PDA

View Full Version : Inherited some older reloading and shooting stuff

Wolfdog91
03-27-2022, 08:38 PM
So my freinds dad passed away recently and at the funeral her and the rest of the family told me that he really wanted me to have all his reloading and related supplies. Really suprised me because when me and her( my friend) dated, me and him never really spoke very much . He was just a real quiet type of guy. But yeah, got a text earlier today asking if I'd come over look over all the guns his daughters inherited to make sure they where safe and all that. Well after I find all that they asked if I wanted to go ahead and try and find and take the reloading stuff I said sure and after probably 30minof digging, I realized pretty quick I should have tried to talk to him more.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220328/5cb52b9d4685b9a24c8a9f6007f133e9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220328/ff1cdae6242ccc55d2cf9a9c07abab01.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220328/b7615e69a7c051e6dad5537374c7cacc.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220328/b5a39926d6ccfd13352f77be5f228482.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220328/94bd16b038efa887ee55b4a40c9ac097.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220328/e626d1302a40ac1c8dfd6d2f22b5aea4.jpg

I mean I haven't been able to really go into there's boxes very much but all I can say is he was very serious about this.... Really wish I talked to him more, according to them he really liked me but getting more then a few sentences out of him ( usually a joke involving me him and a shovel ). You know honestly,I'm not really sure how I should go about this. Idk I'm still just pretty stunned about the whole deal . Was actually pretty choked up the whole time I was pulling these boxes out

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Thumbcocker
03-27-2022, 08:46 PM
Be thankful. Express that to the family. And, most importantly, put that stuff to good use.

Almost everyone here is standing on the shoulders of a few people who took time with us.

He wanted you to have it. He did not want it to go to someone who would trade it for a game console or a car. Honor him by using it well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Finster101
03-27-2022, 08:47 PM
You go about it by simply appreciating it and enjoy using the equipment. I had an older friend who gave me a bunch of his stuff when his eyes got too bad to keep doing it. I have never sold or traded any of it and still use the RCBS jr. press pretty frequently. Think of it as honoring his memory.

StuBach
03-27-2022, 08:48 PM
Take your time and pick one set of equipment at a time. Clean/lube thoroughly and catalog it well. You appear to have some nice gems there.

The history of someone wanting it to be in your possession will be fantastic for you.

If you have pieces you don’t need than pass them on via PIF or sell and use the funds to further your hobby. Sounds like your friends dad would have wanted that for his investment.

Wolfdog91
03-27-2022, 08:52 PM
Be thankful. Express that to the family. And, most importantly, put that stuff to good use.

Almost everyone here is standing on the shoulders of a few people who took time with us.

He wanted you to have it. He did not want it to go to someone who would trade it for a game console or a car. Honor him by using it well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TapatalkI'll tell ya thankful is an understatement to what I'm feeling

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

William Yanda
03-27-2022, 09:11 PM
Sometimes Karma is a lady!

Gator 45/70
03-27-2022, 09:18 PM
I don't know about Wolfdog but someone on here is a Lucky dog

03-27-2022, 09:23 PM
+1 w/ Thumbcocker

Dusty Bannister
03-27-2022, 09:31 PM
Completely agree with post #2. Most older folks would like to know that their recreational items will continue to be used, and not just traded off or dumped. This is your opportunity to help someone else get established as a reloader as well. Enjoy the books, many times the family just thinks they are old books and not worth saving. You have received a gift and you can pass it on in your own time.

contender1
03-27-2022, 09:34 PM
As noted so well above,, be honored & humbled by this. Use wisely,, and share the knowledge,, and remember him.

Bmi48219
03-27-2022, 09:52 PM
As noted so well above,, be honored & humbled by this. Use wisely,, and share the knowledge,, and remember him.

You have the chance to honor someone you didn’t know all that well. In a way that’s his gift to you and to those you will know going forward.

Rattlesnake Charlie
03-27-2022, 10:15 PM
Someone did you right. Good haul.

slim1836
03-27-2022, 10:19 PM
Sorry for the loss of your friend.

You did well, first by impressing a friend and him honoring you in that way. That speaks volumes about your character and the impression you left on him.

Offer to mentor any of his family members who may be interested in learning your skills, you have many from what your posts. Then, if any accept, set them up. It will go a long way.

Slim

david s
03-27-2022, 11:07 PM
You obviously made a good impression on the man. Not an easy thing when it comes to a daughter. It looks like good gear it should serve well.

Texas by God
03-27-2022, 11:22 PM
This is a good thing. His things are going to get used instead of thrown away. That JC Higgins shotgun is AKA a Savage 94- great guns.

remy3424
03-28-2022, 08:10 AM
Very nice of him, you might reciprocate the gesture with something back to his family. Not what I would call "older" equipment. Good stuff there, not sure what you currently use, but might be an upgrade. I wouldn't catalog it, use it and pass long (sell/give-away) what you can't use. An extra press and dumper are allows nice to have set-up on the bench.

dverna
03-28-2022, 08:53 AM
I would be very humbled.

