PDA

View Full Version : Almost nothing beats

Tazman1602
03-29-2022, 04:23 PM
…..an afternoon with an 8 year old grandson and a pellet gun busting balloons and hitting targets. To see their face light up when they hit the target, and having them repeat gun safety rules without them even knowing they are in school, well, it just kicks butt and makes life worthwhile!

Made this thread because I’m sure I’m not the only one here who enjoys this!

Art

hporter
03-29-2022, 04:26 PM
We had our 5 year old granddaughter over the weekend.

Yep - I know what you are talking about.

G W Wade
03-29-2022, 04:38 PM
Last summer I had my 9 yr old grandson out shooting a Rem 580 single shot that I cut down for his father 30 yrs ago. Had the son with on another trip too. The 3 of us had a great time GW

pworley1
03-29-2022, 05:19 PM
Little girls love to shoot too. Great fun.

Tazman1602
03-29-2022, 06:07 PM
Little girls love to shoot too. Great fun.

100% but he’s the only grandchild we’ll ever have and it makes me happy to do this with him, I would treat a grand daughter no different!

Art

hporter
03-29-2022, 07:15 PM
he’s the only grandchild we’ll ever have

I keep hoping for more grandchildren, but I may be in the same boat as you are. They truly are the greatest blessing a man could hope for. I started planning her first gun well before she arrived on the scene. I can't wait to start shooting with her, as you have done with your grandson. What wonderful memories that will make.

Tazman1602
03-29-2022, 07:48 PM
I keep hoping for more grandchildren, but I may be in the same boat as you are. They truly are the greatest blessing a man could hope for. I started planning her first gun well before she arrived on the scene. I can't wait to start shooting with her, as you have done with your grandson. What wonderful memories that will make.

Amen pal, our situation is unique but he’s a blessing — we’ve been having issues (ok, ME, I, MYSELF) with “common core” math. As a retired computer engineer it makes zero sense to me, logically. Wife is the one with accounting degree and it frustrates her sometimes as well as him……but you know what he does like? Ballistics and the practical (read = applied to something…) application of the same via chronograph readings. Sure way to make sure he doesn’t hate all math….

I hated math…..right up until someone showed me horsepower and gear ratio math at an early age, then it clicked. Hoping to get him in on the right foot…

Art

vhntr1
03-29-2022, 10:21 PM
My 3 year old grand daughter was looking at my henry catalog today ,told my wife she wants one little do they know i have a golden boy in the safe for her.

John Guedry
03-30-2022, 08:59 AM
I have seen this elsewhere (maybe here) Grandchildren are your reward for not drowning your children when they were teenagers.

WRideout
03-30-2022, 09:36 AM
My thirteen year-old granddaughter shoots my Buckmark .22 pistol very well. The family that shoots together stays together.

Wayne

country gent
03-30-2022, 10:56 AM
There is nothing like the fascination of a child. The excitement of seeing or doing something new. Take a young one fishing , for a walk in the woods, shooting, Have them help you with a project, or even better help them with a project ( make a yo-yo or a top) and watch the smiles and their eyes shine. On the outdoor excursions you will be amazed by what they notice that you take for granted or overlook.

In the spring take them tadpole hunting help them get wet and muddy and a pocket full of tadpoles for Mom to find. Frogs, butterflys, lightning bugs,worms.

Every fall the grandsons and I work in the shop for a few days. Were making Moms Christmas presents from them. Ring necklace stands napkin holders picture frames.Watching them guiding them thru the projects seeing the pride and all in their eyes as they learn and make a item is great.

If you have room let and time help them with a small garden watch them as it grows and comes to harvest.

No_1
03-30-2022, 10:59 AM
BB guns & balloons stapled to a piece of plywood is always a recipe for fun.

missionary5155
03-30-2022, 11:18 AM
Yep anything with action involved and instant results...
Make a slingshot with them and take them to the balloons or large cans.

country gent
03-31-2022, 06:59 PM
Sling shots can be a lot of fun. We made them I cut them out and the boys worked then down filing and hand sanding. Daughter didnt like the idea of rocks or lead balls so we used cheap hard candy. Worked good and melted away in the rain. Miniature marshmallows was another. The middle grandson had his in his hip pocket always till his first day of school and was broken hearted when he couldnt take it with him LOL.

poppy42
04-02-2022, 02:23 AM
Yep took my granddaughter to the range for the first time a couple weeks ago. Nothing better than seeing that ear to ear smile as she was ringing steel! It was the most fun I’ve had in a long long time! Grandkids are so much more fun than your actual kids were!LOL