PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Gunworks Carbine Sight?

Babbott213
04-08-2022, 09:56 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this carbine rear sight for the Winchester 1873? I bought one and received it today and it’s Loosey Goosey. I tightened up the screw and it tried to strip. At its tightest the sight is still really loose. Anyone experience this with this sight. I figured there would be a spring to keep it in its position, but there isn’t one. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220409/03afe7a40f5416ff90a504a6aa51a722.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwtebay
04-09-2022, 12:35 AM
Loose where? In the dovetail? The standing portion of the sight?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

missionary5155
04-09-2022, 02:02 AM
You might try some shims along the sides of the moving leaf.

Babbott213
04-09-2022, 09:38 AM
Loose where? In the dovetail? The standing portion of the sight?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Where the sight pivots. I have not installed the sight yet due to if it’s this loose, there’s no need.

Alasgun
04-09-2022, 10:36 AM
I bought that exact sight; intending to use it on my current trapdoor project and noticed the same issue ALONG with the fact the dovetail is considerably under .375! Thats a bigger problem than the wobbly.

However, my next stop was “Lodgewood manufacturing” where i found a Smith carbine sight that was a better option anyway. Better looking, tighter and a dovetail i could work with. I believe i remember that dovetail being larger than .375; but that’s much easier to deal with. It was $75.00 but i was much happier than with the Dixie. They show it as out of stock but if you back order one it shouldn't be long, i understand the dude and his wife that make all that stuff are a small operation.
Scroll back to the first post in my Collection of compromise trapdoor project; and you’ll see the sight im referring to.

https://www.lodgewood.com/Smith-Carbine-Rear-Sight-Reproduction-for-Original-_p_680.html

Babbott213
04-09-2022, 11:39 AM
I bought that exact sight; intending to use it on my current trapdoor project and noticed the same issue ALONG with the fact the dovetail is considerably under .375! Thats a bigger problem than the wobbly.

However, my next stop was “Lodgewood manufacturing” where i found a Smith carbine sight that was a better option anyway. Better looking, tighter and a dovetail i could work with. I believe i remember that dovetail being larger than .375; but that’s much easier to deal with. It was $75.00 but i was much happier than with the Dixie. They show it as out of stock but if you back order one it shouldn't be long, i understand the dude and his wife that make all that stuff are a small operation.
Scroll back to the first post in my Collection of compromise trapdoor project; and you’ll see the sight im referring to.

https://www.lodgewood.com/Smith-Carbine-Rear-Sight-Reproduction-for-Original-_p_680.html

Thank You. I haven’t even checked the dovetail yet. I’ll probably just send this one back as if I have to modify it to make it work, then I’m not going to keep it.