PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Scammers

JRLesan
04-02-2022, 06:12 PM
I received a PM from a (so called) member here who joined in APR22, has ZERO posts, and has been banned. His suggestion was to contact a third party via email about an item I was looking for some months ago. This is not the first time but the second time I have received a PM here from someone with ZERO posts. Spammer???

nicholst55
04-02-2022, 06:34 PM
I'd say so. Weird that he can still log in and send messages, though.

Is it the old 'Check with XXX, he has your exact WTB verbiage' scam?

ShooterAZ
04-02-2022, 06:35 PM
Not a Spammer, but a Scammer. WTB people here need to be on the lookout for this. We keep banning them, but they keep coming back as they have had a small degree of success in fleecing people on the site. They are usually brand new members with zero posts, and contacting WTB members via PM. PLEASE use the report post function for this type of activity, so we can deal with them appropriately.

hc18flyer
04-02-2022, 06:58 PM
I just had this happen to me! THANK YOU! For making me aware of this, I was questioning how it happened, hc18flyer

buckwheatpaul
04-02-2022, 07:25 PM
Not a Spammer, but a Scammer. WTB people here need to be on the lookout for this. We keep banning them, but they keep coming back as they have had a small degree of success in fleecing people on the site. They are usually brand new members with zero posts, and contacting WTB members via PM. PLEASE use the report post function for this type of activity, so we can deal with them appropriately.

What a great training aide....good job!

gwpercle
04-02-2022, 07:27 PM
They are like roaches ... no matter how many you kill , they just keep coming back .
Watch your PM's and don't reply to them .
It amazes what scammers can do and how hard they are to eradicate .
Gary

rancher1913
04-02-2022, 07:28 PM
always use the pm system here and not emails, that way the mods can see what goes on.

gwpercle
04-02-2022, 07:34 PM

I'm not computer smart ... what is and where is the "report post" function located ?
I will be glad to do it ... I'm looking on posts but don't see it ... Is that function on my PM's .
Gary

Moleman-
04-02-2022, 07:40 PM
Also worthwhile to go to your user panel and uncheck "receive emails from members". You'll still get PM's, but you'll eliminate an avenue for scammers to contact you.

ShooterAZ
04-03-2022, 10:47 AM
The report post function is the little black triangle with the exclamation point in it, just below your post count number. If you hover over it, it will say "report post".

dverna
04-03-2022, 11:54 AM
The report post function is the little black triangle with the exclamation point in it, just below your post count number. If you hover over it, it will say "report post".

Thank you for educating us!!! Well, at least me.

Red River Rick
04-03-2022, 05:18 PM

Daver7
04-03-2022, 05:27 PM
Now I know also.
THANKS

farmbif
04-03-2022, 05:29 PM
I got a pm offering to sell me some stuff a while back from a member who had zero posts. I sent message to NO1 about it and NO1 wrote back saying the member who made offer to sell stuff to me had been a member in good standing for something like 10 years, I forget how many to be exact, but I did not respond to the offers as I prefer to deal with people who are active participants here.

No_1
04-04-2022, 05:35 AM
The scam typically goes like this:

As stated before, the scam is usually a new member with little to no post count contacting you via PM with a deal for a item you may have bid on and missed or something you have a WTB ad for. This new member will direct you to contact someone else via email to complete the purchase. This other person always request a payment method which is not reversible and the amounts are too low for local LEO (to payment address) to mess with. This is a scam.

If you receive a message such as this please DO NOT FOLLOW THROUGH with the deal but instead use the report feature discussed below to report the action.

Shawlerbrook
04-04-2022, 07:10 AM
This is rampant on some other sites I belong to. Exactly like said by No 1 and usually a gmail address.

DougGuy
04-04-2022, 07:59 AM
My situation is a little different, but I get a considerable amount of 0 posts PM's looking for cylinder work they heard about on another site, google, friends, etc. None have come from scammers. They join in order to send me a PM. Hopefully these new members will be active and add something to the community.

clintsfolly
04-04-2022, 08:46 AM
I got the same scam pm to me too! My method of determination of scam was to go to the membership list and when the other party isn’t a member. Was going to. Pm No 1 but saw the the banning. Thanks to the group for watching everyone back!

FISH4BUGS
04-04-2022, 09:59 AM
I received a PM from a (so called) member here who joined in APR22, has ZERO posts, and has been banned. His suggestion was to contact a third party via email about an item I was looking for some months ago. This is not the first time but the second time I have received a PM here from someone with ZERO posts. Spammer???

