PDA

View Full Version : Why there is no "like" button.

Idaho45guy
03-26-2022, 06:28 PM
I notice that there are many calls for adding a "like" button to the site. Seems at least once a week I notice someone asking for one.

I would love one as well, since I read so many posts that I like and agree with, but don't have the time to copy and paste and make a positive comment.

I am no computer expert, but I suspect that adding a "like" button is just not possible with the current forum software format.

Doing so would require a substantial investment in time and expense and would require a completely different look of the site.

Again, I don't know. But I think that if it was an easy and quick mod to add, then admin would have done it already.

Hoping someone in the know would respond and verify why the site doesn't have a "like" button. I'm sure many others are curious as well.

Gofaaast
03-26-2022, 07:54 PM
I’m in the camp that doesn’t think it’s relevant. Unless you tied an algorithm to the posts and top rated rose up I see no point. I’m not a social media person though. I do regularly thumbs up yt videos if it’s one I like or provided info that helped me knowing that will help the creators monetarily. I thumbs down ones I judge as poor or containing false info. If this site had one I’d hit the button but my feelings are why waste the money changing the site.

Bazoo
03-26-2022, 07:54 PM
I don’t know about the ease of it either, but I suspect the other way, that it’ll be as easy as clicking a button on the forum software. The high road has a like button. It couldn’t be too hard.

Outer Rondacker
03-26-2022, 08:09 PM
I think if we put up a like button then we should have a Dislike button or a BS button as well. Just saying.

JimB..
03-26-2022, 08:17 PM
I don’t know about the ease of it either, but I suspect the other way, that it’ll be as easy as clicking a button on the forum software. The high road has a like button. It couldn’t be too hard.

Were it possible, I would “like” this post.

Bazoo
03-26-2022, 09:34 PM
Were it possible, I would “like” this post. I in turn would have “liked” that post. But, I guess you wouldn’t have posted it if you “liked” it.

If we had a like button, I surmise, we’d be the likingest bunch of folks on the internet.

Idaho45guy
03-26-2022, 11:09 PM
I in turn would have “liked” that post. But, I guess you wouldn’t have posted it if you “liked” it.

If we had a like button, I surmise, we’d be the likingest bunch of folks on the internet.

Like. :mrgreen:

swamp
03-26-2022, 11:36 PM
If I am interested in following a thread I subscribe to it. Get emails when something new is posted. Works for me.
swamp

RoyEllis
03-27-2022, 12:17 AM
A like button? Where do ya think you are.....faceboolits?

Sasquatch-1
03-27-2022, 06:47 AM
If you look just above the messages at the top of the thread, there is a spot that says, "Rate This Thread". You can choose 1 of 5 ratings. Is this not sufficient?

sharps4590
03-27-2022, 07:17 AM
That would be the thread in its entirety, correct? No, it isn't sufficient. One might like a particular post and dislike another in a thread.

winelover
03-27-2022, 07:47 AM
:goodpost: We do have this option.

Winelover

barnabus
03-27-2022, 08:30 AM
plz dont turn this site into a face book clone.likes are for kids and will bring the insecure out in droves posting nonsense to get attention.

Finster101
03-27-2022, 08:35 AM
plz dont turn this site into a face book clone.likes are for kids and will bring the insecure out in droves posting nonsense to get attention.

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!

NSB
03-27-2022, 08:42 AM
I like this answer. Put me down for a NO on the like button.

Hossfly
03-27-2022, 08:44 AM
I like the idea of using the thread tools, and subscribe to a thread I (like) and get emails as to when someone comments, so I can just click on it and continue. Then later when I’m back up just click on user name then cp and subscriptions.

remy3424
03-27-2022, 09:14 AM
I think if we put up a like button then we should have a Dislike button or a BS button as well. Just saying.

I would "like" this post. Getting "dislike" like might cut down on the nonsence threads and they could save those for their facebook accounts.

Something that is not needed here. "Dislike" selected for this thread.

JimB..
03-27-2022, 09:25 AM
I in turn would have “liked” that post. But, I guess you wouldn’t have posted it if you “liked” it.

You are correct, I would not have posted, I would have just indicated that I agree with the statement by liking it.

In most threads there is both good and bad information posted. The threads on any legal issue are a disaster, annealing is a mess, alloying is often poorly explained or full of misinformation, and NFA posts are very confusing but I mostly blame that on the government. I don’t think it good to have an “unlike” button because of the potential for butt-hurt drama, but having a like button so that a reader can quickly get a sense of which posts align with the understanding of the community seems useful. Sure folks will get likes or not for posting stuff in the pit, that’s just a side effect and shouldn’t be an excuse to not consider the benefit in the core portions of the site. It’s a tool that didn’t exist before, but it does now.

nicholst55
03-27-2022, 10:02 AM
Most of the other forums that I frequent have either been bought by the 1-2 big corporations that are buying web forums up, and then "new-and-improved" with new software, or just adopted the new software. IMHO, most of them suck. They all look virtually identical, and that gets boring. Granted, I spend too much time online. Personally, I can live without a 'Like' button. I'm old, cranky, and dislike change just for the sake of change. Keep it like it is, at least for as long as humanly possible!

bedbugbilly
03-27-2022, 10:23 AM
If you see a post that you like and possibly want to go back to it to re-read, copy and paste it to Word or similar software to run off to save or similar . . . . easy enough to just "bookmarks it" . . . no different that bookmarking a specific site. Easy enough to set up a separate file in your bookmarks specifically for those.

