PDA

View Full Version : Businesses that close completely for lunch?

Idaho45guy
04-06-2022, 04:09 PM
I don't remember if this was common in the past, or is a relatively new phenomenon.

I've ran into a couple of these lately in which I needed to get something done between noon and 1:00 pm only to discover that the business is completely closed.

Seems odd that in this day and age that a business would completely shut the doors and not answer the phone during the time that most people have to run errands.

Was this more common in the past?

The two businesses this week were an orthopedic office and the DMV.

farmerjim
04-06-2022, 04:15 PM
The CPAP supplies store that I called yesterday was 100% closed from 12:00 to 1:00.
It surprised me.

45_Colt
04-06-2022, 04:23 PM
The problem is a lack of folks that want to work. So can't cover those hours when the worker that is there want/need to eat lunch.

We have a pharmacy that closes from 1 - 2 PM because of this. But at least they understand that they need to be open during the folks, able to get out, lunch hour.

45_colt

Froogal
04-06-2022, 04:23 PM
Our local post office closes completely for the noon hour.

flyingmonkey35
04-06-2022, 04:49 PM
My old doctors office did this. I no longer go their. Just one of the many reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSB
04-06-2022, 05:25 PM
There’s a people shortage. Most restaurants (sit down) in NY have curtailed their hours due to a shortage of workers.

Rapier
04-06-2022, 05:37 PM
If you run across a poorly run business and know something about the focus of the business, buy it. I bought two like described, what goes with that is opening when and if they get there and closing on a whim.

ShooterAZ
04-06-2022, 05:42 PM
For small mom & pop operations it's not all that uncommon, around here anyway. They just don't have enough coverage.

Geezer in NH
04-06-2022, 06:56 PM
USPS does it it started as an action for more money but really it just shows mismanagement by the postal authorities. Now it is just the attitude of screw customers.

slim1836
04-06-2022, 07:07 PM
There's plenty of people out there that can work. Problem is that they think they are worth more than the business is willing to pay. Most are probably not worth what the business pays them. Once they can collect some unemployment checks they find some excuse to be let go, collect unemployment benefits, along with food stamps.

Then the cycle repeats, no ambition, no job, just handouts.

Slim

Ickisrulz
04-06-2022, 07:10 PM
I don't care if a business closes for lunch. Advertise when you are closed and be open when you say you will be open. That way I can plan my visit.

Bmi48219
04-06-2022, 10:10 PM
I don't care if a business closes for lunch. Advertise when you are closed and be open when you say you will be open. That way I can plan my visit.

Agree with this. Business hours are an owner’s choice, as long as I know I can plan around them.

skeettx
04-06-2022, 10:28 PM
Yes, it happened all the time in the past
Signs hanging on the front door glass, one side open and
the other side closed.

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Closed-Plastic-Hanging-Return/dp/B01LYT41E5

Barber Shops, Insurance Agents, etc

And quality restaurants were closed on Monday

Winger Ed.
04-06-2022, 11:10 PM
It's pretty common for a business or office that only has one person working there all day.

Wayne Smith
04-07-2022, 07:54 AM
Used to be very common, as a child growing up in Maine in the 50's and 60's. And blue laws so nothing on Sunday except one drug store.

pworley1
04-07-2022, 08:00 AM
I live near a small town. Almost every thing is closed for lunch and Wednesday afternoon. Everything except Churches is closed on Sunday.

country gent
04-07-2022, 08:16 AM
We have a couple restaurants that dont open till 9:00 and the owners complain that the breakfast rush isnt there. Duh, open at 6:00 and catch the people on their way to work in the mornings. The one restaurant does open at 5:00 is packed every morning with people from opening to 8:30 or so. Several meet there for car pools He set asode a small part of his parking lot for them even. They meet have breakfast and on to work.

A lot of the Doctors offices close for lunch here.Few stores but expect reduced service from 11:00 to 1:00 or so. The others that usually close for lunch are the Small machine shops and manufacturing.

dale2242
04-07-2022, 08:38 AM
Our small town pharmacy closes from 1 until 2 for lunch.
They also have started closing on Saturday as well as Sunday which they have done all along.

Shepherd2
04-07-2022, 08:45 AM
Our local Walgreens closes the pharmacy from 1:30 to 2:00 for their lunch. The rest of the store is open. Their late lunch gives people to pick up their meds on their lunch hour.

I just keep their lunch hour in mind when I go to town and have to stop there to pick up a prescription.

contender1
04-07-2022, 09:24 AM
For as long as I can remember,, (and I'm in my 60's,) our local PO closes for lunch,, as do several others in our area.

