PDA

View Full Version : Gas check with PC bullet

nhyrum
04-02-2022, 05:18 PM
I cast a number of bullets, but only have two moulds that are checked, both for the same gun, a 454 casull. I used to powder coat, check, and lube with a rifle lube, but have since ditched the lube, as I've found the PC to be sufficient. The other night, I finally finished my box of Hornady checks(which means I've got probably 800 rounds of 454 casull through the gun in about 3 years) looking at the price difference between what I bought the Hornady checks for and what they go for now, nearly twice the price, it got me wondering exactly how tough is this PC layer. Can it hold up to the 60,000 psi of the 454 casull?

Now, I have found checks for about 30 bucks per thousand, but at least theoretically, the question still stands. Has anyone run one of these rifle pressure Magnum cartridges powder coated and un checked? I know I'd have better chances with a flat base bullet vs one designed for a check.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

ryanmattes
04-02-2022, 07:17 PM
The problem isn't whether the PC can hold up to the heat, it's going to be the gap around the base where the check should be.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

BC17A
04-02-2022, 08:36 PM
My 500 Mag made a mess out of PC'd unchecked boolits. They were the Lee 440gn designed for a check. I highly doubt a flat base would have made any difference.