PDA

View Full Version : Crown question

XTR
04-03-2022, 09:37 PM
I’ve got a new to me Ruger #3 in 30-40 Krag. It is in after market wood that looks like a target stock of some kind with a 27“ tube. Resembles a #1 more than a #3 but not really.

In any case, it’s heavier than I want but it’s a starting place. It’s going to shoot cast 200g bullets at about 2000fps, not that different from the original 30US loads.

in any case, bore scoping the barrel looks pretty much new; however, the crown looks like the lands were slightly beveled, this isn’t someone just breaking the edge, it’s almost like a short reversed lead.

Ever seen one like that, and will something like that be a problem?

Should have grabbed a picture with the bore scope. It’ll be a couple of weeks till I’m home again.

For giggles I have tested it with cast 200s and N150, looks like it’s going to work, no groups to brag about…. Two to three inches at 100 yds, but its a starting point.

Winger Ed.
04-03-2022, 10:01 PM
How much of the end of the lands were cut would depend on the angle of the crowning tool
and how far down into the bore it reached.
As long as the lands are cut true to the bore, it shouldn't matter what angle or depth the edges are.

John Taylor
04-04-2022, 03:04 PM
Shoot it and see if there is a problem.