PDA

View Full Version : Understanding the New USPS Fees And Surcharges In 2022

Smoke4320
03-29-2022, 06:55 PM
While the 2022 USPS rate changes went into effect on January 9 of this year, the additional fees approved by the Postal Regulatory Commission were delayed until Sunday, April 3, 2022. These fees include a Dimensional Noncompliance fee as well as a USPS Non Standard Fee.

While these fees come in just days after April Fools Day, the surcharges are no laughing matter and could significantly impact your shipping costs. These fees are added to the cost of postage and can be combined if you go outside the parameters of multiple rules.

We’ll explain how these new fees affect those who ship with USPS through Shippo and in general, but if you’d like to read more on what exactly the PRC approved in terms of new USPS costs, visit here.

USPS Dimensional Noncompliance Fee
Of the new USPS shipping fees, the Dimensional Noncompliance fee is a bit easier to understand.

A fee of $1.50 will be applied to any packages when manifested dimensions are either incorrect or are not provided and the captured dimensions (length, width, height) have a length greater than 22 inches or volume greater than one cubic foot.

The length is the longest side of the box and should be provided out to two decimal places. Be accurate since the rounding does not apply to Nonstandard Fee for package length.

Then rounding rules apply when calculating package volume. The package dimensions (length, width, and height) should be rounded off to the next whole number, then multiplied to calculate the package cubic volume. If the calculated package cubic volume exceeds 3,456 inches, the Nonstandard Fee for exceeding 2 cubic feet volume applies

To avoid this fee you’ll want to live by the philosophy of “measure twice, ship once”. Just be sure you’re measuring the exterior of the box your product is going to be shipped in since that is what USPS will be measuring.
USPS Non Standard Fee
The USPS Non Standard Fee has a few more layers to unpack. Essentially, packages that exceed a certain dimensional threshold will incur an additional fee in addition to the postage.

Parcels that are longer than 22 inches but less than 30 inches will see a $4.00 surcharge.
Parcels that exceed 30 inches in length will incur a $15.00 surcharge.
Parcels that measure greater than 2 cubic (3456 cubic inches) feet will also see a $15.00 fee added.
These fees are set to be placed on shipments using USPS Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express, and Parcel Select. Shipments using Priority Mail Express or Priority Mail Flat Rate packaging, Priority Cubic Tiered product, or Priority Mail Regional Rate packages won’t have to worry about these surcharges. For those Flat Rate USPS provided packages, you simply have to remember “If it fits, it ships for a low flat rate.” Just don’t overstuff the boxes to the point you put your product in danger. For the Cubic Rate, you will need to provide accurate rates rounded to ¼”

What’s also important to understand is that your package could incur multiple non standard fees at the same time.

Say for example you’re sending out a Priority Mail shipment that measures at 25” long, 12” high, and 12” wide. You’d see a $4.00 surcharge for your package being longer than 22” plus you’d see another $15.00 for your package measuring greater than 2 cubic feet. You’d then be paying $19.00 on top of the cost of postage.

In a separate example, let’s say your package was 35” long, 10” high, and 10” wide. You’d pay $15 for your package being longer than 30 inches, plus another $15 for being greater than 2 cubic feet. Let’s also say you didn’t measure it correctly or didn’t measure it at all. That could result in a $31.50 fee to go along with the cost of postage.

nicholst55
03-29-2022, 07:23 PM
It almost sounds as if the end plan is to 'kill' all package shipment except for Flat Rate boxes.

elmacgyver0
03-29-2022, 07:32 PM
Well, as the old saying goes: "Ass, Gas or Grass. Nobody rides for free."

ascast
03-29-2022, 07:34 PM
ya that's it but they aRE FREE AND COME WITH TRACKING AND INSURANCE opps not yelling but I am not retyping that

Handloader109
03-29-2022, 08:07 PM
The simple solution is to ship all packages UPS or FedEx. Flat rate just doesn't work for a lot of stuff....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

William Yanda
03-30-2022, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the info. Sounds like UPS may be a better option for packages outside the parameters.

Sasquatch-1
03-30-2022, 07:53 AM
Eventually, Amazon will get into the general package shipping business and put everybody else out of business. Probably could undercut UPS and FedEx easily.

Smoke4320
03-30-2022, 02:33 PM
It almost sounds as if the end plan is to 'kill' all package shipment except for Flat Rate boxes.

exactly... But I will bet you the Amazons, Walmarts and such will not be charged these "fees"

Shawlerbrook
03-30-2022, 02:55 PM
Could we add this when they calculate the inflation rate ?

Smoke4320
03-30-2022, 03:06 PM
Its just a transatory fee :) :) when you can't afford to live anymore they can just hook you up to the batteries to run the machine :)

Sasquatch-1
03-31-2022, 07:32 AM
Its just a transatory fee :) :) when you can't afford to live anymore they can just hook you up to the batteries to run the machine :)

So that's how California plans to run all the electric vehicles!:veryconfu

farmbif
03-31-2022, 08:10 AM
what I understand about USPS is prices shot way up and service gone way down

Smoke4320
04-05-2022, 10:37 AM
Well just ran my first package under the USPS Rates that came into effect Sunday
a 10/22...... 42 x 7 x 6 Box
UPS $18.55
USPS $38.93

Looks like it will be Flat Rate boxes/envelope via USPS and everything else UPS

imashooter2
04-05-2022, 04:20 PM
Accuracy to the hundredth of an inch for length measurement? They better be able to show me calibration certifications for their measuring devices.

abunaitoo
04-06-2022, 02:34 AM
Great.
Now I have to shop for cheap shipping.
Sure hope amazon get up and running soon.

pworley1
04-06-2022, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

Smoke4320
04-06-2022, 08:14 AM
This is going to catch a lot of folks off guard.
Very expensive mistakes can and will be made

Rapier
04-06-2022, 09:28 AM
I do not ship much out anymore, but do receive items and pay for shipping. If you live in the woods, shipping is always a consideration. I usually keep a list then buy to a free shipping level. Hope folks still have the free shipping levels of purchase, by amounts.