Here is the PM I received:

H & R Arms Co. 1871-1986 by William E. "Bill" Goforth
I purchased some items from Hockett927 some days ago and H & R Arms Co. 1871-1986 by William E. "Bill" Goforth is among the items he showed me that he wanted to part out with. Maybe you should text him to know if it is still available.. Here's his email dougson804@gmail.com

I had been looking for this book for a long time and was excited to see one come up.
After a few email exchanges with dougson804@gmail.com, I sent the money via PayPal friends and family.
I will file a fraud claim with PP and hopefully get my money back.
I would like to say that I am super careful on line, but I was taken. The is always a first time for everything, and this is the first time I have ever been scammed.
Pretty good scam if I may say so myself.
THIS IS A SCAM AND YOU NEED TO WATCH OUT.

gwozdz
04-04-2022, 10:47 AM

I purchased some items from Hockett927 some days ago and H & R Arms Co. 1871-1986 by William E. "Bill" Goforth is among the items he showed me that he wanted to part out with. Maybe you should text him to know if it is still available.. Here's his email dougson804@gmail.com

I had been looking for this book for a long time and was excited to see one come up.
After a few email exchanges with dougson804@gmail.com, I sent the money via PayPal friends and family.
I would like to say that I am super careful on line, but I was taken. The is always a first time for everything, and this is the first time I have ever been scammed.

I don't think Paypal is going to help you if payment was PayPal friends and family. I think they only offer protection if payment is done with a payment for goods and services requiring a fee to be levied. I think Paypal feels that if you sent money to a family member or friend, you should not need help to get it back.

FISH4BUGS
04-04-2022, 11:12 AM
I don't think Paypal is going to help you if payment was PayPal friends and family. I think they only offer protection if payment is done with a payment for goods and services requiring a fee to be levied. I think Paypal feels that if you sent money to a family member or friend, you should not need help to get it back.

If that is the case, $60 is the price of tuition to the "School of How To Avoid Scams".
Just glad it wasn't more.
First scam I have ever fallen victim to.
Gotta give them credit though.........they did a good job!
Live and learn............

gwozdz
04-04-2022, 11:27 AM
If a credit card was used, you may try to get a cash back. Do a search to see what others have done. I wouldn't give in too easy without a good try.

FISH4BUGS
04-04-2022, 11:31 AM
If a credit card was used, you may try to get a cash back. Do a search to see what others have done. I wouldn't give in too easy without a good try.

Nope...paid with PP F&F. Apparently PayPal says that if you pay a friend or family, they were "friends or family" and no need to get your money back.
Your friends or family would never scam you right? :)
These guys were smooth.
Be careful out there!

gwozdz
04-04-2022, 11:36 AM
Too bad people have to be that way.

FISH4BUGS
04-04-2022, 11:56 AM
Too bad people have to be that way.

Well, in a way, it was my own excitement and lack of due diligence that did me in.
Yes, he had 0 posts.
Yes, he was banned.
Yes, he used 2 different emails in the transaction.
I SIMPLY DID NOT DO MY HOMEWORK!
Pay attention. A scammer usually messes up once during the transaction (lousy English, lousy spelling, demand for payment in non-recourse transfers, etc. (like Venmo, etc.).
That may be the ONLY warning you get.
Yes, he refunded my original payment because it was for goods and services.
Yes, I fell for the "Friends and Family" option.
He also asked for Venmo and a bunch of other payment methods.
PP was the ONLY one I wanted to use because I THOUGHT I was getting some protection.
WRONG!
But I have to say the book was something I had been looking for for a long time.
I was blinded by my own excitement at getting the book and didn't see (pay attention to ) the warning flags.
I guess that $60 is cheap tuition. :)

George4
04-04-2022, 12:17 PM
Hello, I am a brand new member here......24 hours. I joined to avoid what you folks are experiencing. I am an old retired guy who has been searching all over the internet for a replacement vintage duty holster, border patrol style, for my 6" S&W N frame. You would not believe the number of third party replies, telling me to contact this friend or that friend who has what I am looking for. My BS indicator light so far has saved me from wasting money........but the America of today isn't the one I grew up in. Good advice you are providing, we just no longer can take of face value unknown people......so I guess I just excluded myself. <:-( George4

Soundguy
04-04-2022, 12:36 PM
I have seen the same here.. A 0 post user that pls you that soandso has what you are looking for.

ilcop22
04-04-2022, 04:17 PM
Hello, I am a brand new member here......24 hours. I joined to avoid what you folks are experiencing. I am an old retired guy who has been searching all over the internet for a replacement vintage duty holster, border patrol style, for my 6" S&W N frame. You would not believe the number of third party replies, telling me to contact this friend or that friend who has what I am looking for. My BS indicator light so far has saved me from wasting money........but the America of today isn't the one I grew up in. Good advice you are providing, we just no longer can take of face value unknown people......so I guess I just excluded myself. <:-( George4

This smells like a scammer post.

