PDA

View Full Version : The economics of hand loading

Drew P
04-03-2022, 10:22 AM
So, I’ve been on here a lot less lately. Due to a few factors I’ve been shooting a lot less, and tinkering in the loading room a lot less also. Even sold off about 1/3 of my guns and a bit of the reload tools also. It’s a shame, but it’s the reality I face. But, then a friend presented a piece for sale and I had to buy it, but it’s in a caliber I don’t load for. I won’t shoot it much, but it will look nice in the safe. SO, the SMART thing to do would be to buy two boxes of factory ammo for it and happily own it and maybe shoot it a few times in the next decade. But is that what I did? Of course not! Instead I HAD to tool up for a new caliber and cartridge. So, new die set (best I can find) with extra seating die of course, new mold from Slovenia, sizing setup, etc etc etc…. Even sprung for a new Mec marksman press because, well, I’m a moron with more $ than brains, and I don’t have much $. So, the press I can’t blame on the new piece entirely, but just the case specific tooling ads up to about 375$ so that’s how much it costs to get into a new gun lol. Now, I know hand loading is NOT about economics, but I just thought I’d share this because I thought it was funny. To spend almost 700$ to load for a gun that I’ll never shoot. Oh well, at least the tools will not lose significant value over time lol.

dondiego
04-03-2022, 10:37 AM
Maybe you should shoot it a lot....??!!

Drew P
04-03-2022, 10:40 AM
I’d like to but I’m just not super inspired to shoot lately. Only went once during whole pandemic. It’s a long story with multiple facets. I tend to get into guns and shooting in waves so I’ll probably be doing more at some point, and boy will I be ready then lol!

zymguy
04-03-2022, 11:49 AM
what calibur ?

Drew P
04-03-2022, 12:20 PM
44spec/mag. My pistol casting had previously jumped from 9mm to 45.
I was unhappy to see that rcbs has discontinued most of the cowboy die line, but I was happy to find a set for 44 still on shelf. They roll crimp those, so I got a taper crimp die to get my station separation and also pick up the option of swapping them if I want to try taper crimping at some point, which I may for reduced loads.

Can someone remind me what a “profile crimp” die is?

BK7saum
04-03-2022, 12:21 PM
I usually buy RCBS and Redding dies. On normal rifle calibers, a $40 set of dies and a $35 box of bullets, and $60 bag of brass gets me 100 rounds of ammo for about the cost of 4 boxes of factory ammo.

The break even part on reloading dies brass is about 3 to 4 boxes of ammo for me. Now more niche/obsolete/wildcat chamberings might be a few more. But if it a firearm I plan to have for years to come and plan to shoot on at least a small scale, Im buying dies and components every time.

I bought a 357 Herrett contender package, It came with dies and brass. I shot it a few times and decided it wasnt for me, then sold it for what I gave for it.

I bought a used 458 socom upper to try out, 100 new brass and new Lee dies. Decided i didn't want to keep it and made a few bucks on the investment.

Point is, I never consider dies, brass and components a losing proposition. They always have value (moreso than factory ammo that is shot up and you have 1x fired brass left(also with value).

I have sold molds lightly used for what I gave new. It was still a fair deal even at that.

BK7saum
04-03-2022, 12:23 PM
Now that I see what your caliber is, yeah, I'd go all in on the reloading side of it. One, you dont have to shoot full house magnums all the time, and you will shoot a whole lot more with the downloaded ammo.

mdi
04-03-2022, 12:47 PM
I'd like to shoot more, but life sometimes gets in the way. 75th birthday, stroke, weather have slowed down my shooting quite a bit, but I just bought a new gun (??). It's just another 9mm, but no other cartridges interest me at this time, except maybe 10mm (I already have 32 ACP, 380 ACP, 9mm, 44 Spec/Mag. 45 ACP and 45 Colt). I get much of my enjoyment reloading a few here, a few there, trying different component combos, fabricating shooting accessories and shooting whenever I'm able...

FWIW; 44 Magnum is one of the most versatile cartridges around today. For many years the 44 was my most favorite caliber and I soon had 5 guns for it and I reloaded everything from 123 gr balls up to 265 gr RNFP "T-Rex Killer" loads (with just a few 300 gr wadcutters). If I were to recommend a caliber for shooting and reloading (for an experienced shooter/reloader) it would certainly be the 44 Magnum...

Land Owner
04-03-2022, 12:59 PM
You cannot (unless you just want to) assign all of the cost of the "new Mec marksman press" strictly to this caliber, unless you never intend to, or cannot load another caliber on it. Do your other caliber dies not "fit" the marksman press?

I am, in my way, in your same boat...I too have lost momentum for reloading and range time. I certainly have lost a step or two in food plotting. Hunting, previously a necessity for life - like breathing - is less demanding of my time. My 28-year hunting host in South Carolina said I am no longer "mad at the deer" (or hogs on my land in Florida I suppose).

Casting lead has been a saving grace though. I have arithmetically increased my stores of cast boolits.

