PDA

View Full Version : Sig P220 maintenance

megasupermagnum
03-31-2022, 08:14 PM
This is just a heads up for anyone looking to do the usual maintenance on Sig P-series handguns. You are free to do as you please, but the following is what Sig recommends for parts replacement.

Decocking lever spring: 10,000
Extractor: 20,000
Extractor spring: 20,000
Firing pin: 20,000
Firing pin spring: 20,000
Magazine spring: When magazine fails to lock the slide open. *
Recoil spring: 5,000
Safety lock spring: 20,000
Slide catch lever spring: 10,000
Takedown lever: 20,000
Trigger bar spring: 10,000

I figured I was around 5,000 rounds on my P220, so I decided to replace the recoil spring. Super easy of course, done in 15 seconds tops. The problem is a new recoil spring also comes with a new firing pin return spring. When I saw this, I figured why not replace that too? It's easy enough to get out the firing pin, there are videos. The issue is getting them back in. It turned into a multi-week nightmare of phone calls and internet commandos. Do NOT go to sigtalk.com and expect an answer. Those guys are fools.

Here is what you need to know. First, the firing pin has what is called a firing pin positioning pin. This is probably not reusable since they crush when they are installed. Mine wasn't reusable. The second thing you need to know is that there are three main types of these pins, none of them are common or easy to get, and nobody has much idea on what you are supposed to use. Sig customer service doesn't know anything. They relay a message to the technicians, and I never got a good answer from them. You will find a bunch of bologna answers on the internet, talking about various things. None of it really matters. You can give your serial number to Sig themselves, and they have no clue. What year your gun was made doesn't really matter. About the only thing that matters is if your hole is straight, or multi-diameter. If it is multi-diameter, the left hole will be bigger than the right hole.

The three main types of pins are a double roll pin, a spiral spring pin, and a splined solid pin. I'll post that picture below. The double roll pin can only be used if you have a straight through hole. The splined solid pin can only be used on a multi-diameter hole. The larger left hole is to accommodate the splines. Here is the real kicker. The spiral spring pin appears to work in everything. Why not just use the spiral spring pin, and forget the rest? I don't know. Because Sig.

Click on the picture.
https://i.ibb.co/4gWRrQB/download.webp (https://ibb.co/4gWRrQB)

Besides those three main types, there are a bunch of part numbers, as they can vary in length, and possibly diameter. The P220 specifically seems to have only 3. I can not find a part number for the double roll pins. The number for the splined solid pin is PIN-6. The number for the spiral spring pin is PIN-12. These are metric pins, so I'm unsure on if the spiral spring pins would be available at a hardware store. It would be tough to get the exact roll pins needed for the double pin setup. I'd just avoid PIN-6, there's no reason to use that, and plenty of reason SIG stopped using them. Hopefully this helped someone out. Why this was such a hard question to get an answer for, I'll never know.

P.S. My P220 was made in 2008, has a multi-diameter pin hole, and it came with the spiral spring pin from the factory.

cwtebay
03-31-2022, 10:18 PM
Good to know. I've had nothing but positive experiences with Sig tech services. But I don't own your model.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

MrWolf
04-02-2022, 09:06 AM
Thanks. Printing this for future reference for my 220.

upr45
04-02-2022, 09:40 AM
Thanks!

rintinglen
04-03-2022, 10:53 AM
Thank you! Mine is coming due for a new recoil spring and I will doubtless get around to it one of these days.

Divil
04-13-2022, 12:51 AM
Thanks for posting this data. I am seriously eyeing a P220.