PDA

View Full Version : USPS shipping box alternative to SFRB

gwozdz
03-29-2022, 01:38 PM
When the USPS Small Flat Rate Box isn't quite large enough, Skip the Medium FRB and you may want to try the Regional Rate Box A. It is 3 times bigger than the SFRB and at times it's cheaper or not much more. These boxes are free from USPS. The only downside is they have a 15 pound limit.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-30-2022, 09:44 AM
Padded flat rate envelope (it's made of tough bubble plastic) will hold about twice as much brass as the SFRB and ships for about same price (maybe 20¢ more?). Most PO's don't stock the Padded flat rate envelope, so you have to order them online from USPS.

Minerat
03-30-2022, 10:28 AM
A large flat rate envelope will hold 2 SFRBs and ships at the envelope rate too.

buckwheatpaul
03-30-2022, 12:27 PM
Great posts all....

poppy42
03-31-2022, 12:50 AM
Padded flat rate envelope (it's made of tough bubble plastic) will hold about twice as much brass as the SFRB and ships for about same price (maybe 20¢ more?). Most PO's don't stock the Padded flat rate envelope, so you have to order them online from USPS.

You can also fit 2 aft boxes in one envelope! I do it all the time! Oops just realized minerat already posted this!

Minerat
04-02-2022, 03:02 PM
Great minds work alike poppy.[smilie=l:

imashooter2
04-02-2022, 11:00 PM
Those regional rate boxes are even flimsier than the flat rate boxes. Use care packing and taping. I’m a big fan of the bubble mailers. They are tough for the employees to break open. Even the seal strip is near impossible to rip.

DougGuy
04-02-2022, 11:21 PM
There is one mailing box slightly bigger than a SFRB which will fit nicely in a padded bubble flat rate mailer. It looks like a SFRB but just says Mailing Box on it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-03-2022, 01:34 PM
There is one mailing box slightly bigger than a SFRB which will fit nicely in a padded bubble flat rate mailer. It looks like a SFRB but just says Mailing Box on it.

Fun fact
DougGuy is refering to the 1096L USPS priority box (not flat rate). It was originally designed for VHS tapes with commercial package, like would be used by movie rental stores.

fatelk
04-03-2022, 07:28 PM
Great info. Another thing to know is that, around here at least, you can't find the regional boxes at the post office. You have to order them online, free from USPS.com.

Regional Box A (15lb limit) goes from about the same price as the SFRB (nearby) up to nearly the same cost as a MFRB (cross country).
Regional Box B (20lb limit) goes from about the same price as the SFRB (nearby) up to about as much as a LFRB cross country.

William Yanda
04-04-2022, 08:27 AM
I found that the regional boxes were not flat rate. In my experience the rate varies with the region.

fatelk
04-04-2022, 07:49 PM
I found that the regional boxes were not flat rate. In my experience the rate varies with the region.

This is very true. In the same region, regional boxes are the best thing going, about the same price as a SFRB. For further regions, the A box goes up to almost as much as a MFRB, and the B box goes up to about as much as a LFRB.

For more than 15 or 20 lbs, and further away than just a couple states, the MRFB is usually your best bet.

frkelly74
04-04-2022, 08:02 PM
Just to throw in my $.02... There is also a legal size flat rate envelope that is only slightly more than the regular Flat rate envelope. I have found that A and B sized can save money if you are sending items too relatively close locations. Coast to coast they are more money than Medium FRBs. Hawaii and Alaska are cheaper if you stick with regular flat rate,,,, at least from Michigan. You do have to order regional boxes, legal flat rate envelopes, and padded flat rate envelopes. It is easy from the USPS website. They are free but you can also buy stamps there. And tape if you need it too.

William Yanda
04-05-2022, 08:14 AM
Just to throw in my $.02... There is also a legal size flat rate envelope that is only slightly more than the regular Flat rate envelope. I have found that A and B sized can save money if you are sending items too relatively close locations. Coast to coast they are more money than Medium FRBs. Hawaii and Alaska are cheaper if you stick with regular flat rate,,,, at least from Michigan. You do have to order regional boxes, legal flat rate envelopes, and padded flat rate envelopes. It is easy from the USPS website. They are free but you can also buy stamps there. And tape if you need it too.

I get a better deal on tape by buying bulk packs-6 or 8-at WallyWorld. Make sure you get the heavier tape the thin stuff is hard to use and does not protect cardboard as well.

pworley1
04-05-2022, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the options.

frkelly74
04-05-2022, 10:05 AM
I get a better deal on tape by buying bulk packs-6 or 8-at WallyWorld. Make sure you get the heavier tape the thin stuff is hard to use and does not protect cardboard as well.

Yes I know, also Menards sells the big packs of tape for a lot less..... But it doesn't say "Priority Mail"" in big official looking letters on it.

shooterg
04-28-2022, 05:03 PM
I thought I used to pay less when paying and printing postage online - but I paid the same as the rate posted in the PO on a SFRB yesterday !

nicholst55
04-29-2022, 09:04 AM
Our local, small, rural (but very busy) Post Office has a very limited assortment of Flat Rate boxes, labels, and such on hand - frequently none at all. I stocked up on the sizes that I use most often by ordering online. Believe it or not, the most difficult thing to acquire was the Flat Rate address labels! I waited over a month for them!

Tripplebeards
04-29-2022, 01:34 PM
USPS has jacked up their proces to the point its about the same price to ship FedEX by me. Also faster service and less of change of damage or a lost package imo.

Finster101
04-29-2022, 01:43 PM
I thought I used to pay less when paying and printing postage online - but I paid the same as the rate posted in the PO on a SFRB yesterday !

It sure beats driving to the PO though. A medium flat rate box will fit in my mailbox, a large will fit in my neighbors who doesn't mind me putting stuff in it.