To my wife's discontent, after hospitalization and recovery from viral and bacteriological pneumonia (Covid), I had some initial difficulty with O2 saturation, was on supplemental O2 for weeks as I got stronger, and was easily tired by very little exertion (not the underlying issue with my inertia). After being laid up about 6-weeks (incl. recovery), feeling better, and weaned off the O2, I started pouring boolits from a new 4-cav, HP, brass, Mihec mold (and an old 2 -cav, aluminum, 223 Bator mold) and kept pouring daily for 3 straight weeks. Now THAT was fun! I got a bit of recharge in that! I am still not motivated to reload those boolits, but they ARE calling me toward that AND shooting some too.

I'm hoping my inertia (and yours) will eventually decrease and life will get back to the hobby pursuits that have historically been requirements for day-to-day happiness, Find something you love to do and JUST DO IT. The repetition will do your soul good.

rbuck351
04-03-2022, 01:04 PM
It's difficult for me to find a gun I want that I don't already have everything to load and cast for. The last one I bought that I had to buy extra loading stuff for is a 7.7 Jap. I already had dies so all that is left is a boolit mold. Mine has a rather generous bore of .316.

dverna
04-03-2022, 02:31 PM
I only reload for two reasons. To save money or make ammunition I cannot purchase.

Yesterday I sized four large coffee cans of .223 brass. Using my stash of "stuff", I can produce a box of 55 gr SP varmint loads for $.21/rd. Equivalent factory is $.75/rd if you can find it. Heck brass FMJ is going for $.50!

There is still an economic incentive to reload ammunition. BTW even with $150/k primers, $400/jug powder and $120/k bullets I can reload .223's for $.47/rd. That is about $6/box less than factory SP.

Green Frog
04-03-2022, 02:37 PM
I can only add to this discussion that without reloading I would not have been able to do even a fraction of the shooting I’ve done over the last forty plus years. Actually it was nearly fifty years ago when I started loading 12 ga for shooting skeet and trap at the local Izaak Walton club, but it wasn’t until a few years later that Dad and I had accumulated enough loading and casting gear to be able to reload for everything we were shooting. From 38 WCs for PPC to 32-40s for Schuetzen and 45-70s for BPCS, loading my own has been the way I’ve gone. I don’t know how much I’ve spent on equipment and components over the last forty years, but nothing like what all that factory ammo would have cost over the years. I can’t begin to dream what they would cost now. By keeping a goodly backlog of components due to buying in bulk when opportunities arose, I have weathered a couple of panics and even now have enough powder, lead, and primers “in stock” to continue shooting about anything I want as often as I want, probably as long as I’m physically able (assuming I don’t go back to skeet… those 209 primers are tough!)

The point is, reloading becomes a lifestyle, and while starting it now would be a rich man’s pursuit, those of us who have done it for decades have a different set of experiences). Could I/would I start from scratch now? I’d probably take up archery or get deeper into SCUBA diving (if travel restrictions would allow) because all things shooting related would be out of reach for a poor man like myself.

Froggie

hoodat
04-03-2022, 02:40 PM
I started reloading out of economic necessity when I was fourteen years old, and the economic factor has remained a big part of it all my life.

Except for 22 LR, and shotgun shells, I've bought an incredibly small amount of factory ammo in my entire life. Also, I now possess several firearms, (some of my favorites) that are impossible to find factory ammo for, even if I wanted to.

Knowing what I know now, If I was only wanting to load for a handgun, and nothing else, I'd spend a hundred bucks for a Lee hand press, Lee dies, and a Lee Tumble Lube mold, and "get with it". jd

Iowa Fox
04-03-2022, 03:14 PM
Drew one thing to consider is that a lot of people spend a lot more than that in a single night at the gambling joints and have absolutely nothing to show for it the next day. At least we have something to show for our expenditures. I know I'm not selling my stuff what I paid for it 50 years ago. Stuff like the S&Ws still in the box, mod 42 Winchesters, Dillon reloaders.

I say us old guys need to make ourselves happy buying all the shooting stuff we want.

Froogal
04-03-2022, 03:31 PM
Good to know that others do things a bit backwards like I've been known to do. Several years ago I would buy a box of 9mm ammo everytime I was in a store that sold it, but I didn't own a 9mm gun to use it in. Of course I do now.

Latest backward venture was to buy a set of reloading dies, a bullet mold, and a sizing/lube die, all to accomodate a lever action 44-40, which I do not yet own, but that's OK, 'cause I have no brass either.

shooter bob
04-03-2022, 03:44 PM
Honestly I try not too think about it the economics of it

truckjohn
04-03-2022, 03:54 PM
I'm with you guys on taking hobby stuff in waves. Part of it is horses for courses.... Life hands you lemons so you make lemon pie.

Don't force it. Let things ride. I honestly think some of the ebb and flow helps thin the herd of stuff we accumulate then decided we don't particularly like. For example, I fought 45ACP, and for the life of me can't get it to stop leading... So I gave up and shot jacketed. Life is too short, and cast runs great in my rifles. But now I've got a stack of 45 molds..

JimB..
04-03-2022, 03:57 PM
Redding profile crimp die gives a bit of taper crimp and then a bit of roll crimp as you screw it down.

