PDA

View Full Version : LGS has 2 original sharps

69daytona
03-29-2022, 04:49 PM
Was at LGS today and they showed me 2 original Sharps and have documentation for them both, one in 45-70 the other in 45-110 plus a super nice Axel in 45-70.
Said they have been in a collection from a guy who just died at 100 years old.
They have about 50 of his guns at the shop, all BP older rifles like Sharps and Ballard and a few others.
Looking at the Sharps in 45-70. Anything I should look for as far as making sure its original?
will get some pics ext time I'm in there.

grayscale
03-29-2022, 05:20 PM
Daytona, What shop?
grayscale in Citrus Heights

69daytona
03-29-2022, 06:00 PM
Orangevale gun shop on main just off greenback, ask for Phil.
They have some great BP rifles.

gc45
03-29-2022, 06:14 PM
having owned a few myself, the sharps rifles are very collectable to us who like history. They remain very shootable when passing the gunsmith checks and, you will find some have replacement parts, especially the firing pins that were prone to breaking. Not a big deal, just how they are. Of course stock, barrels and sites are something to look at if wanting 100% origional as these parts can and are replacement items..The sharps reciever is pretty streight forward and I would not hesitate to buy one even with a few newer parts..They are rare from the standpoint we sedom see one for sale and sharps co was not in business all that long..The good news is, Montana Sharps co in montana has parts and can fix them if needed.. the 45-70 is the one to have IMO as its just easier to deal with..

farmbif
03-31-2022, 09:13 AM
sharps is still in business, might be possible to shoot them message with serial #s and detailed pictures too get their opinion on rare collectable high $$ stuff

John in PA
03-31-2022, 02:04 PM
sharps is still in business, might be possible to shoot them message with serial #s and detailed pictures too get their opinion on rare collectable high $$ stuff

Sharps Rifle Co., Bridgeport, CT, went bankrupt in 1881. Companies making Sharps *reproductions* (Shiloh, C. Sharps Arms, Pedersoli, etc.,) do not have the records of the original company and can only guess at current values. Better to peruse completed sales at some of the high-line auction houses like Rock Island, Amoskeag, Poulin, etc. for (very) rough idea of values. Even Axtell is out of business now for several years.

grayscale
04-01-2022, 04:43 PM
Thanks Daytona, still missing Wildsports. shame nobody wanted to keep it going.
grayscale