PDA

View Full Version : EMF 92 Trapper-Split case .357 ?

square butte
01-22-2009, 04:00 PM
OK, I finally broke down and got a new .357 trapper 92 EMF copy. Round #8 out of the gun split up the side. Fired another 12 rounds or so without another split. What I was shooting were remainder of a box of older Winchester nickel case 158gr. lubaloy coated lead slugs. Seems like a fairly mild loading. What I notice about fired cases are a slight shoulder on one side of fired case (probably raised about .002 ( approx.), Calipers are down right now) Which does not seem excesive compared to some other ridges I've seen. Also primer is back about .002 as well. Ridge is a quarter inch or so ahead of the rear of case and split runs from just behind ridge to a quarter inch or so behind case mouth - really just looks like a crack. I am not photo capable at this point- otherwise I would post one. My best guess would be a slight bit of headspace problem + a brittle older nickel case. Anybody have any recomendations? It's a fun gun to shoot , what little of it i've done, and am hoping not to have to return it. I just hate that whole process and have done it more than once. Guess i'll have to find someone with a go/no go guage. Anyone else had this problem with the .357 EMF 92. Thanks

Calamity Jake
01-22-2009, 04:31 PM
"a brittle older nickel case" That pretty much says it all. And another reason I don't use nickel cases.

square butte
01-22-2009, 05:49 PM
It was a factory loaded new round - just an older box. Don't think lubaloy has been around since the late 60's or so.

KCSO
01-22-2009, 06:35 PM
This is typical of the older niclked cases, when we shot 38's on the range we got a coupple of these every range session. Not to worry, get some good new cases and go to loading.

square butte
01-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Whew. .... Thanks for the reasurance. Still gonna check it with a headspace gauge. Then dig out my plain brass.

Buckshot
01-23-2009, 05:30 AM
.................The rimed 357 headspaces on the rim so "Headspace" is between the breechface and the boltface. You can check it yourself. Get some stickynotes. Cut some squares off the adhesive end to fit the base of a cartridge case without hanging over the edge. Stick one on and close the bolt. Repeat until you can feel some resistance.

Peel off the stack and mic the thickness. This is the total headspace (or within a scant thousandth or so).

..............Buckshot

square butte
01-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the response Buckshot. I've got the post it notes handy. Any idea what sould be the limit on headspace. I see it's your birthday today. Would ask you how it feels to be another year older, but will refrain because I know that you know it beats any of the alternatives. I'm pretty sure we all appreciate the talent and especially the good humor you bring to the members here. Hope your birthday is a good one. Tell your wife she's gotta do somthin nice for you.

square butte
02-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Just an update. My local gunsmith took a look at it and says it's definately got excesive headspace. Looks like i'll be sending it back to EMF. Anybody ever deal with them on a warranty issue such as this?