Where did you find the cowboy dies for 44, I’d like to get a set.

gwpercle
04-03-2022, 04:55 PM
Fifty years from now you will be amazed how cheap everything was .

Casting boolits and reloading is my Hobby ... I find it fun and relaxing to do . No phone , deadline , contracts or obligatuions , just me and my pot and ladle ... Press and dies ... very relaxing to my soul.

You're allowed to spend money on your hobbies
Gary

MrWolf
04-03-2022, 05:02 PM
Back when I started reloading for 12 ga trap shooting 12 years ago, it made sense to reload as it cost me less when I bought everything, especially 7.5 magnum shot bags, in bulk. Easy transition to rifle and pistol calibers as I like being more self sufficient. I have basically everything I need to reload everything I own and then some. Last few years been really busy working around the house as much as I am able to which has drastically reduced my shooting time. Getting the itch again and hopefully by the end of summer I might be in a lot better position. After trap shooting, reloading for economy if scale was not even a factor as it is far more important to me to have what I want when I want it.

Texas by God
04-03-2022, 05:41 PM
I started reloading with a Lee Loader for my only rifle and my only pistol back in 1972. 22-250 and .38 S&W factory ammo was $5-7 a box! I couldn't afford that by milking cows! It was a no brainer for this kid- shoot more for the same money.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

jd9770
04-03-2022, 05:56 PM
I started reloading for 12ga in high school on a Lee press I bought at a garage sale. Over the years I started reloading pistol and rifle. The reason I reload is because I enjoy the process and using something I made for my enjoyment. Same reason I tie flys & jigs. And even made a few fishing rods. I really enjoy doing this type of stuff.

hoodat
04-03-2022, 06:52 PM
In our little town, the local gun show (two a year) would provide anyone with EVERYTHING needed to start and continue the hobby for around two hundred bucks. And I did just that for a buddy at the last show.

There are so many guys who have moved on from this world and their equipment is now on the market as a good deal for someone.

I'll admit though, they seem to have taken their primers with them. :sad: jd

Drew P
04-03-2022, 10:22 PM
Redding profile crimp die gives a bit of taper crimp and then a bit of roll crimp as you screw it down.

Where did you find the cowboy dies for 44, I’d like to get a set.midsouth had a few sets, as did natchez

Drew P
04-03-2022, 10:23 PM
Fifty years from now you will be amazed how cheap everything was .

Casting boolits and reloading is my Hobby ... I find it fun and relaxing to do . No phone , deadline , contracts or obligatuions , just me and my pot and ladle ... Press and dies ... very relaxing to my soul.

You're allowed to spend money on your hobbies
Gary
I agree, however at the moment I don’t feel like it’s even my hobby lol! So that’s why it’s a bit odd feeling. But I’ll swing back round I’m sure.

Drew P
04-03-2022, 10:30 PM
Now that I see what your caliber is, yeah, I'd go all in on the reloading side of it. One, you dont have to shoot full house magnums all the time, and you will shoot a whole lot more with the downloaded ammo.

Yes it’s true, it was on my list for those reasons so I’m happy to get this .432 stuff going. Then again I don’t even have tooling for 357 yet either! Gah!

Drew P
04-03-2022, 10:31 PM
Oh and I slugged barrel today but guess what, it’s 5 groove and I don’t have the machinists V block to measure those accurately so there’s another tool I “need” lol! I guess I’m back! I even organized the benches a bit today

justindad
04-03-2022, 11:05 PM
I read here someone used shim stock of 0.008” to 0.010” thick wrapped around the bullet to measure the groove DIA of odd count rifling. Got feeler gages?

Drew P
04-04-2022, 12:47 AM
I read here someone used shim stock of 0.008” to 0.010” thick wrapped around the bullet to measure the groove DIA of odd count rifling. Got feeler gages? yeah I’m not a fan of that method vs the math and v block method particularly. Buying 3 reamers to make a go/no go block might be better but not cheap.

M-Tecs
04-04-2022, 01:35 AM
yeah I’m not a fan of that method vs the math and v block method particularly. Buying 3 reamers to make a go/no go block might be better but not cheap.

These work great.

https://www.amazon.com/Shars-Measured-V-Anvil-Micrometer-303-2346/dp/B082QX2W3P/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2CT9V0TNIJ8TO&keywords=108+degree+v+micrometer&qid=1649050461&sprefix=108+degree+v+micometer%2Caps%2C69&sr=8-1

414gates
04-04-2022, 04:54 AM
Latest backward venture was to buy a set of reloading dies, a bullet mold, and a sizing/lube die, all to accomodate a lever action 44-40, which I do not yet own, but that's OK, 'cause I have no brass either.

I thought I was unique that way.

I bought a competition seating die first. I had no intention of getting a rifle for it, it was just cool to get the die.

Then I found a batch of new brass going cheap. So I bought the reamer as well, then had the rifle made.

Sixgun Symphony
04-04-2022, 06:48 AM
Maybe you should shoot it a lot....??!!

