PDA

View Full Version : Cutting the doughnut out of the brass

Clark
01-22-2009, 04:04 AM
Cutting the doughnut out of the brass case neck base so longer bullets do not get molested upon seating

I cut off a piece of water hardening .25" steel.
I drilled center holes.
I put it between the 3 jaw and live center.
I turned it down to .243" on one end to fit in a .243 collet bullet puller die and .224" on the other end to be the same diameter as a .223 bullet.
I ground a bevel on one end on the 6" grinder rough wheel.
I smoothed the bevel on the end wheel "carbide" grinder
I smoothed further with course diamond EZ lap stone
I smoothed further with fine diamond EX lap stone.
I put the piece in vise grips, heated with Propane torch, and dunked in a paper cup of water.
I smoothed of and removed some blue-black color with the fine EZ lap
I put the piece in the .243 Hornady cam over bullet puller and put the bullet puller in the Co-Ax press.
I selected a piece of sized .223 brass that would take a .221 and .222" pin gauge down the neck, but not past the doughnut.
I raised and lowered the tool while turning the brass in the shell holder for 15 seconds.
I put the brass in the Lee Collet neck to tor return the inside diameter to .222" for max neck tension on a .224" bullet.
I verified that the .222" pin gauge passed where the doughnut had been removed.

Bret4207
01-22-2009, 08:58 AM
Ah! The "Dreaded Doughnut"!!! I'd forgotten about that. Nice job!

Catshooter
01-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Looks like it worked a treat Clark.

Welcome to the board by the way.

In case you do it again, when one is using a torch for heat treatment it sometimes helps to do the final lapping after heat treatment, making the edges all beautiful again. Kinda looks like you may have done that from the pic.

Cat

theperfessor
01-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Neat idea and nice job w/great pictures. Welcome aboard!

leftiye
01-22-2009, 07:21 PM
I should keep my mouth shut - but vatinell are youse guys talking about "donut?"

Clark
01-22-2009, 07:31 PM
I read this guy's site a few days ago, and I wanted to do something:
http://home.comcast.net/~jesse99/15MOA_Taper.html
http://home.comcast.net/~jesse99/donuts.html
http://home.comcast.net/~jesse99/6XC_DonutCutter.html

Flinchrock
01-23-2009, 01:20 AM
I should keep my mouth shut - but vatinell are youse guys talking about "donut?"

Inquiring minds want to know,,,including mine!!!

JSH
01-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Did you actually cut it out? Or just roll it to the outside of the case.
The only way I ever got rid of them was to ream or roll them to the outside and neck turn it off.
When neck turning them off, you have to be real careful or you will loose a lot of cases. Crtical cut is right at the neck shoulder junction.
jeff

Bret4207
01-23-2009, 09:40 AM
The Dreaded Doughnut is a ring of brass on the INSIDE of the neck near the junction of the neck and shoulder. It's allegedly formed during resizing IIRC. Saw an article on in "Precision Shooting" years ago when I still subscribed. Obviously it can cause problems, especially with a long cast boolit being forced by it.

Jetwrench
01-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Bret4207,

I havn't had any donuts from resizing, But, just try to make 221 Fireball cases from 223 and you will have plenty, if you use military brass the problem is even worse. I think it comes from the extra brass thickness that was the wall and now is the neck. Expander ball goes in and irons the brass to the neck - shoulder junction. Jetwrench

TAWILDCATT
01-27-2009, 09:32 PM
I have a bunch of 6.5 carcanos that are once fired I am making into 7.35s and in expanding I found that I thought it was made on purpose to stop the bullet from moving back.I will have to look again at them.:coffee: [smilie=1: