PDA

View Full Version : Took the Nephew In Law shooting

Winger Ed.
03-30-2022, 01:28 AM
Our niece got married married a few years ago. Nice guy, and a city kid.
He'd had an interest in firearms, but had never handled or fired one.
His Mom's first husband had been shot and killed, so there wasn't much gun stuff going on at home when he was a kid.

Visiting us a few times a year, his interest grew and last Summer, he got one of those fancy Space Age ARs,
a Stainless 1911 clone, a few boxes of ammo,,, and now--- he's ready to go shooting.

We tried over Christmas, but the weather was just awful. Instead, I talked him through cleaning,
stripping them both down, & putting them back together about 15 times so he'd be comfortable doing it on his own.

This weekend, they came in, and the weather was perfect.
I took him to the range, got him sighted in, then we burned through at least 450 rounds of .223, .45ACP, .38Spec.,
7.62NATO in the M1A, and as many .45-70s as the kid could stand.

On the way home, he wanted to know all about reloading, and how to get better at shooting.

We stopped in front of the neighbor's house for a minute, then went on home.
Later, the neighbor asked me if we'd gone to the range.
I told him we had. He already knew that Nephew had never fired a gun before.

He said, "I thought so. That kid had a grin you couldn't get off with a hammer & chisel".

Land Owner
03-30-2022, 05:46 AM
Good story. Nice to hear another "shooter" has been born and he's interested in reloading too!

Through decades of reloading, when it came time to shoot, I invited new-to-shooting friends, my kid's friends, and family friends. I was a Pop Warner sideline Assistant Football "Coach" for years and invited Dads and their sons to shoot and to hunt, some for their first time. I own the private range and the property, which is also hunted (pigs, deer, & turkey).

Through all of the years, introducing many dozens to target shooting, and a dozen or more to hunting, six (6) individuals, of whom I am certain (son, neighbor, small business owner, engineer associate, BIL and his son), there may be others, have taken up shooting and reloading as their primary hobbies. My Mentor helped me. I am mentoring six (6) more and my time in the "mentor business" is not over.

WRideout
03-30-2022, 09:39 AM
With all the senseless violence on TV and the internet, it is refreshing to hear that someone is using firearms to teach perseverance, safety, and even respect. That young man is worthy of your attention.

Wayne

XDROB
03-30-2022, 10:39 AM
Very nice story.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

No_1
03-30-2022, 10:41 AM
Great story. Sounds like he is hooked for life.

Markopolo
03-30-2022, 11:33 AM
It’s awesome that you took him… nice job Mr. Winger!

brstevns
03-30-2022, 11:52 AM
Teach him all the right ways when he is young. He will never forget you for the memories you gave him.

BJK
03-30-2022, 02:00 PM
That was a nice story! Thanks!

Thumbcocker
03-31-2022, 10:26 AM
Good on you. How much better would it be for our hobby and values if more of us took a non-shooter to the range for some plinking?

GregLaROCHE
04-02-2022, 01:23 AM
You’re done a very positive thing for humanity.