Woodtroll
04-04-2022, 08:35 PM
Nope...paid with PP F&F. Apparently PayPal says that if you pay a friend or family, they were "friends or family" and no need to get your money back.
Your friends or family would never scam you right? :)
These guys were smooth.
Be careful out there!

If the Paypal funds came out of a credit card account, the credit card company may still be able to help you.

FISH4BUGS
04-05-2022, 06:24 AM
If the Paypal funds came out of a credit card account, the credit card company may still be able to help you.

Bottom line?
I just paid $60 to attend a seminar to learn how to become more aware of scams.
The price of tuition. :)

slim1836
04-05-2022, 01:19 PM

I got a similar PM with the same email contact. I noticed the sender was banned and attempted to reply to the person that sent the PM, however, due to that member being banned I could not reply directly, only to the email address and I did not do that.

My question, how does a banned member get to send a PM in the first place?

Slim

Smoke4320
04-05-2022, 01:56 PM
not to take away from the above posts but also I am seeing many gun sites I have NEVER seen or heard of before pop up with ammo no one else has at very reasonable prices
these are also scams. seen several that were duplicate sites with just the name, the back grounds fonts and such changed. same items same prices
due you due diligence . be careful out there

jeepyj
04-05-2022, 02:45 PM
I'm glad I read this. I have made so many purchases on this site over the last ten years that I'm can't even start to recall them all. That being said, I recently posted WTB and purchased from a member a H/P version of the mould I was looking for but left the ad up in case someone had a non HP version. Amazingly I received a private message to email another fellow about the exact mould I was looking for and I did. What is weird I get a photo of the exact boolit that looked freshly cast in the fellows hand that I have been looking for but the whole thing seems off. when I went back to see the person that messaged me he had already been banned. I declined to react any further.
Thank you for the sticky to help us old fellows keep up with the currant scammers

FISH4BUGS
04-05-2022, 04:04 PM
My question, how does a banned member get to send a PM in the first place?
Slim
Slim:
My guess is they probably send out a bunch of these PM's before they get banned.
My guess is that they could send out a hundred in short order before anyone catches on......they get banned, and the emails are already flying.
Out of a hundred, you might get 5 people that get scammed....maybe more....depending on how much each person gets scammed for, they could rake in some money.
Heck of a way to make a living..........

fatnhappy
04-05-2022, 07:06 PM
not to take away from the above posts but also I am seeing many gun sites I have NEVER seen or heard of before pop up with ammo no one else has at very reasonable prices
these are also scams. seen several that were duplicate sites with just the name, the back grounds fonts and such changed. same items same prices
due you due diligence . be careful out there

That's all over the place, especially farcebook and reddit. A couple key red flags

1. they appear to have everything under the sun in stock
2. their pricing is pre-pandemic
3. their means of payment are zelle and venmo

just my 2˘

farmbif
04-05-2022, 07:22 PM
all I can add is my eyes are wide open now after losing $500 to a scammer ad about 8 or 10 years ago on armslist with fake gun shop ffl connection web site, it was pretty elaborate and I',m guessing I'm not the only one to fall for it. I could not get any law enforcement agency to do anything about it and I called everyone I could get a phone number for including postal inspector since it was postal money order using priority mail with tracking number they just either dont give a hoot or are so overwhelmed with this sort of stuff they can't get to them. live and learn. good thing at the time I had pockets full of cash. I dont do online money transactions and when dealing with someone in swapping and selling it is only with people who actively participate on the site.

