PDA

View Full Version : lead cast bullet

brucecomfort
03-30-2022, 10:04 AM
Ive been reloading for some time however I never reloaded lead bullets. My question is for sass cowboy action comp. Im unclear about the type of lead bullets permitted can I use 92% lead/6% antimony/ 2% tin or any hard cast bullet or something softer that would be the best for non fouling also what lead bullet would you recommend.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-30-2022, 10:12 AM
brucecomfort,
Welcome to the forum.
I don't think there is a specification for what alloy is permitted?
I would use a softer alloy, like 97-1.5-1.5
I would recommend a 41 caliber 220gr SWC

brucecomfort
03-30-2022, 10:19 AM
thank you that helps Im will be reloading 38 spl. and 44 spl. any brands you could recommend

ABJ
03-30-2022, 10:23 AM
I agree with JonB, My understanding is any lead alloy is fine. Having said that, from a safety point of view you want to use as soft an alloy that dosen't lead the barrel and shoots to point of aim. Most matches I have been too the common alloy is 92/2/6 because that is what most of the online bullet makers cast with. There is already some splash back on those close targets so the softer the alloy the less splash back.
Even my 94/2/4 alloy dings me every now and then.
Tony

Froogal
03-30-2022, 10:32 AM
I use 20 to 1 lead. It is about a 10 on the BHN scale. The bullets just kind of flatten out into a round disc shape and fall to the ground when striking a steel target. Very little chance of a ricochet. .38 special and .45 Colt.

brucecomfort
03-30-2022, 11:15 AM
thanks Ive been looking around and most bullet manufacturer dont list there alloy contents

03-30-2022, 11:35 AM
Most commercial cast lead bullets are going to be on the hard side to resist damage in shipping. Are you open to casting? It is rewarding in and of itself and it allows you to tailor the boolit to your needs. In this case something soft like the suggested 20:1 alloy might work very well for your application.

gwpercle
03-30-2022, 11:46 AM
In the cowboy game , soft alloy ( 1 part tin / 20 parts lead ) will be better than hard .
The lighter powder charges work better with soft .
If you are buying boolits already cast ... look for the ones marketed as " Cowboy" or "soft" .
Rim Rock Bullets www.rimrockbullets.com markets a line of "Cowboy", "Standard" , and "Gas-Check" for different needs . The Cowboy boolits are for CASS competition . A bhn in the 8 - 9 - 10 , area will be just fine ( wheel weights are about bhn 9 and 1/20 is about bhn 10 ...these numbers can vary
Check out Rim Rocks on-line catalog .
Gary

megasupermagnum
03-30-2022, 02:31 PM
thank you that helps Im will be reloading 38 spl. and 44 spl. any brands you could recommend

Since you mention cowboy action shooting, I'm assuming you are loading blackpowder. The alloy is not really that important. Softer alloy is likely a little better, but I don't think ultimate accuracy is a huge issue with SASS. The bigger issue is the lube most bullet makers use is very tough, meant to handle being shipped. It isn't very good with smokeless powder, and it doesn't do much of anything for blackpowder. Mostly what you end up with is a very crusty powder fouling, and a barrel that looses accuracy the more you shoot. The best thing is a true blackpowder lube, but it won't handle being shipped, so I doubt you will find anyone using it.

I have heard more than once that the Badman bullets work good enough with blackpowder.

https://www.badmanbullets.com/OnlineStore/categories.php?cat=38+and+357+Caliber

Walks
03-30-2022, 02:49 PM
No gas check bullets are allowed in the standard matches. I believe they are allowed in Long Range Rifle Cartridge sidematches.

Softer bullets at lower velocities are easier on firearms AND steel targets.
If you look at the front of correctly made targets who will see a groove "worn" in thedirt from where the bullets "bounce" down after striking the target.
No jacketed of any type, nor copper-clad or copper washed bullets are allowed.

Sam Sackett
03-30-2022, 08:10 PM
I shoot cowboy action quite a bit. I cast my own bullets and use pure lead or stick on wheel weights. I save the clip on wheel weights for higher power loads. Cowboy action has an upper velocity limit of 1000 for handguns, 1400 for rifles. Lower limit is way down around 400 fps.
Most of us load below “book” minimums, probably in the 500 to 600 fps range. 3 grains of a fast powder behind a 125 grain bullet is common for 38 special. Check online for bullet vendors, searching for “cowboy bullets”. There are many good vendors, such as Bullets by Scarlett, Missouri Bullets, etc. Also, check out the SASS website. Quite a few links there. www.sassnet.com

Happy reloading,
Sam Sackett

dverna
03-30-2022, 08:58 PM
I used commercial bullets in .38’s and the alloy was 92-2-6. Don’t over think it. Any crap seems to work at CAS ranges. Try bullets sized .358. If you get leading, try .359. I shot over 50k .358 commercial bullets with no issues.

Have fun...it is a blast!!

Walter Laich
03-31-2022, 05:51 PM
SASS member since 2003
at cowboy distances for rifle/pistol all you want to do it hit the target, no 'kill' it

125 gr bullets are popular with the 38 Sp crowd saves $$ on lead costs

I PC (powder coat) my cast ones so not really worried about lead hardness.

At the SASS power factors you aren't pushing your bullets very hard so leading is minimual if at all.

get with some cowfolk at your club and pick their brains. We love to help out in all ways possible.

you don't list you location so we can't off suggestions where to enjoy cowboy shooting