I second that.

murf205
04-04-2022, 06:51 AM
DrewP, look at the money you spent as an investment for being independent of shortages and political changes and whims. Now, more than ever, we know that these surely exist but you will be set to shoot/load at YOUR convenience-not the markets (assuming you have primers). Like I told a friend who was commenting on how many molds I had, "we might not be able to find bullets but we will never be out of BOOLITS.

Shawlerbrook
04-04-2022, 07:05 AM
These days I consider reloading equipment and components as a shooting insurance policy. Also a good investment if you purchased before the madness.

sharps4590
04-04-2022, 07:06 AM
Vintage firearms, vintage sports cars, vintage bamboo fly rods....yeah, I save money on all my hobbies.....in an alternate universe somewhere. In addition to dies, molds and perhaps even swaging dies, when you need a lathe and a mill, not to mention the tooling, to alter cases to fit your rifle so you can shoot it or, to make tools so you can form stuff, I'm so far in the hole that bottom looks like up.

charlie b
04-04-2022, 07:35 AM
I also started cartridge making back in the late 70's. .45acp cause I could not afford it. The hammer type Lee Loader. Then I got a Lee Turret press when they came out. Then a 10lb bottom pour pot (pan lube). As time went on I acquired a progressive press and dies for other calibers. Then a 20lb pot and more molds. Rifles/pistols came and went. My interest in the hobby ebbed and flowed over the years. Now days it is long range rifle.

And, similar in my other hobbies, like fly fishing, motorcycles, golf, RC airplanes, etc. You spend money in order to spend more time on the hobby. And things like fly tying, bullet making and building models become hobbies themselves. And sometimes the hobby can become a business that does make money, like we did on RC model airplanes.

Have I 'saved' money reloading? Not really. The investment in reloading stuff just meant that I got to shoot more for the same amount of money. And, yes, I have guns I don't shoot much so I don't have dies/molds for them.

pworley1
04-04-2022, 07:53 AM
I have been at this for over 50 years and if I had bought all the rounds I have fired instead hand loading cast I would have gone broke years ago.

robg
04-04-2022, 11:00 AM
i enjoy reloading as a hobby itself. i cast boolits because i enjoy that too.most of all i enjoy trigger time and i would have to cut back on that if i did not reload and cast.

Drew P
04-04-2022, 12:42 PM
I have been at this for over 50 years and if I had bought all the rounds I have fired instead hand loading cast I would have gone broke years ago.
Ah ha! This is the type of delusional thinking I love haha. The fact is true, but you’re not taking into account the reality that you probably would not have shot as many rounds, or even been tempted to, if you had not set up an ammo factory in your house. If I add up all the $ I’ve spent on reloading, it far exceeds the amount of $ I spent on ammo BEFORE getting into reloading, which accounted for many years of gun ownership and enjoyment. So, both can be true. Yes we enjoy shooting but I have to admit there have been times where I felt like I HAD to shoot more in order to free up brass so I could LOAD more lol. Those are the moments that simply do not happen in a non reloaders life.

charlie b
04-04-2022, 08:07 PM
You can see a "savings" in dollars by reloading IF......

For example, you may shoot IPSC matches twice a month, and practice the other two weekends. You may shoot 1000 rounds a month. That costs a certain amount. Now you reload. You shoot the same number of rounds but they cost a fraction of the commercial stuff. Over time you will end up 'paying' for your reloading gear and begin to 'make' money.

But, if the cheaper ammo means you compete and practice a LOT more, then you won't 'save' any money. You may end up spending more than if you never decided to reload, maybe even a lot more.

jdfoxinc
04-04-2022, 09:19 PM
Been reloading for 37 years +-. Maby the savings will show up.

Mal Paso
04-04-2022, 09:37 PM
For me it's the ability to shoot consistent ammo through all the shortages and restrictions. I was buying a 44 Mag revolver and the salesman said "You know there's no 44 Mag ammo available." I said "Oh ya there is."

dverna
04-04-2022, 09:39 PM
When I worked in Alabama there was a guy who worked for me who was a dedicated bass fisherman. I realized how inexpensive shooting was.

Goofy
04-04-2022, 09:41 PM
Recent prices for .416 Rigby ammo that I’ve seen run from $175-210 for a box of 20. They can be reloaded FAR cheaper than that.

Land Owner
04-05-2022, 05:07 AM
Ah ha! This is the type of delusional thinking I love haha. The fact is true, but you’re not taking into account the reality that you probably would not have shot as many rounds, or even been tempted to, if you had not set up an ammo factory in your house.

You acknowledge "the fact is true" than go on to suggest a hypothetical. What "reality" is there in your converted hypothetical "you probably"? Your words.

Your thread title is "The economics of hand loading". pworley shot what he shot, made what he shot because he's a hand loader, owns the hand loading equipment to make more, avoided the significantly higher cost of shooting factory ammo IN AN EQUAL AMOUNT OF SHOOTING, which would have dictated he shoot LESS FACTORY AMMO or go broke, and most certainly he's not a "delusional" thinker.

The fact is, you owe the man an apology.

barrabruce
04-05-2022, 07:09 AM
Well I’ve been loading off and on for 45 years.

Any one know when I might start to break even or see all these savings I’m going to make by hand loading and casting.