georgerkahn
04-07-2022, 07:42 AM
I, a few years back, was in "desperate want" for a particular Beeman spring air pistol, and EVERY shop and site I was aware of had this model long-back-ordered. I received an email from a site member advising a vendor who has them in stock! I should've been smart right off, but again, my desire to obtain the pistol trumped this! The site looked 101% real. I did a business check, and they were incorporated in Texas, albeit only a year earlier.
My one bit of "smarts" was paying with a Visa CREDIT card. After two weeks and no product, I sent an email inquiry. A bright red flag came up as I immediately recognized, from response, that English was definitely not the native tongue of writer! The provided telephone number rang and rang... never picked up.
Two weeks later, I dialed the number on back of my credit card; spoke to a very nice lady; and was told an investigation would be made -- which would take up to 90 days. Oh -- this credit card was immediately canceled, too -- but a few days later I received a new replacement.
About two weeks after my call I received a first class letter from Visa stating that my funds to vendor ($518.00) were returned to me; an investigation was still in progress; and if it turned out I was the scammer -- the $518.00 would be rebilled to me -- with no further action required on my behalf.
Bion, about eight weeks later I received a second first class mail letter from Visa advising their investigation had ended; the vendor turned out to be a known to them bad-guy, and all ended well.
In retrospect -- I still ask the question how ANYONE had any idea I was trying to purchase this model air pistol? I had posted NO wtb's or even mentioned it in discussion. Was it a lucky scam guess? I put the question to bed remembering I had eMailed one inquiry to a known site asking if they had any idea when these would be back in stock. My conclusion, then, either one of their employees or an email breech as the source. I changed my email passwords and a few others, and have never since dealt with that vendor.
My bottom line, however, unless it is a known-known-trusted-entity, I use nothing but a name-brand CREDIT CARD -- never a debit card or PayPal F&F for any purchases.

FISH4BUGS
04-07-2022, 09:46 AM
i, a few years back, was in "desperate want" for a particular beeman spring air pistol, and every shop and site i was aware of had this model long-back-ordered. I received an email from a site member advising a vendor who has them in stock! I should've been smart right off, but again, my desire to obtain the pistol trumped this! The site looked 101% real. I did a business check, and they were incorporated in texas, albeit only a year earlier.
My one bit of "smarts" was paying with a visa credit card. After two weeks and no product, i sent an email inquiry. A bright red flag came up as i immediately recognized, from response, that english was definitely not the native tongue of writer! The provided telephone number rang and rang... Never picked up.
Two weeks later, i dialed the number on back of my credit card; spoke to a very nice lady; and was told an investigation would be made -- which would take up to 90 days. Oh -- this credit card was immediately canceled, too -- but a few days later i received a new replacement.
About two weeks after my call i received a first class letter from visa stating that my funds to vendor ($518.00) were returned to me; an investigation was still in progress; and if it turned out i was the scammer -- the $518.00 would be rebilled to me -- with no further action required on my behalf.
Bion, about eight weeks later i received a second first class mail letter from visa advising their investigation had ended; the vendor turned out to be a known to them bad-guy, and all ended well.
In retrospect -- i still ask the question how anyone had any idea i was trying to purchase this model air pistol? I had posted no wtb's or even mentioned it in discussion. Was it a lucky scam guess? I put the question to bed remembering i had emailed one inquiry to a known site asking if they had any idea when these would be back in stock. My conclusion, then, either one of their employees or an email breech as the source. I changed my email passwords and a few others, and have never since dealt with that vendor.
My bottom line, however, unless it is a known-known-trusted-entity, i use nothing but a name-brand credit card -- never a debit card or paypal f&f for any purchases.

yessir.....the lesson is learned by me.
But thanks for the suggestion on the timers - i bought three of them!

Buzzard II
04-07-2022, 06:37 PM
Thanks to all for the great info!

rjmelehan
04-08-2022, 06:48 AM
Bottom line?
I just paid $60 to attend a seminar to learn how to become more aware of scams.
The price of tuition. :)

Well tell us.... Was the $60.00 worth it or was it a SCAM..?

rjmelehan
04-08-2022, 07:13 AM
I recently bought a rifle from a gent that advertised on another web site.
It was expensive (for me)

Naturally after a detailed exchange about the rifle itself,

This is what I did to vet the seller before I sent the $$$
1, He had been a member of the site for MANY Years with many educated posts
2, I required his home address and business name and address
3, I did a Zillow search on the home address and public property search / address with ownership information
4, Tax Lien search
5, Business search, age address BBB etc.
6, Cashiers checks require government ID to cash or deposit.
7, NO PO Box

FISH4BUGS
04-08-2022, 07:26 AM
Well tell us.... Was the $60.00 worth it or was it a SCAM..?

Actually BOTH.
It WAS a scam.
It taught me a BIG lesson.
I will be VERY cautious in the future.
I am grateful it wasn't for more money than just $60.