Sasquatch-1
03-28-2022, 08:54 AM
It is probably a testament to your character that he passed these things on to you.

Also, if you cannot find the pan for the powder scale Amazon sells a three-pan set for about $16.00.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09334BVQ2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Markopolo
03-28-2022, 08:57 AM
I betcha a young man like your self, personable, interested, and kind, will find yourself on the receiving end of things many times in your life. When you get older like most of us, don’t hesitate to find somebody to bless and Pour out your cup of knowledge and grace to somebody you deem worthy. The right heart is the important thing. And keep it going.

Marko

Kylongrifle32
03-28-2022, 09:20 AM
It was a very humble gesture the family bestowed upon you. Hopeful you will still be close to them when the next generation decides to try doing the things that grandpa did and you can be there to help guide them get started and guide them along.

Shawlerbrook
03-28-2022, 09:26 AM
The man and family evidently thought a lot of you as said above. Based on the pictures and especially Ken Waters, Pet Loads, the man was a knowledgeable shooter and reloader. Appreciate and use the stuff as he would and you should be proud of the impression you made on the family.

JoeJames
03-28-2022, 09:31 AM
That is a very complete reloading setup. I started with one very similar to that one in @1982 or so. And, I am still using it. It should stand for another generation of use. You have everything you need to start.

Harter66
03-28-2022, 11:26 AM
My Dad left me a mess like that .

I hope the boys I joked with about the shovel don't expect such a gift.

I would say priceless especially since it doesn't sound like you and the family stayed particularly close . It sounds like you made a real lasting impression on him .

country gent
03-28-2022, 11:43 AM
You seldom know How much affect you have in someones life, they seldom show it and it is over looked most of the time. You obviously made an positive impression on ths gentleman for him to want you to have his things. Thru them you will always remember him, every time you see them and use them.

The "empty Chair" now has another sitting in it watching over you

Bmi48219
03-29-2022, 01:02 AM
Really suprised…. me and him never really spoke very much…Really wish I talked to him more, ….

It is humbling when you discover after the fact someone thought highly of you. Not to steer this thread sideways but I’ve often heard amazing bits and pieces of someone’s life after they’ve passed on. Every time it saddens me that I didn’t get or make the opportunity to hear their story firsthand.
An older gentleman used to come to the range Friday mornings when we opened. Friday mornings were great because most of the shooters were regulars and knew what they were doing. They were a little derisive about the old guy, he showed his age. I liked him and we’d talk. One day I had brought my M-1 carbine and he said he had carried one in Korea. Turned out he had been in George Company, 3rd Battalion of the 1st Marines and almost died at Chosin Reservoir. He said the only reason he didn’t bleed to death was his wound had froze because it was so cold. I had read about Chosin and was awestruck to meet someone who had lived through it.
People are the sum of their experiences. I didn’t know a lot about Glen, but what I know will keep him alive, in my memory.
Wolfdog, if you do wind up passing that gear on, make sure you tell the recipient how it came to you.

lightman
03-29-2022, 09:59 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your friends fathers death. I hope you enjoy his equipment as much as he probably did.

Baltimoreed
03-29-2022, 10:21 AM
Very nice. I’ve also been gifted a bunch over the years and have put it all to good use. Enjoy your equipment and components but do more with it than shoot your ammo as a static range, join a club, shoot monthly matches, find a shooting sport that you really enjoy and meet other shooters. There’s ipsc, idpa, cas, bullseye, highpower, 3-gun to name a few. I do cas and have started back shooting zombie matches [ipsc light]. I have a lot more fun shooting with or against good friends than shooting by myself.

BrassMagnet
03-29-2022, 12:27 PM
This is a wonderful story about a great old man and a fine young man.

Winger Ed.
03-29-2022, 12:51 PM
It all speaks well of you.
In about 50 years, it will be your responsibility to place all of it as wisely as he did.

super6
03-29-2022, 01:23 PM
I was gifted A hollywood senior press from a friend at work, It had belonged to his grand father, It came to me with a box full of hensley and gibbs moulds and a 1917 springfield rifle (30-06) that was sporterized to bag shoot. I will always cherish that gifting. Friend sad He thought it would go to good use. Hope you make use of your gift as well!

Land Owner
03-29-2022, 02:13 PM
Tongue-in-cheek
[SARCASM=ON]
IT'S A TRAP! She wants you back. Run! With gear in hand. If you are in the same town, you're *.
[SARCASM=OFF]

others said all I can say...

