sounds good, thanks. By spreadimg the frame, do you mean the plastic grip frame or the aluminum receiver? Would you know when yours was made? I wonder if Ruger changed anything since you bought it.

BC17A
04-21-2022, 02:57 PM
I bought it in March 2021 so it was probably manufactured shortly before then. I couldn't find any dates on the box or the paperwork inside. It's the thin plastic part of the grip frame that will start to spread in the center near the rails, see pic. I asked the service person if they made any changes to the frames as a result of these issues and got the typical canned answer, "we haven't seen this issue before", so I doubt they're even concerned. I'm guessing the problem is a result of making the frame as thin as possible to keep up with the competition.

FergusonTO35
04-21-2022, 05:00 PM
I see, thank you. Does the gate that covers the takedown pin have a spring or ball detent that is supposed to keep it up? Or is it just held in place by friction or pressure?

BC17A
04-21-2022, 08:24 PM
The TD plate feels like plastic on plastic and just clicks up in the closed position. I've read a few reviews that say the plate was loose and wouldn't lock closed when new.

44MAG#1
04-21-2022, 08:29 PM
It seems my choice of a Springfield Hellcat and Glock M48 is looking better and better. Glad I passed on the Max9.

FergusonTO35
04-21-2022, 11:42 PM
Right now, I'm leaning toward not getting the Max-9. I have some time to think about it. Mebbe I'll just get a second Glock 42 instead.

FergusonTO35
04-22-2022, 12:24 PM
Well, the Max -9 dilemma has a happy ending. I talked to a fellow on another forum who has one and has had to send it back twice for the same issue that has been discussed here. Ruger's customer service was excellent as always, and dutifully repaired and returned the pistol quickly. He said that there doesn't seem to be any design changes in the new parts, and he is planning to trade it on a Shield.

I went by the shop to ask if they had any complaints on the Max 9. Turns out they had a fresh shipment of Bersa Thunder .380's for $250.00 each. I've always wanted one and probably never will see them this low again, so I went ahead and cancelled the Max 9 and put that money towards a Bersa.

Took it home and tried it in the backyard a little before work. My carpal tunnel was really acting up and killed any chance of good groups, however the bullets seemed to strike where the front sight was pointed and it was definitely minute of bad guy. Very good decision I must say!