PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 38/357mag mold

tayous1
03-30-2022, 07:57 PM
Looking for advice for a 38/357 mold . I currently have a MP aluminum mold that casts a 180 gr solid Boolite the Boolite is great love it just wish they had it at the time in brass and with HP pins. That's on my later list.

Today I'm looking for a light weight target load I'd also like for it to be able to use HP pins also. I have had good experiences with HP lead powder coated bullets and how well they have expanded in water jugs.

This will be used with a Ruger Security 6 and a lever action rifle. Plinking and used on coyote size game and smaller around the ranch. Thanks for the advice!

mnewcomb59
04-01-2022, 03:21 PM
My light weight HP bullet is the NOE 129-TC in plain base. This bullet has no crimp groove which lets me load it long in a 38 case so that the rifle will feed it well. I roll crimp in a second step and crimp just enough to bury the chamfered case mouth into the lead.

My newest 357 Rossi doesn't like short 38s. I load it to 1.48" with 5 gr Titegroup which should be max standard pressure or barely into +p.

My security six is sighted in for 158 gr lead at 1400 fps and this 124 NOE HP with 5 gr Titegroup at 1.48" hits within 1" at 25 yards. Close enough to swap back and forth without re-zeroing. My Rossi will put 10 into less than 1.5" at 50 yards, so better than Mini Mags in a 10/22. The load is probably 1300 fps in the 20" and 1050 fps in the 6". I sight in for this load after deer season and guard the garden. Groundhogs hate it.

The dinky little bullet is probably enough for ambush deer hunting where you can pick your shot on a calm deer, but I usually drive with a group and opt for a WFN that has 3x the penetration.

mnewcomb59
04-01-2022, 03:59 PM
One downside to this mold is that the TC HP pinches closed if you are seating it into a tight case using your factory seating die that is probably meant for a RN. This is more of a 9mm problem than a 38 special problem. Lee makes custom seating plugs for like $7 so I sent them a bullet and they mailed me the seating plug within a few weeks.

Cosmic_Charlie
04-01-2022, 06:08 PM
I have this conventional lube style from accurate, been a good mold and very accurate with the right powder.
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=35-160S