And other businesses also close for lunch around here. Just the other day,, I stopped by a friends business, to see if he wanted to got to lunch with me. (He's a Lawyer,) and as we left,, he locked the door,, as he's closed during lunch.

Not an uncommon thing in smaller towns or more rural areas. But also in some of the other bigger towns as well.

bangerjim
04-07-2022, 09:40 AM
Not uncommon at all. They have to eat also! I know of several, mainly medical, accounting, and legal, that have always closed up and no live phone person over the lunch hour. You just leave a message and they call back.

Not a big problem to me on that. I like to eat also!

brass410
04-07-2022, 10:33 AM
If you wanna work 24hrs a day 7 days a week, just work for yourself cause thats what people will expect of you. The minute you take time off for family life or a sanity break they'll be sure to let you know how inconsiderate you are and undeserving of their patronage. I dont miss them at all when they come crawling back because they really couldnt do better elsewhere service or price wise.

MaryB
04-07-2022, 12:41 PM
Common here, most places in town close over lunch but usually someone is there until 12:15 or they come back at 12:45 in case someone needs something. All it takes is a call and they will stay open and wait for you to get there... or talk to someone at the cafe because that is where everyone heads to eat LOL lot of business gets done at lunch time!

TyGuy
04-07-2022, 12:47 PM
When we were in Munich I noticed that everything except the food stands and restaurants seemed to close at lunch time. Most folks gathered in the biergartens or parks and ate lunch together in the fresh air. It was refreshing compared to the rushed lunch in a cinder block dungeon I’m used to having. I do understand needing to get things done over your lunch break as well but the fellowship at lunch was a neat experience that I think we could benefit from.

Handloader109
04-07-2022, 03:04 PM
If you don't know a business's hours, don't expect them to be open to your whim. My local CVS closes daily 1 to 2pm. Only one pharmacist and less than pre covid techs. The new, old normal. We've been spoilt by Walmart, etc 24-7 hours. You have a phone, use it.
I have a small, one man, me, engraving business. I had hours posted, M-F and part day in Sat precovid. I changed to by appointment since covid and while I still have that posted, hours are Tues-Fri 9 to 4, and totally by appt on Sat. And even then, a lot of folks want to show up 5pm, 6pm....

If yah don't like it, go elsewhere....and that goes for anything

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Shawlerbrook
04-07-2022, 03:35 PM
If you think it’s bad here go to Europe, they take siestas for most of the afternoon in some countries. With so much business going online and with a culture where not working is no longer shameful, it will get worse.

M-Tecs
04-07-2022, 03:56 PM
It's fairly common in rural areas. In my hometown the PO still closes from 12:30 to 1:30.

.429&H110
04-07-2022, 05:15 PM
From a Yankee point of view, if your employees punch out for an hour a day, you can cover nine hours and pay them for eight. When I was riding around in my service truck, I was always docked a half hour a day for "lunch", losing 10 hours a month of overtime. 120 hours a year. Two week's pay.

I for one am tired of hearing that "people" do not want to work.
It's a untrained boss problem and HR is useless.
Woke people cannot, must not, even try to run a business.
People need leadership or they doze off.

My last boss figured out how to work millenials.
Simple.
Work them Saturdays.
Then they show up for 40 hours to defend the overtime.
Paying them 50 hours got their attention.
Can anybody afford to work part-time and run a car? Just no.

DDriller
04-07-2022, 06:49 PM
Our doctor's office and pharmacy both close for lunch. Doc from 12-1 Rx from 1-2. My barber also takes lunch from 1:30 - 2:15 since his partner had to retire.

farmbif
04-07-2022, 07:01 PM
post office here, just a bit bigger than a closet, closes every day at 11am. many of the businesses in this area are closed on Wednesday and quite a few take an hour off for lunch. that's just the way it is

myg30
04-08-2022, 09:21 AM
Before covid, the post office sub stations near me started to close for lunch and the main office by the airport reduced its man power and the lines were long and slow.
When covid hit not sure if anything changed much.
Several business places around here close for lunch and the pharmacy at several places take a lunch.

Remember when EVERYTHING was closed on Sundays !!!! Family day for God and dinner !

Mike

gwpercle
04-08-2022, 10:35 AM
There is still a shortage of workers .
A local sandwich shop closes at 2 PM now, the owner said it was because they couldn't get enough staff for a second afternoon-evening shift .
Where I worked (4 person business) we tried to have at least one person in the office at lunch ...but some day's it wasn't possible ... Times have changed !
I remember quite well when all businesses were closed on Sunday ... and the times when you couldn't sell booze on Sunday !
Gary

bedbugbilly
04-08-2022, 10:50 AM
It doesn't surprise me one bit. I run into it with a number of doctor offices as well as my dentist. As far as others such as stores, I've run into it as well but I fully understand the reasons for it. So many places have problems even being able to find people to work let alone being able to schedule it so that they can have someone to be there to "cover" the bio noon hour . . . and as inconvenient as it may be for someone . . . someone who is using THEIR lunch hour to run errands etc - others are entitled to have time to eat their lunch as well.

