PDA

View Full Version : Heat treat stick on WW

JeffinNZ
01-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Team.

Has anyone heat treated stick ons? My stick on WW is carrying a BHN of 7.2 so if is not pure lead. No way of knowing what it is though. Has anyone heat treated and achieved a harder result?

jameslovesjammie
01-22-2009, 06:12 PM
I thought stick ons were pure with a little tin. Antimony is needed to heat treat.

bowenrd
01-22-2009, 06:35 PM
According to Lyman Third Edition "Cast Bullett Handbook"
Page 58
"Key to the success of heat treating is arsenic."

JeffinNZ
01-22-2009, 06:44 PM
According to Lyman Third Edition "Cast Bullett Handbook"
Page 58
"Key to the success of heat treating is arsenic."

Quite.

badgeredd
01-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Team.

Has anyone heat treated stick ons? My stick on WW is carrying a BHN of 7.2 so if is not pure lead. No way of knowing what it is though. Has anyone heat treated and achieved a harder result?

Jeff,

I have noticed they aren't "pure" lead but they work great in a front stuffer. I have separated the ingots of stick-ons from clip ons so I can use them for muzzle loading.

I DID use a mixture of 60% stick-on, 20% Clip-ons. and 20% babbitt for some soft boolits for my 38 S&W Colt Police Positive. They didn't cause any leading at the 700 fps I was shooting them at. They seemed to be a bit tougher, but I can't presently tell you what the BHN was (need to get a hardness tester). They were air cooled too. Possibly they would harden some water quenching.

Edd

JeffinNZ
01-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Edd.
I do something similar. I use them for my .380 heel bullets and .40cal Minie bullets I paper patch. Stick on WW and about 2% babbit to add some tin. End up with 7.8 BHN that works very well.

yodar
01-25-2009, 11:25 PM
I thought stick ons were pure with a little tin. Antimony is needed to heat treat.

Pure lead. NO tin NO antimony No Arsenic

You need ARSENIC to heat treat. Save stick-ons for when you want to soften a lead mess, or to cast into balls to slug barrels

dont waste yer time trying to make harder bullets with stick-ons

yodar

JeffinNZ
01-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Pure lead. NO tin NO antimony No Arsenic

You need ARSENIC to heat treat. Save stick-ons for when you want to soften a lead mess, or to cast into balls to slug barrels

dont waste yer time trying to make harder bullets with stick-ons

yodar

Not with a reading of 7.0 BHN they can't be pure Pb. Pb is only 5 BNH.