PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 plug

Junior1942
01-22-2009, 04:59 PM
How do you put a plug in a Mossberg 500 shotgun? Does the nut on the end of the mag tube come off? Does the mag tube unscrew? Is there a trick? I couldn't get it to move.

handyrandyrc
01-22-2009, 05:16 PM
They are a beast. It's mentioned all over the web about the apparant difficulty of getting that tube unscrewed. Padded channel locks? It does unscrew, they must have a gorilla putting them on at the factory, however! I don't know if they use thread lock or not, perhaps a little warmth will help as well?

richbug
01-22-2009, 05:24 PM
You simply cut a length of 5/16" wooden dowel rod(8" or so IIRC), and drop it through the hole where the barrel bolt screws in.

The mag tubes have been loctited in on several that I have removed. Lots of trouble to remove if it is.

dk17hmr
01-22-2009, 06:12 PM
I used at dowel like what richbug said. Worked well for me.

BD
01-22-2009, 07:06 PM
These days the stock M500 plug is a piece of 1/4" dowel with a rubber "O" ring slid on about 1" down from each end. It drops through the hole in the muzzle end of the mag tube once the barrel is removed. I'll measure mine when I get home and report back if you need to make yourself one.

Before you back off the nut to remove the barrel you need to open the action 1/2 way so the bolt isn't locked into the barrel hood.

The barrel mounting nut which screws into the end of the mag tube carries a spring loaded ball and it's "seat" on the end of the tube has a series of detents around the face. this arrangement keeps the barrel nut from coming loose under recoil. It also makes it possible to hand tighten the nut beyond your ability to hand loosen the same nut. It doesn't need to be that tight, but when that occurs you just back it off a bit with some padded vice grips until it's back in the range of hand strength.

The mag tube threads into the receiver. For reasons known only to themselves the factory puts thread locker on the mag tube threads. A brief heating with a propane torch will release the thread locker so you can screw the mag tube out by hand. Just a bit too hot to touch is all it takes. I can see no reason why this part would need thread locker so I never put any back on it.

My M500 came from the factory with plenty of burrs and machining tracks on the stamped metal action parts which left the action about as smooth as a box of rocks. It improved a good deal after a fluff and buff. Unfortunately the bolt itself can't be removed without a real press so there's a limit to what you can accomplish in front of the TV. My M500 also came with enough old half dry machining oil in themag tube that it turned into a single shot one cold snowy day goose hunting. Thats when I spent the time figuring out how to remove the mag tube. have fun with it.
BD

Junior1942
01-22-2009, 07:25 PM
These days the stock M500 plug is a piece of 1/4" dowel with a rubber "O" ring slid on about 1" down from each end. It drops through the hole in the muzzle end of the mag tube once the barrel is removed. I'll measure mine when I get home and report back if you need to make yourself one. BDPlease measure the length as I'd like to get it right the first try. It's for my brother the general's gun. We came in from duck hunting and he casually said, "My shotgun holds five shells in the magazine."

I said, "What?!!!!"

He had no idea it was illegal. . . .

wills
01-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Please measure the length as I'd like to get it right the first try. It's for my brother the general's gun. We came in from duck hunting and he casually said, "My shotgun holds five shells in the magazine."

I said, "What?!!!!"

He had no idea it was illegal. . . .

Just swap guns when the game warden comes around

Channel locks do work, and if all else fails you could consider looking at the owners manaul. Amazing all the wonderful stuff you can find on the internet.

http://www.mossbergs.com/manuals/500_835_590_535_en.pdf

http://www.mossberg.com/content.asp?ID=520&section=service

BD
01-22-2009, 08:50 PM
The stock "plug" in my M500 consists of a piece of 1/4" pine dowel. It looks like it was cut to length by a 5 year old with a hacksaw. It measures 8 7/8", (they were probably trying for 9"), and it has a rubber "O" ring slid on 1" in from each end. The OD of the "O" rings installed on the dowel is 3/8".
BD

Junior1942
01-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks, BD. I owe you. Wills, thank you for the manual.

kycrawler
01-22-2009, 10:48 PM
how about using a pencil ?

JIMinPHX
01-23-2009, 02:13 AM
how about using a pencil ?

What?? In this age of computers!!!

:kidding:

Junior1942
01-23-2009, 09:29 AM
how about using a pencil ?I told my brother to cut a pencil to 8 7/8" length and drop it in the hole in the end of the magazine tube.