I have to fess up that with sadness and regret that I still have primeval urges every now and again to go to a gun shop.
Mainly only to stock up on my "precious stash" of powder and primers so I won’t run out.

Althou I do this less and less over the years the quantities I buy have gotten larger.

The guilt and remorse only lasts a while till I get over the sticker shock and have everything squirrelled way and I forget till things get low again.

If you change the words "gun shop" with "dealer or pub" and "powder and primers" with "drugs or grog"

Is this the words of some sort of junkie?

Ohh well it could be worse I suppose.
:veryconfu Now I’m trying to justify my habit. :groner:

[smilie=s:[smilie=1:

Targa
04-05-2022, 07:47 AM
I started reloading and casting five years ago. I know that my reloading/casting equipment payed for itself after the first 50 rounds I loaded for each of my heavy hitters in .475 Linebaugh, .500 S&W, .44 mag, .454 Casull and 45-70. I can shoot these as much as my body can tolerate and let friends/family do the same without giving any consideration to dollar per round being launched down range.

I can’t imagine buying factory ammo for these things, it would make for a very short range session.

414gates
04-05-2022, 08:06 AM
Try this to show you how much you actually save compared to what you think you save.

https://ysterhout.net/docs/rifle-reloads-breakeven/index.html

brass410
04-05-2022, 09:52 AM
I reload to buy new rifles,when I have enough brass to reload, (equaling the price of the rifle) I get the rifle, that way it basicly costs nothing for me to have it. And I get to shoot for pennies on the dollar.

Grayone
04-05-2022, 09:55 AM
So, I’ve been on here a lot less lately. Due to a few factors I’ve been shooting a lot less, and tinkering in the loading room a lot less also. Even sold off about 1/3 of my guns and a bit of the reload tools also. It’s a shame, but it’s the reality I face. But, then a friend presented a piece for sale and I had to buy it, but it’s in a caliber I don’t load for. I won’t shoot it much, but it will look nice in the safe. SO, the SMART thing to do would be to buy two boxes of factory ammo for it and happily own it and maybe shoot it a few times in the next decade. But is that what I did? Of course not! Instead I HAD to tool up for a new caliber and cartridge. So, new die set (best I can find) with extra seating die of course, new mold from Slovenia, sizing setup, etc etc etc…. Even sprung for a new Mec marksman press because, well, I’m a moron with more $ than brains, and I don’t have much $. So, the press I can’t blame on the new piece entirely, but just the case specific tooling ads up to about 375$ so that’s how much it costs to get into a new gun lol. Now, I know hand loading is NOT about economics, but I just thought I’d share this because I thought it was funny. To spend almost 700$ to load for a gun that I’ll never shoot. Oh well, at least the tools will not lose significant value over time lol.

You know you have got it bad when you check and you have brass for a gun you don't even own. I recently started thinning the herd and got a good price for items, some even brought more than I expected. So if you bought something that has and investment value you can have your cake and eat it too! Just another way of looking at it.

Lifeshort
04-05-2022, 10:07 AM
I guess I am backwards in this. I started reloading in 1976 to get cheaper ammo so I could shoot more. Then started casting for the same reasons. Now I find myself wanting to go shooting so I can cast and reload more. I found casting and reloading to be the most enjoyable part for me.

Drew P
04-05-2022, 12:38 PM
You acknowledge "the fact is true" than go on to suggest a hypothetical. What "reality" is there in your converted hypothetical "you probably"? Your words.

Your thread title is "The economics of hand loading". pworley shot what he shot, made what he shot because he's a hand loader, owns the hand loading equipment to make more, avoided the significantly higher cost of shooting factory ammo IN AN EQUAL AMOUNT OF SHOOTING, which would have dictated he shoot LESS FACTORY AMMO or go broke, and most certainly he's not a "delusional" thinker.

The fact is, you owe the man an apology.
Ah cmon no offense intended. Two things can be true in this world. I’m in the same boat as everyone else here. I reload because it’s fun, it’s interesting, it’s science, and in some cases for some people it can save money. I’m just pointing out that if reloading were somehow not possible, it would not mean that guns would be more expensive as a hobby for 99% of us. And yes, that number is a hypothetical.

Froogal
04-05-2022, 02:36 PM
For me it's the ability to shoot consistent ammo through all the shortages and restrictions. I was buying a 44 Mag revolver and the salesman said "You know there's no 44 Mag ammo available." I said "Oh ya there is."

Not only that, but you can load them any way you want. Factory ammo comes pretty much in only one flavor, which usually produces a LOT of recoil. If you reload, you can tame them down to a much more comfortable level.

M-Tecs
04-05-2022, 02:54 PM
I started reloading at the age of 8 in 1968. I started competitively shooting trap in the early 70's. In the late 80's I switched to NRA Highpower and Bullseye pistol while also dabbling at various other competitions along with being a serious hunter. Total I have reloaded over a half million rounds. In addition to providing more accurate ammo or ammo that is not available reloading has also saved me at least $100,000.00 verse purchasing factory.

JoeJames
04-05-2022, 03:03 PM
Not only that, but you can load them any way you want. Factory ammo comes pretty much in only one flavor, which usually produces a LOT of recoil. If you reload, you can tame them down to a much more comfortable level.

