PDA

View Full Version : If you know - you know.

cwtebay
03-27-2022, 09:13 PM
Like the title says, getting towards the end of calving at our place, who knows what is going on here?
Bonus points for the most likely lead up story!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Finster101
03-27-2022, 09:21 PM
Calf turned and wrapped?

Dusty Bannister
03-27-2022, 09:24 PM
Looks like mama is not too thrilled about the new comer. Perhaps a maverick that needs a little help getting a good start in life.

BK7saum
03-27-2022, 09:32 PM
Momma lost a calf. The lost calf was skinned and the lost calf hide was taped onto the orphan so that momma would recognize the smell and not reject it.

cwtebay
03-27-2022, 09:42 PM
Momma lost a calf. The lost calf was skinned and the lost calf hide was taped onto the orphan so that momma would recognize the smell and not reject it.Winner winner!
Her calf had his neck crushed, the taped up step - daughter is getting a little meal before dark.

rancher1913
03-27-2022, 10:23 PM
bk7saum beat me to it. we have used perfume with good results instead of skinning the dead calf. mom cant smell anything but the perfume and just accepts the calf as hers.

Gewehr-Guy
03-28-2022, 08:06 AM
My neighbor pours pancake syrup on the back of the calf, says the cow licks off the syrup and claims the calf. I think you would just have a sticky calf to wrestle around. Did you have enough snow to grow grass? We are dry here, only about 8 inches snow all winter, and no rain yet.

remy3424
03-28-2022, 08:17 AM
My neighbor pours pancake syrup on the back of the calf, says the cow licks off the syrup and claims the calf. I think you would just have a sticky calf to wrestle around. Did you have enough snow to grow grass? We are dry here, only about 8 inches snow all winter, and no rain yet.

Do this really work? Never heard of it before, much easier. Wondering if your neighbor is telling you a story. Great if it was a real thing.

rancher1913
03-28-2022, 08:47 AM
it sounds plausible, you just need to get mama disoriented enough until she accepts the calf.

cwtebay
03-28-2022, 08:48 AM
My neighbor pours pancake syrup on the back of the calf, says the cow licks off the syrup and claims the calf. I think you would just have a sticky calf to wrestle around. Did you have enough snow to grow grass? We are dry here, only about 8 inches snow all winter, and no rain yet.Basically use the same, but in the form of a powder. Yes, it helps a little. I've tried the perfume trick and watched calves get booted across the pen from that as well as other methods. It doesn't take that long to skin the dead one, and it seems to shorten up the adoption process.
Maybe 18" total snow, rained a bit last week. Perhaps this is the week the skies will open up!

Gewehr-Guy
03-28-2022, 01:53 PM
I think the neighbor had good luck using syrup when adopting calves with heifers, them being kind of dumb and wanting a calf. An old cow that licked off her dead calf, is harder to fool. I've cut a strip of hide like a wide collar, and tied it together with twine. Still usually have to hold the cow for a couple of feedings, till the cow gives up and lets the calf suck