PDA

View Full Version : Why? What am I missing?

LeadHead72
03-27-2022, 07:39 PM
Someone help me out here... A mould that I was watching on eBay sold today; a RCBS 32-84-WC with top punch that went for $177.50!!
I have this same mould in excellent condition that came with a batch of moulds that I purchased 2-3 years ago and have been holding on to it just in case the need for a .32 Long/H&R Mag target load happens to pop up. Gotta say that if someone offered me $175 for it, however, it would be pretty tempting to sell.
So what am I missing here?

fc60
03-27-2022, 07:47 PM
Greetings,

The RCBS 32-84-WC was discontinued years ago.

If you shoot 32 WadCutter in competition the price is worth it, to the buyer...

Cheers,

Dave

LeadHead72
03-27-2022, 07:59 PM
Well, it wouldn't seem unusual to expect $100 or a bit more for a discontinued RCBS, but that just sounded really high for what doesn't strike me as a mould that's particularly uncommon--or is it?

MT Gianni
03-27-2022, 08:40 PM
Very uncommon, but any knowledgeable caster should be able to duplicate it with a 4-6 cavity from Accurate for less. Also not all molds sold here stay here. Many might be shipped overseas where that would be a reasonable price.

littlejack
03-28-2022, 01:46 PM
Some moulds, especially discontinued moulds can bring premium prices, especially if the buyer is looking for that particular mould. I've paid premium for a couple moulds, but was happy I have the mould. "That makes me the winner". Right?? I purchased an Ideal dc 412174 a few months back that I had been searching for a few years. Although, it was originally manufactured for the 40-75 cartridge, I shoot that bullet in my .41 magnum loads. Yep, depends on what folks are looking for.

megasupermagnum
03-28-2022, 01:57 PM
Discontinued or not, the only good explanation is that people who pay these crazy prices have never heard of Accurate molds. Sometimes they are collectable, such as most H&G molds, or maybe old Ideal molds, or something along those lines. This isn't that case as far as I can tell.

littlejack
03-28-2022, 04:17 PM
Well, I've heard of and looked many times at Accurate Molds offered. It was and still is my choice (as it is to others) to purchase what ever mould I /they see fit. You can't dictate to others what you think they should purchase just because thats what you prefer. Just sayin.

ascast
03-28-2022, 04:54 PM
.32 WC is also a good off hand 30 rifle practice bullet. I just looke at Accurate molds. A 2 cav, steel, that cal is in that range, i.e. over $150. I don't find that out of line at all.

Bushwacker Berg
03-29-2022, 05:46 PM
Wadcutters for self defense are all the rage in the smaller calibers, might be a new generation reinventing the wheel.

LeadHead72
03-29-2022, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. I had no idea this mould might be considered at all unusual or in higher demand than average. A couple of years ago I almost sold it, not having a .32 handgun at the time, thinking it might be nice to have if I ended up with a 32 H&R Mag or something. Since then a couple of .327 Federal Mag revolvers have found their way my direction so these might do OK when loaded in some H&R Mag brass for the Blackhawk.

LeadHead72
04-07-2022, 05:15 PM
Well, how ironic to be posting again so soon and for the reason that I am, but I completely unexpectedly ran across a deal that was too good to pass up on a S&W top-break .32 S&W; a Safety Hammerless 1st Model.
Does anyone here load wadcutters similar to the 32-84-WC in such a gun and do you have recommended data for it? I have no interest in using black powder.

swamp
04-07-2022, 07:15 PM
I don't think there is enough room in a 32 S&W case for wadcutters.
Don't remember seeing any loads for them in the manuals.
swamp

megasupermagnum
04-07-2022, 09:37 PM
If you were to load the wadcutter out I'm sure it will work. I really doubt you are going to flush seat a wadcutter in 32 S&W unless it was really light. I'm not familiar with top breaks, but if it happens to be a 32 S&W long, then that is a whole different ball game. Those are standard with wadcutters, I rarely find anything else in the store.

LeadHead72
04-07-2022, 10:54 PM
If you were to load the wadcutter out I'm sure it will work. I really doubt you are going to flush seat a wadcutter in 32 S&W unless it was really light. I'm not familiar with top breaks, but if it happens to be a 32 S&W long, then that is a whole different ball game. Those are standard with wadcutters, I rarely find anything else in the store.

Yes, perhaps I could get away with it by seating them only as deep as you would normally seat a typical 85-87gr bullet?

megasupermagnum
04-08-2022, 03:11 AM
That's what I would think, but I've never tried it. Measure the shank of the bullet that is inside the case, and try to match it with a wadcutter. I'm trying it in Quickloads, and it does look possible, but seating depth is a huge factor. All loads for 32 s&w are so picky as it is, most of which only hover around 1 grain of fast powder. Basically whatever gets out of the barrel is your max load. Definitely not a cartridge for on a progressive loader.

pworley1
04-08-2022, 07:24 AM
Value is in the eye of the beholder.

1Hawkeye
04-16-2022, 04:36 PM
A friend of mine once asked an auctioneer what do you need to have a auction his reply was "something to sell and 2 guys who don't like each other very much". I kinda keep that in the back of my mind when I'm looking through ebay and broker the other sites. Last month a Marlin 336 went for amost 11000.00 because 2 halfwits got into a bidding war. Not bad for the guy selling a 495.00 rifle huh?

LeadHead72
04-16-2022, 05:38 PM
Yeah, and if you look at the buying history for the winner of that 336 you'll see he has a habit of spending big bucks on guns. That was a crazy auction.

gwpercle
04-16-2022, 08:36 PM
I don't think there is enough room in a 32 S&W case for wadcutters.
Don't remember seeing any loads for them in the manuals.
swamp

You don't seat the wadcutter flush ...but rather leave the nose out and the base in the same location as a RN or SWC , crimping is done in a grease groove .
The 32 S&W is so short a case that you can seat the base band , one grease groove and crimp in the next ...that's about all there is room for .
Look in Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #3 , page 254 , there is data for the Lyman #313249 84 gr. RN with 9 different powders in the 32 S&W ( not the 32 S&W Long...which is different and easier to find data for !) Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition does NOT contain any data on the 32 S&W -dropped from manual .... 4th Edition has a lot more data on the 32 S&W Long but the 32 S&W is a "No Show" . If you don't have a Lyman #3 ...tell me what powders you have and I will post the data . they show data with following powders :
700X
PB
SR-7625
Bullseye
Red Dot
Green Dot
Unique
Trap100
Gary

LeadHead72
04-16-2022, 10:12 PM
Ah, my Lyman is the 4th Edition, so thank you for your offer. Of that list I have 700-X, Bullseye and Unique.

gwpercle
04-17-2022, 09:14 AM
Ah, my Lyman is the 4th Edition, so thank you for your offer. Of that list I have 700-X, Bullseye and Unique.

700X - start : 1.2 grs @ 613 fps .../ ... Maximum : 1.7 grs. @ 798 fps.

Bullseye - start: 1.0 grs. @ 468 fps .../... Maximum : 1.4 grs, @ 578 fps.

Unique - start: 1.5 grs. @ 493 fps. .../... Maximum : 2.4 grs. @ 753 fps .

Seat the base band , 1 grease groove , the next driving band and crimp in the next grease groove .
This will give you about the same powder capacity as a RN or SWC .
I do this with 148 gr. and 160 gr. Wadcutters in 38 S&W and it works fine . I have my grandfathers 38 S&W DA top break and enjoy shooting it with cast wadcutters .

700X seems to be the velocity leader with this round !
Hope this helps ,
Gary