PDA

View Full Version : RCBS sizer

johniv
01-22-2009, 10:55 AM
I just came by an RCBS boolit sizer, it is new (in the box, no lube in it, never used) from 1985. I have used RCBS dies in my Lyman 450 and they seem the same as the Lyman dies. My problem is no die will seat in the RCBS, they seem about 1/16 " too long and the nut will not seat down to the sizer housing..It has been about 30 years since I set up the 450 , and thats all I have used. Am I mistaken about the RCBS and Lyman dies being interchangable, or am I missing something embarrasingly obvious??
John

hicard
01-22-2009, 11:04 AM
I've just screwed them down tight and have had no problems. I suppose one could use an
o-ring of the proper size if leakage is a concern.

Calamity Jake
01-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Adjust the push rod down, it is up to high and will not let the H&I die enter far enough when the handle is all the way up, or you can lower the handle and then seat the die.
All H&I dies are the same length give or take a few thou.

You also might check inside the die cavity for an obstruction keeping the die from seating.

cajun shooter
01-23-2009, 09:59 AM
The dies will work. You have as CJ said something out of adjustment. Go to the RCBS site and get the instructions for your press. You will need them as the RCBS has linkage that needs to be set to work. The only part that has a problem is when you put a TP in. Sometimes these have to be modified to work in both.

johniv
01-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Gentlemen, thanks for the input. I'll try again.
John

johniv
01-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Ok , just got off the phone with RCBS and they tell me the nut should NOT seat all the way down.. as long as the bottom of the die seats on the taper at the bottom of the housing it will work.
John