When I had my custom millwork/cabinet shop . . . I had posted hours . . . which included being closed for lunch from 12:00 to 1:00. I was open from 7:00 to 12:00 and 1:00 to 5:00 five days a week and from 7:00 to 12:00 on Saturdays. Still, I had people complain because I wasn't open earlier later, on Sunday, etc. because my posted hours did not "fit their schedule". Yes a business depends on its customers but for anyone who has been self employed, they know that there would be those who would complain if you were open 24/7. Not to mention those who would stop in for "free advice e" on how to do something yet never spent a dime . . . all of which took up my time that I needed to be working in the shop for paying customers.

As a kid . . . 60 years ago . . . . I well remember a number of stores that would close at noon . . . but people were more patient in those days and understanding . . . . unlike so many of the folks today that seem to think the world revolves around them.

With the way things are right now and how the country is being run . . . and the number of small businesses that have had to close completely as a result of the pandemic and "mandates" . . . . we ought to be happy that some of the stores were able to keep their doors open after all of it . . . especially with the high inflation, supply issues, the Left wanting to pay people "not to work" etc.. smaller businesses having to close at noon so all who work there can have an uninterrupted lunch seems like a small price to pay . . . . especially when the alternative could be to be closed permanently.

truckjohn
04-08-2022, 11:05 AM
Yep. What so many have said. What are you supposed to do when you can't staff lunch? Stealing hourly employees lunch breaks violates federal labor laws, and owners get grouchy when they don't stop for food.

One of the primary reasons so many school districts were losing teachers is that the schools gave them 20 or 30 minutes for "lunch," but then demanded they spend it on patrol duty, effectively shorting them out of lunch every single day. Maybe it's fine if you are making money, but most teachers with less than 10-years in make less than pizza delivery guys. Especially now in states that increased the minimum wage. In Florida and Missouri, you can make more as a cashier in Aldi or McDonalds than you can as a 1st year teacher with a masters degree.

That said, many work around it. If lunch is a busy time, they man it and then close down at 11 or maybe 1:30... But if your business primarily caters to other businesses, you take lunch when they take lunch, because they will be lined up at your door at 1:00.

But for example, CVS only has one actual pharmacist on staff per shift. All the rest are techs, but they can't dispense medical advice. Since they don't want to hire more, they just close the pharmacy for their lunch.

.429&H110
04-08-2022, 03:12 PM
Federal Labor Laws were written by Yankees, for Yankees,
and they obey them like AZ drivers obey a speed limit.

Baltimoreed
04-08-2022, 05:15 PM
On a trip to Ireland many years ago we discovered that most of the stores in small towns would close for lunch. The pubs were open though. Stayed in B&Bs. A beautiful place with lovely people. Lotta sheep.

Kimber1911
04-08-2022, 07:21 PM
Pretty sure our post office is only open from 9-4:30 and they close from 11:30 to 1 for lunch, it is absurd

Big Tom
04-08-2022, 08:38 PM
When I grew up (in Germany), it was very much normal that businesses were only open from 8am to 6pm, closed for an hour over lunch, on Saturdays closed at 1pm and nothing was open on Sundays except for the Church. Less convenient than the almost normal 24x7 open today, but people could easily live with the "limited" hours. I kind of find it positive that some companies like the Chicken Fila stores are closed on Sundays to let employees have time with the families.

Minerat
04-08-2022, 09:19 PM
If you wanna work 24hrs a day 7 days a week, just work for yourself cause thats what people will expect of you. The minute you take time off for family life or a sanity break they'll be sure to let you know how inconsiderate you are and undeserving of their patronage. I dont miss them at all when they come crawling back because they really couldnt do better elsewhere service or price wise.

And that the prices went up 25% to cover putting up with their bad attitude or more likely I just have to big a job list right not to take on any new clients, sorry.

Ed K
04-08-2022, 10:27 PM
I've ran into a couple of these lately in which I needed to get something done between noon and 1:00 pm only to discover that the business is completely closed .

Apparently your productivity must be low from noon until 1:00 as well :D

Truthfully I can understand your point but what bugs me the most is quitting early and going to a 9-5 place only to find at 4:40 they've closed early!

trebor44
04-09-2022, 01:03 PM
"Closed for lunch" - making America Great Again!