Murdock
04-10-2022, 08:31 AM
As much as i hate admit.I just got took for 173 dollars from a outfit calling itself PRIMER12.Out of Florida.Learned a big lesson.

rjmelehan
04-10-2022, 08:49 AM
Murdoc,

Where in Florida...?
I live in Saint Augustine.. If they're close enough maybe I can place a bag of flaming dog doo on their front porch for you

Murdock
04-10-2022, 08:54 AM
Lake Wales Fl. I googled it.It was at a house.GOT PLAYED.But i appreciate the offer.

Murdock
04-10-2022, 08:58 AM
How do i warn other members about it.

rjmelehan
04-10-2022, 10:11 AM
How do i warn other members about it.

What type of product was the scammer using as his hook?

Create a generic WARNING posting you can place on this and on other web sites "For Sale or Trade" sections
with any names, references, addresses etc.

Post the warning on Facebook Market place (Orlando and surrounding areas.) ebay etc.
File a complaint with the Lake Wales police for fraud alert.

I'm sure there are many more ways to alert and or search if someone is a scammer.

I've fortunately been able (so far) to be able to ferret out the on line scammers so far.
Now I have been conned by some contractors in the past. Usually it's the one's who wear their religion on their sleeve.

Murdock
04-10-2022, 07:45 PM
Powder and primers was the hook. And they caught a sucker. But i learned a lesson.Filed a complaint with BETTER BUSINESS in Florida last week.Thanks for the info.

Milsurp Junkie
04-14-2022, 07:05 PM
I have this book, and I got what I need from it (better schematics and dates for revolvers that I had)...PM me and I will send it your way.

georgerkahn
05-14-2022, 08:03 AM
A new one to watch out for!!! I got an email from my bank indicating they found an error THEY had made, and I needed but log into my account to apply this. Eleven dollars and seventy-five cents -- surely not an amount to raise any eyebrows, eh? Their site appeared 99.9999% bone-fide. BUT -- I do not know which English teacher I had many years back to thank, but "compromised" was misspelled, "comprimised". This raised kind of a red flag, so I checked source of communication, and all was/is exactly the same as vis my bank -- EXCEPT IT WAS FOLLOWED BY ANOTHER DOT AND THE LETTERS "RU" (.ru).
I have no idea what may have happened had I done anything other than deleting all without clicking anything; running my virus-program; and finally shutting computer totally down...
Anyhoos -- again the bank imagery was soooo close to identical -- I reckoned I'd post this so you may take a closer look should you receive "mistake" messages from your banking institution.
geo

ReloaderFred
05-14-2022, 10:40 AM
A new one to watch out for!!! I got an email from my bank indicating they found an error THEY had made, and I needed but log into my account to apply this. Eleven dollars and seventy-five cents -- surely not an amount to raise any eyebrows, eh? Their site appeared 99.9999% bone-fide. BUT -- I do not know which English teacher I had many years back to thank, but "compromised" was misspelled, "comprimised". This raised kind of a red flag, so I checked source of communication, and all was/is exactly the same as vis my bank -- EXCEPT IT WAS FOLLOWED BY ANOTHER DOT AND THE LETTERS "RU" (.ru).
I have no idea what may have happened had I done anything other than deleting all without clicking anything; running my virus-program; and finally shutting computer totally down...
Anyhoos -- again the bank imagery was soooo close to identical -- I reckoned I'd post this so you may take a closer look should you receive "mistake" messages from your banking institution.
geo

The "ru" indicates the mail came from Russia, George. If you had answered it, they would have asked for all kinds of "verification", and if you'd given it, the rest would be history. It only takes them a couple of minutes to completely clean out your bank account.

Good call in deleting it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

stanford
05-22-2022, 08:46 PM
Any website that you go to and they have payments like Zelle, Venmo, Bitcoin etc. and no credit cards then its a scam, all legitimate websites will have credit card processing. As good as the deal sounds its mostly scam sites popping up now. Primers are a big scam these days, if you see any site that has primers and the prices are a little over the regular price before all this gouging started then you know its a scam.

Just remember the payment options and you will not be taken advantage of. These scammers take a lot of time making up these sites to scam people and they are getting away with it, so be warned.

georgerkahn
05-24-2022, 09:24 AM
Any website that you go to and they have payments like Zelle, Venmo, Bitcoin etc. and no credit cards then its a scam, all legitimate websites will have credit card processing. As good as the deal sounds its mostly scam sites popping up now. Primers are a big scam these days, if you see any site that has primers and the prices are a little over the regular price before all this gouging started then you know its a scam.

Just remember the payment options and you will not be taken advantage of. These scammers take a lot of time making up these sites to scam people and they are getting away with it, so be warned.