Budzilla 19
03-29-2022, 03:58 PM
Wolf dog, I’m proud for you to inherit this man’s equipment. I know you will put it to good use.
My own inheritance experience was kinda like yours, but the person was still alive then, ( he has since passed on) . Good friends we were for almost 40 years, one day out of the blue he calls me one night after work, said, “ bring your truck I got something for ya, and bring some totes also.” Oh Lordy, what now. Roll up, garage door open and 40+ years of reloading equipment is laid out on the floor and he says, “ load it all up, I’m done”. He informed me he had tried to sell it locally, got one offer for$80! For all of it. So, I’m giving it all to you, except for one single stage press and some dies for two calibers. This was 14 years ago. I’m still using it. That was an awesome gift to you.

MT Gianni
03-30-2022, 12:15 AM
You are a busy young man but if you can digest the materiel taught in Pet Loads, beyond just the data listed, you would have been given a great gift. The rest is wonderful.

Land Owner
03-30-2022, 04:43 AM
Usurping my own words...there is one more thing. With an immediate influx of reloading equipment, components, and in particular guns with which you may have no familiarity, there begins an issue of whether to accurize each of them to your own satisfaction. Do they shoot and how well? Too many guns too fast can be overwhelming - while you also reconcile the man and his gift.

You want to cast. You want to load. You want to shoot - particularly your existing armory. Yet, your armory just expanded (?-significantly, maybe). You have more "mouths to feed". Your attention is divided. A fork in the road has been encountered.

Are the guns in calibers with which you were previously familiar? Are their components familiar? Do you have to purchase additional components in order to feed them?

New powders, new calibers, and new components lead to a plethora of new choices. Which do you feed first? How do you divide your time to include these "new to armory" guns? The combinations and possibilities can overload your thinking and previous procedures (my epiphany was 40 new guns, 12 new powders, and 8 new calibers) such that nothing gets done in the manner it was done previously. Some guns may get sold or become Safe Queens.

There will be research! Questions to ask. There is always a Learning Curve.

Time runs like a river and before your questions are answered, another week, another month, another year passes, and some guns may not have been touched, fired, or accurized. These are considerations which may weigh on your mind...or not.

bbogue1
03-30-2022, 09:00 AM

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

He bought and used good equipment. Carry on the tradition by learning what to do, do it then mentor. Congratulations, quite an awesome inheritance.

myg30
03-30-2022, 09:15 AM
Wolfdog, I cant say anything that has not already been said here, you are a good man for sure.
I was in a similar situation when I was 17 yrs old. A man I worked for several years after school in a local shop had passed away and his sister in law called me and told me he left me his car.
I cherished that car for a long time. Stored it during the winter months so the salt stayed off of it.
Had to sell it almost 20 years later because of a move and could not afford to ship it or store it.
I think about that car often, now I sure wished I kept it and had it today.

Use and enjoy that equipment he left you. You will never forget the day you got it. Life’s changes may lead you to part with it, but you will always have the great memories.

Mike

gwpercle
03-30-2022, 09:16 AM
It is humbling when you discover after the fact someone thought highly of you. Not to steer this thread sideways but I’ve often heard amazing bits and pieces of someone’s life after they’ve passed on. Every time it saddens me that I didn’t get or make the opportunity to hear their story firsthand.
An older gentleman used to come to the range Friday mornings when we opened. Friday mornings were great because most of the shooters were regulars and knew what they were doing. They were a little derisive about the old guy, he showed his age. I liked him and we’d talk. One day I had brought my M-1 carbine and he said he had carried one in Korea. Turned out he had been in George Company, 3rd Battalion of the 1st Marines and almost died at Chosin Reservoir. He said the only reason he didn’t bleed to death was his wound had froze because it was so cold. I had read about Chosin and was awestruck to meet someone who had lived through it.
People are the sum of their experiences. I didn’t know a lot about Glen, but what I know will keep him alive, in my memory.
Wolfdog, if you do wind up passing that gear on, make sure you tell the recipient how it came to you.

LIKE ! :goodpost:

To all you younger men , Always be nice to and get in good with a girls Daddy ...
You never know , one day he might be your Father-In-Law and one day you might have to live with him or he might have to live with you ... So ... Be Nice !
Gary

WRideout
03-30-2022, 09:29 AM
I am still using the RCBS press, Ohaus balance, and other equipment my stepfather gave me, as well as the 30-06 rifle. I think about him all the time. Good memories. Use that equipment well, WolfDog

Wayne

farmbif
03-30-2022, 07:56 PM
I just know you will cherish that stuff and put it to good use.
I going to be gifting some of my stuff to a you friend of mine. yeah, I had to see neurosurgeon last week and he told me there is no surgery that can fix the dsamage to my neck after that wreck I was in back in October , so I decided id rather see this very good friend of mine enjoy some of the stuff I have, put it to good use and enjoy it rather than let it collect late model rust. there won't be any more shooting of the 444 and some other stuff for me. it will be more like 38 and 44 specials, 22 hornet and such and guess I oought to learn more about those cowboy loads.

Alstep
03-30-2022, 09:52 PM
I'm really happy for you Wolfdog. You must have earned that man's respect, and he picked you to carry on.
Use it well, that's what he wanted.