One other point: factory ammo has to be produced with the lowest common denominator in mind. In 44 Special it appears to be .428 -.429 sized bullets. By casting and careful reloading I can come up with far more accurate rounds in .430 - .431.

dverna
04-05-2022, 03:20 PM
I started reloading at the age of 8 in 1968. I started competitively shooting trap in the early 70's. In the late 80's I switched to NRA Highpower and Bullseye pistol while also dabbling at various other competitions along with being a serious hunter. Total I have reloaded over a half million rounds. In addition to providing more accurate ammo or ammo that is not available reloading has also saved me at least $100,000.00 verse purchasing factory.

I am in the same boat having reloaded about 500k rounds. I did not come from a "gun family" and started to reload in my late teens...71 now. No way I could have shot as much buying ammunition. Reloading is not for everyone but it is for me.

Geezer in NH
04-05-2022, 04:13 PM
I started loading in high school in the sixties. I loaded everything until the laws on imports changed in the 80's, thank you Regan, I shot mil-surplus ammo as it was way cheaper and easier than reloading. Started reloading again when cheap dried up.

I would buy guns just to shoot up the odd surplus I could buy cheap.

Harter66
04-05-2022, 06:01 PM
I'm in a minority I guess in the casting and reloading world .

It costs me $20-55 for a die set unless it's 06' , 45 ACP , 45 Colts , or a type 38 or 99 Arisaka in which case I will have 2-5 sets of dies and miscellaneous dies trying to get neck sizing right plus the 3 sets of what if it was rechamered in a popular conversion cartridge .
It's $38-119 for a correct suitable mould unless it's a 6.5 or 45-70 or 7mm .......may as well include 30 cal in general ...... Then it takes at least 4 to get one that fits and you know a guy simply can't just go with the flow and just have a 350 gr class bullet for the 45-70 when there are 535s , 500s , 405-450s and a 255 RF available to make it a squirrel slayer suitable for bison and moose whacking because you just never know .

Then I need a sizer ....... Yeah so for 30s I only needed .310,.312, and .318 to go with a .453, .454 and .459 for the 45s and the 6.5s just needed a .258 , .265 , and a .272 to get some paper patch in a 264 WM and fill up the grooves in the almost 6.8×50SR Japanese . So yeah a custom sizer or 2 ......

See its cheap to set up a new cartridge only $80-400 . :)

Having cartridges like 264 WM , 45-70 , 45 Colts and Schofield , 38 Short to load for where shelf prices are $40+ per 20 or 50 in the glory days back in 2016/17' it doesn't take many rounds to pay for even the dumb purchases like a 3 cav NOE version of the 458132 that won't even chamber and extract from an 1895G .......the 45-500 FP @ 531 gr is good to go though , look good . At $150-200 for dies and moulds and $50/20 after taxes what's that like 120 rd and you're making money . Even counting lead and where primers and powder are heading , like I'll ever buy another can of Unique , it's less than $15/100 for the Cowboys and only about $22/100 for the rest . 223 is cheap but 222 isn't and if I'm all set up for 222 it's just a $35 set of 223 dies and that's a break even on 500 rounds . If I'm loading for 38/357 , 380 and 38 Short it's just a die set for 9mm and I'm thinking that 90 gr FP should hit about 1450 outta the 9.

Once the big ticket tools are making ammo , who NEEDs a Big Max , 2 RCs , a 008 Horn/Pac and a half dozen MECs , it's inexpensive to add on . So what if the tools are worth as much for new replacement as the arms they feed at fair market ? So what if you got a bargain and the tools and arms are at current market worth more than you paid for the house .......... Never buying a car/truck that costs more than my house so yeah 5+ yr old and over 100k miles .

I've saved 30-40 bucks reloading already and I've only been die hard exclusive use of handloads since 94' when I was saving $40/100 on steel shot .

beemer
04-05-2022, 09:14 PM
I started collecting the tools to reload as soon as I finished high school in 1970. Sometime around 71-72 I finally got started. Information was hard to find and I didn't know anyone that reloaded so I read a lot and figured it out. First was a 38 SPCL and then a 222 Rem.

I started casting for pistols around 1975 and rifles in the early 90's. Shotguns waited till 2010. My first powder coat was last week and they good look but haven't shot them yet. I even tinker around with paper patch. A single stage press and beam scales are on my bench and I see no reason to change. I don't hunt anymore and have never been one to just blast away so small batches work for me.

I really just enjoy going to my little one man loading room and tinkering with different things. Reloading is as enjoyable as seeing the results on paper. I didn't and don't have unlimited funds for shooting but reloading gives me more bang for the buck plus a lot of fun. That's priceless.

Dave

MT Gianni
04-05-2022, 11:58 PM
A few years back I put my rifle reloading down to 4 calibers. 22, 7mm, 30, and 35. I made sure that if I bought a new rifle it had to be in a cartridge that had one of those bore calibers. I waffled and bought an encore bbl in 243 but have kept all else the same. Pistols are still all over the map but the latest great deal might be in 338 and I will pass.