To "add" to stanford's post, when paying for anything/everything on line, NEVER EVER use a Debit card!!! Using a credit card -- I've been there ;) -- frauds and scams are generally covered (including a purchase I made -- so statement indicated -- in Texas -- in amount $783.62 USD -- which Credit card took care of in full). However, if one uses a debit card -- they're out of luck in attempts to recoup funds about 99.99% of the time!
geo

Smoke4320
05-24-2022, 09:49 AM
I fell for my first scam site a month ago. paid with paypal. Scammer tryed to send something other than what I ordered but sent it to incorrect address. Numerous attempts to contact them went unanswered. Contacted Paypal cced all the emails I sent plus the incorrect delivery attempt . took 2 weeks but got my money back

guzma393
06-09-2022, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Got a unsolicited PM from a user named kdxoxc mentioning Rebek having what I want. I replied without giving it any thought and only started to seem suspicious after I responded. Looked up kdxoxc and only has 3 posts and is banned. Scam likely? Rebek doesn't even blip on the username search radar.

SOFMatchstaff
06-09-2022, 03:45 PM
I got the same hit as guzma393 from kdxoxc notified a MOD and they took him out of play...Good job...

briantn
06-11-2022, 06:54 AM
Kdxoxc said Rebek also had what I wanted. Glad I searched him name and found this. It definitely helps when scammers are identified and user name posted.

MrWolf
06-11-2022, 08:45 AM
To "add" to stanford's post, when paying for anything/everything on line, NEVER EVER use a Debit card!!! Using a credit card -- I've been there ;) -- frauds and scams are generally covered (including a purchase I made -- so statement indicated -- in Texas -- in amount $783.62 USD -- which Credit card took care of in full). However, if one uses a debit card -- they're out of luck in attempts to recoup funds about 99.99% of the time!
geo

I had advised my clients before retired (C.P.A.) to never use a debit card unless it is on basically a throw away account or funded for a specific purchase. You basically have zero recourse with a debit card as the money belongs to you, not the bank or credit card company. You can loose everything in it in a blink of an eye. I am not providing any financial advice as I am retired, just stating what was done in the past (cya in action).

fatnhappy
06-13-2022, 01:47 PM
caveat emptor fellas

I saw this meme on reddit, it about sums up the general state of reloading right now. if it sounds to good to be true, it is. If you get an unsolited message, it's a scam. trust no one.

georgerkahn
06-14-2022, 08:35 AM
I had advised my clients before retired (C.P.A.) to never use a debit card unless it is on basically a throw away account or funded for a specific purchase. You basically have zero recourse with a debit card as the money belongs to you, not the bank or credit card company. You can loose everything in it in a blink of an eye. I am not providing any financial advice as I am retired, just stating what was done in the past (cya in action).

I have one Debit Card which I "have" to use :(. To wit, the card was issued by my Credit Union, and said institution has a silly rule/benefit where one garners a few tenths of a per cent more interest on savings provided their debit card is used regularly -- twice/month as minimum suggested. I get my hairs cut monthly, with Credit Union building in same shopping centre, so I regularly "buy some cash" following each haircut. I have not been redownded for the but-once monthly use -- but that is MY one and only employment of my Debit card!
In addition to RISKS using a debit card -- hey -- I get cash-back on my credit cards. NOT paying any interest -- I pay each off in full monthly -- it's like I'm getting paid to use the credit card.
Just an added thought or two...
geo

wcp4570
06-16-2022, 11:42 PM
I lost $50.00 to the scum bags myself. I've never had a problem dealing with the good people on this site until recently by these low life individuals.

I would like to make a suggestion to the management, why not block PM access until new users have posted a set number of times just like the restriction on posting in swapping and sellin. Maybe that would help with this type of scamming.

wcp

No_1
06-22-2022, 05:52 AM
This scam is becoming popular on all the forums. Y’all need to use the same common sense you use when reloading. If someone contacts you privately indicating they have something for sale “do your research”.

1) Does the deal seem too good to be true?
2) Is the seller a relatively new member?
3) Does the seller have a low post count?
4) Does the seller direct you to contact someone else to complete the deal?
5) Does the seller require you to use a payment method which offers no recourse if the deal fails?

We, the moderators and myself cannot stop the scammers from contacting you privately and we cannot stop YOU from falling for the scam.

If you want me to help you then you need to help me help you. If someone you don’t know offers to sell you something outside of S&S please report it AND don’t attempt to buy the item.

Rob