PDA

View Full Version : A Short Treatise on the Nature of Truth

Char-Gar
03-27-2022, 12:46 PM
A Short Treatise on the Nature of Truth

My daughter is a very, very bright woman who trains executives for a living. Recently she said to me, something like: People have a hard time understanding that it is entirely possible to hold two opposing and conflicting views on the same subject at the same time. I agree, for I often do so.

Sometimes “A” is true about something in context “Y” and not true in context “Z” and that can be turned around with “B”. While I use the word “true”, I don’ mean true, true but accurate. What is or is not truth is a very complex truth. In fact, it drove Pilot to asked “What is truth”. Truth means many different things to many different things. Love is another concept that has a huge disparity of meanings. There are just some things that can be discussed, but never defined.

In spite of the complexity of truth, I do believe that there are “verities”, truths which are true, for all people in all situations, in all cultures at all times. Such verities because of their universal and timeless nature do not come from the human mind. They come from the divine mind.

I have spent many, many hours over the last 50 years, contemplating the verities and trying to stick them to the walls of my brain. I have had a little luck in doing so, but verities are slipper little boogers.

I would like to submit to you one such verity. Here is it: “Little children love one another”. This is a foundational truth of human existence that is rarely practice and often ignored. Humans have replaced this verity with anger, greed, hate, jealousy and war. No wonder human society is in deep doo-doo and comes under the judgment of God.

Humans have found it impossible to practice this most basic and foundational divine truth. What we need is a savior….wait…God has taken care of that also.

There are other verities and I am hot on their trail. More later…maybe.

WRideout
03-27-2022, 03:20 PM
I have taught recovering addicts that love is an action, not a feeling of affection.

Wayne

Char-Gar
03-27-2022, 05:42 PM
I have taught recovering addicts that love is an action, not a feeling of affection.

Wayne

That is the essence of the Christian concept of agape love. It is doing based on a deliberate choice.

fixit
03-27-2022, 07:11 PM
Many "truths" are merely opinions disguised as truth. We have elevated feeling to the level of truth, and the result has been catastrophic, with solid realities being questioned, and even ridiculed. Scripture speaks of mankind's capacity to call good, evil, and evil, good. We are masterful at deluding ourselves in the name of doing, or obtaining what we want, and right or wrong is easily waived from consideration when we are ruled by those desires.

Good Cheer
03-27-2022, 09:11 PM
And then sometimes He intervenes and that's your truth.