44Blam
04-06-2022, 12:23 AM
You simply MUST shoot that gun a lot! 44 Mag is my favorite caliber and what got me into both reloading and later casting.

The economics of 44 magnum is:
Factory ammo: $1 / round
Full tilt Ruger only ammo: X for primer + 0.20 fow W296 + 0.03 gas check ... I was paying about 3 cents for WLP so 26 cents
Moderate load: X for primer + 0.05 for unique (8 grain) ... 8 cents!
Cowboy load: X for primer + 0.08 for Trail Boss (6 grain) ... 11 cents!

Nothing like shooting full tilt 44 magnum...

So now primers are 11 cents so:
34 cents
16 cents
19 cents

VS a dollar +++

Forgot the cost of lead... I generally average say $1 / lb of lead. You get about 30 240 grain boolits in a lb. So... Add about 3 cents.

JoeJames
04-06-2022, 11:23 AM
I just finished a sleeve of Win Large Pistol (MAG) primers I had dug out of storage. I happened to look at the tag on the sleeve - Walmart $1.14 - my math ain't perfect; but that would have been at most $11.40 a carton. Must have bought them in about 1982 or so.

Drew P
04-07-2022, 12:59 AM
I just finished a sleeve of Win Large Pistol (MAG) primers I had dug out of storage. I happened to look at the tag on the sleeve - Walmart $1.14 - my math ain't perfect; but that would have been at most $11.40 a carton. Must have bought them in about 1982 or so.
I finished off some primers I purchased in 2018 for 19.95$ a brick, which is even cheaper than yours, inflation adjusted.

JoeJames
04-07-2022, 10:13 AM
I finished off some primers I purchased in 2018 for 19.95$ a brick, which is even cheaper than yours, inflation adjusted.That is true - one year into the Trump Administration - buyer's paradise!

35 Rem
04-08-2022, 07:37 AM
I started reloading when I was 16 and my Father bought me a MEC 600 in 12 gauge. I was a farm kid so worked all the time but since it was on our farm never got paid in actual money so i had zero money to buy ammo with. The most significant change that happened when I got the MEC was that I no longer had to beg for ammo one box at a time. Now I had a whole bag of shot, a lb of Red Dot, bag of wads, several boxes of primers....in other words I had the capability to load near 400 shells all of a sudden before having to restock! Same thing a year or two later when I started loading for my 30-30. I got bullets 100 at a time rather than a box of 20 rounds of factory ammo. I could shoot a lot more with one "batch" purchase of components. When i started casting bullets for my 44 magnum revolver a couple years later all of a sudden shooting became almost free. It was as cheap to shoot it as it was a 22 LR if you used Red Dot or Unique and loaded mild loads with wheel weights bullets.

Once I got out of college I had my own money of course and got a real practical deer rifle - a Weatherby Mark V in 460 Mag. :) I'd never have been able to justify such a chambering if I didn't reload. Much later I got one of the Remington 700 chambered 257 Weatherby's. Again, I'd have never bought that one either if I had to buy factory ammo for it. But for a reloader the only difference is in the up front cost of the brass for the more exotic/proprietary cartridges. So it all depends on what you are shooting as to how much you save by loading your own. As others have said loading gives other advantages besides cost savings that in some cases is more significant than money. Magnum revolver cartridges are one class that comes to mind. I love the 44 magnum but if i had to shoot nothing but factory ammo, even if it were free, I'd give serious thought as to whether or not I even wanted one. But once you have the flexibility of loading your own, the 44 magnum is extremely fun and versatile. The current situation with availability of factory ammo and components is another huge plus with loading your own and buying components in bulk when price and availability favor the buyer. If you do it right, these cyclic ammo famines don't affect you nearly as much as they do the majority of gun owners.

Rich/WIS
04-08-2022, 10:23 AM
Been reloading for over 50 years and casting for 48. When I started this journey equipment and components were reasonable and have added a lot of stuff from the original basics. Even adding the cost of the original and later items, and doing a lot more shooting than if buying factory, my equipment paid for itself many times over compared to store bought ammo. As an added plus my shooting skills improved with all the shooting. Still shoot a good bit but have slowed down some due to age (71) and arthritis.

Used to load for 38/357, 9mm and 44 Mag but those guns are gone down the road, still load 45 ACP, 243 Win, 30/40 Krag and 30/06. Except for a few J rounds for hunting all my shooting is with cast. After components got tight during the Obama years decided to stock up when times of plenty returned. Fortunately my finances permitted me to do this and have enough powder, primers, J bullets and alloy to see me off and leave a reasonable quantity for my son (who is also fully equipped and well stocked).

todd9.3x57
04-08-2022, 01:49 PM
back when i first started reloading, it was two rifles. now i need a bigger safe!!!!:bigsmyl2:

Froogal
04-08-2022, 01:56 PM
When you first start shopping for reloading presses, dies, etc., the price CAN be a bit intimidating, but the real beauty is that you have to buy it only once. Take care of it, don't abuse it, and you can pass it on down to your grand kids.