Buzz Krumhunger
04-09-2022, 03:16 PM
It seems to me that if a business has a couple of employees who have enough imagination to eat lunch at 11:00 instead of noon, they can stay open at noon to serve their customers who take lunch at noon.

Idaho45guy
04-09-2022, 07:19 PM
Apparently your productivity must be low from noon until 1:00 as well :D

It's very low, since I don't start work until 2:30. :mrgreen:

If I need to get something done, I get ready for work early and run into town a couple of hours before I have to be at work, so I have between noon and 1:30 to get tasks done.

Post office in my tiny town is closed every day at noon, and opens up between 1:00 and 1:30. Totally closed on weekends and by 4:30 weekdays.

Wis Tom
04-11-2022, 10:15 AM
At least your eating places are still open, as alot around here never made it through the bug lockouts, and just closed the doors. Get use to the norm, as I don't see this problem getting better, any time soon. I can't imagine these small time diners keeping up with the prices of food shooting through the roof, and keeping a current menu updated. Has to be hard to manage.

MaryB
04-11-2022, 01:45 PM
Local cafe has a sign on the door, prices will change daily, please read the menu board behind the bar to see the percentage... then they write in the add on fee, currently running about 15% due to the cost of meat(if you can find it!) and it lists menu items they do not have that day due to shortages. They are still doing okay, they did take out during the lock down and people just sat out front on the patio to eat. In winter they put a party tent over the tables and had 3 heaters running.

Geezer in NH
04-20-2022, 03:07 PM
Here in New England Clams and Lobsta have all been priced at "Market Price" ask before ordering unless you really want them.

Don't forget to tip your waitress as they work for under min wage. I also tip in cash not on the restaurant tab. To many of my family's and DW family have worked as waitresses and have gotten shorted when you do not give them the tip yourself.

brass410
04-20-2022, 05:03 PM
It doesn't surprise me one bit. I run into it with a number of doctor offices as well as my dentist. As far as others such as stores, I've run into it as well but I fully understand the reasons for it. So many places have problems even being able to find people to work let alone being able to schedule it so that they can have someone to be there to "cover" the bio noon hour . . . and as inconvenient as it may be for someone . . . someone who is using THEIR lunch hour to run errands etc - others are entitled to have time to eat their lunch as well.

When I had my custom millwork/cabinet shop . . . I had posted hours . . . which included being closed for lunch from 12:00 to 1:00. I was open from 7:00 to 12:00 and 1:00 to 5:00 five days a week and from 7:00 to 12:00 on Saturdays. Still, I had people complain because I wasn't open earlier later, on Sunday, etc. because my posted hours did not "fit their schedule". Yes a business depends on its customers but for anyone who has been self employed, they know that there would be those who would complain if you were open 24/7. Not to mention those who would stop in for "free advice e" on how to do something yet never spent a dime . . . all of which took up my time that I needed to be working in the shop for paying customers.

As a kid . . . 60 years ago . . . . I well remember a number of stores that would close at noon . . . but people were more patient in those days and understanding . . . . unlike so many of the folks today that seem to think the world revolves around them.

With the way things are right now and how the country is being run . . . and the number of small businesses that have had to close completely as a result of the pandemic and "mandates" . . . . we ought to be happy that some of the stores were able to keep their doors open after all of it . . . especially with the high inflation, supply issues, the Left wanting to pay people "not to work" etc.. smaller businesses having to close at noon so all who work there can have an uninterrupted lunch seems like a small price to pay . . . . especially when the alternative could be to be closed permanently.

No truer words have been spoken , KUDOs, well articulated not as crass as mine

ebb
04-21-2022, 01:40 PM
Several years ago i went on my lunch hour to renew canceled carry permit, in Florida it is the dept of agriculture. Waited in line for about 5 minutes and went through the process handed the guy the cash and he tells me no read the sign. Up on the wall it says no cash! I get back way to late to return to work on time with a money order, as I waited I looked around in case I missed any other signs, and noticed the employees. Then it hit me I would trust any of these freeks of nature with cash ether.

MT Gianni
04-23-2022, 12:17 PM
Blame the work from home epidemic.

nicholst55
04-23-2022, 08:32 PM
Our local (very small town) post office closes from 12:30 to 1:00 for lunch. While I understand that people must eat, it would seem to me that closing during the time that most of your customers can come by to conduct business is counterintuitive. I'm retired and it's close by, so I can always come back. The folks still working? Not so much.

deltaenterprizes
04-24-2022, 02:23 PM
Just about all of the doctors offices close completely here for lunch!