Geezer in NH
04-08-2022, 05:33 PM
When I started loading for shotguns {1972 or so} it was for my 12 Stevens pump. I bought a used 12ga Mec 600 JR {$15.00) with two bars one was an "0" bar the other a # "2". I used the 0 for trap and skeet, crows and upland woodcock and Patridge using Rem All American hulls $1.50 clay case full at club.

The 2 bar was used with #4's for snowshoe hare and pheasant, ducks. I bought 2's and BB's for geese. Also slugs and buck for deer. Hulls used were Winchester papers given to me by a guy who worked at Login airport shooting gulls and anything else that flew around the runways. Cases of them never needed to buy any.

Bought 2 types of wads Rem AA 1 1/8 load and Win 1 1/4 load if I remember right 500 count bags at $1.99- $2.50. Whoever's primers at $8.99 1K.

Powder was Red Dot the most expensive part at $40 buck an8 pound cardboard cylinder full. {why I learned to use it in pistol and light rifle loads)

I am sorry those days are past wife and I had lots of fun loading shells for the next trip out.

P Flados
04-08-2022, 11:00 PM
In my mid teens (in the 1970s) a new kid moved in across the street. He talked me into going bird & bunny hunting with him. My dad had a few guns including a 12 ga pump. We did not have good choices for where to hunt, but we did what we could.

Pretty soon, we started going to a gun range (not real close) and would use the "do it yourself" clay bird launchers and shoot an assortment of rifles.

Early on I got a 12 ga Lee loader and it payed for itself real quick. As we started spending more time shooting & hunting I tried one whack-a-mole (30-06) and was unimpressed. I think my Mom got me a real press for Christmas or a birthday. One of my Dad's guns was an old model 94 in 32-40. With reloads, I probably shot that gun more in a couple of years than any previous owner ever had.

Not long later, I ended up with a TC contender with a 10" octagon 357 mag. Then came the other barrels including a 30 Herrett.

For me, reloading has both enabled shooting at a reasonable cost and it has enabled shooting guns that otherwise would not have seen much if any use.

Now days I shoot quite a bit at a very close indoor range with my youngest son. We go through lots of handgun and AR-15 ammo. I supply almost all of the ammo we use.

I cast and either tumble lube or powder coat depending on gun / power level. I made one stroke check makers for a couple of calibers.

I stocked up with big internet primer/powder purchases before the current crisis. This included lots of Titegroup, Promo, WC 680 & WC 844 along with ample SRP and LPP, but less SPP/SPM than I really needed (at least 75% of my loading is small pistol).

Last December my stash of SPP was getting low (just over 2k). Instead of forking out $220 or so for another 2k, I invested that money in primer reloading stuff (thanks Castloader). Now most of my pistol ammo cost is down to under $0.05 a round with some as low as $0.03 per round.

Reloading has enabled me and my son to shoot what ever guns we want to shoot, as much as we want to shoot them, with ammo customized to meet our needs. Because I am cost careful with the details (select powder that cost less per round, use lighter boolits when possible, buy in bulk, scrounge lead, etc.) I do this without thinking much at all about my overall shooting costs.

In the past couple of decades, I have only bought "new cartridge" guns that I knew I would shoot enough such that the "tool up" costs would be minimal on a per round basis (327 fed, 7 tcu for IHMSA, 223, 300 BO).

Rickf1985
04-09-2022, 11:02 AM
Was watching a video by Jerry Miculek a while ago and he mentions that he checked his records and he had reloaded about 23,000 rounds so far that year! The video was posted in April of 2020 so 23,000 times three equals 69,000 rounds. Yea, I think he probably saves a bit by reloading. Link to video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ2CjzW0Dww

414gates
04-12-2022, 03:55 AM
There are other much more important benefits to reloading - the medical and psychological benefits.

Those of us who have been reloading for several decades understand this better.

Reloading is relaxing, lowers blood pressure, calms the mind and centers the soul.

Reloaders are better able to deal with the stress of daily life and more psychologically capable of dealing with adverse outcomes.

Reloading cultivates philosophical optimism towards life.

Land Owner
04-12-2022, 05:58 AM
I like your thinking *gates.

Estacado
04-12-2022, 10:38 AM
Got into shooting "Trap" in about 1970. I was in the Navy. I made almost zilch for money. Bought a MEC 600Jr. (Still have it!). You know what? I discovered I loved reloading as much as shooting Trap. I reloaded mine and any friends who supplied the components. Somewhere along the way I got into metallic reloading. Besides the enjoyment I get, I like the freedom. I can load what I want when I want. I learned my lesson several "shortages" ago. I am most likely set for life. What a wonderful hobby!

fredj338
04-12-2022, 03:23 PM
At the cost of factory ammo, it makes sense to buy dies even for something shot occasionally. I dont buy factory for anything but self def ammo & even that is too painful.

Shiloh
04-16-2022, 12:09 PM
We casters/reloader don't save money.
We get a lot more shooting per dollars spent.
Plus, I like it.

Shiloh

Drew P
04-17-2022, 11:05 PM
We casters/reloader don't save money.
We get a lot more shooting per dollars spent.
Plus, I like it.

Shiloh
That sums it up very succinctly