MaryB
03-27-2022, 12:38 PM

Where is the like button for this post LMAO

Gator 45/70
03-27-2022, 12:52 PM
It would be helpful to all the
Fuds on here if we had a like button, To them it would be a heads up kinda thingy

Char-Gar
03-27-2022, 01:03 PM
I would like a like button. Other gun and bullet casting forums have one.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-27-2022, 01:50 PM
I'd like a post, if the post would fix the search function :P

gwpercle
03-27-2022, 01:59 PM
I notice that there are many calls for adding a "like" button to the site. Seems at least once a week I notice someone asking for one.

I would love one as well, since I read so many posts that I like and agree with, but don't have the time to copy and paste and make a positive comment.

I am no computer expert, but I suspect that adding a "like" button is just not possible with the current forum software format.

Doing so would require a substantial investment in time and expense and would require a completely different look of the site.

Again, I don't know. But I think that if it was an easy and quick mod to add, then admin would have done it already.

Hoping someone in the know would respond and verify why the site doesn't have a "like" button. I'm sure many others are curious as well.

LIKE LIKE LIKE !!!
Gary

This is the way I hit my like button ... but no one else seems to use it ...
That's Okay ...I'll just Keep On Keepin On with my like button because it's all I got ! But a real Like button that shows who likes something would be welcomed with opened arms .
Gary

Froogal
03-27-2022, 03:03 PM
like like like !!!
Gary

this is the way i hit my like button ... But no one else seems to use it ...
That's okay ...i'll just keep on keepin on with my like button because it's all i got ! But a real like button that shows who likes something would be welcomed with opened arms .
Gary
like! Like! Like!

osage
03-27-2022, 03:13 PM
Bookmarking thread works for me. I can copy text from a specific post into a document if need be.

Bazoo
03-27-2022, 03:17 PM
For me a like button offers the poster a sense of who agrees with them without the agreers getting in the conversation.

Like if I said I get good results by sizing to barrel dimensions instead of throat dimensions, no one speaks up except Larry Gibson and 243win. But maybe another mess of folks agree but don’t speak up because they don’t want to have to defend their position with an hours explanation against the drones of folks that size to throat dimensions blindly.

David2011
03-27-2022, 06:06 PM

Kudos for the most creative answer!

MT Gianni
03-27-2022, 08:28 PM
For me a like button offers the poster a sense of who agrees with them without the agreers getting in the conversation.

Like if I said I get good results by sizing to barrel dimensions instead of throat dimensions, no one speaks up except Larry Gibson and 243win. But maybe another mess of folks agree but don’t speak up because they don’t want to have to defend their position with an hours explanation against the drones of folks that size to throat dimensions blindly.

And that is the trouble with a like button. They can turn in to a popularity contest. They can cause someone to pile on, and far too many times the OP likes everyone that posted in their thread. If we are incapable of taking something out of a post without fear of adverse comments, differing opinions and don't want to offer contrasting info that counteracts the position suggested we are to fragile, IMO.
A board should be a place to learn without fear of opinions being censored. That said the opinions posted must absolutely fit the rules of the board. Likes and dislikes/removal of likes only tend to create feelings without causing someone to study a subject deeper.
Are there posts I would like here recently? Sure but only to let someone know I agreed, and that is not enough to recommend it to anyone else. They are not here as Ken, the original Board Owner, thought them more of a distraction than an asset. I think he was right.

Outpost75
03-27-2022, 10:02 PM
Like button should require answering a security question, such as the value of Pi to sixteen decimal places.

NO LIKE BUTTON!!!!!

Idaho45guy
03-27-2022, 10:13 PM
And that is the trouble with a like button. They can turn in to a popularity contest.

Or maybe the grouchy old farts on here who only post negative things will get a hint that maybe nobody likes their attitude?

45workhorse
03-27-2022, 10:15 PM
Sometimes enough buttons are pushed just from the post!

JimB..
03-28-2022, 12:01 AM
Like button should require answering a security question, such as the value of Pi to sixteen decimal places.

NO LIKE BUTTON!!!!!
Would you accept either 22/7 or for those of you that think in radians, 180 degrees?

Sasquatch-1
03-28-2022, 08:25 AM
To me a like button is only an EGO stroker.

Whenever I agree and like what someone post, a short quotation and +1 seems to work.

I find on this site that if a thread is really liked by a vast number of people, it gets turned into a "Sticky."

Finster101
03-28-2022, 08:34 AM
Or maybe the grouchy old farts on here who only post negative things will get a hint that maybe nobody likes their attitude?

Or, perhaps not everyone feels the need to seek reinforcement about life choices on the internet.

IHuntDragons
03-28-2022, 09:06 AM
You can absolutely add it using vBulletin which is what this site is built on. It may not be available in the ancient version used here though. It's always been quirky to set it up though because of some permissions issues. Again, not sure we need to one anyway, but I would personally be more concerned we're running on a version that's over a decade old and is no longer supported than whether or not we have a like button.

gwpercle
03-28-2022, 10:13 AM
Most of the other forums that I frequent have either been bought by the 1-2 big corporations that are buying web forums up, and then "new-and-improved" with new software, or just adopted the new software. IMHO, most of them suck. They all look virtually identical, and that gets boring. Granted, I spend too much time online. Personally, I can live without a 'Like' button. I'm old, cranky, and dislike change just for the sake of change. Keep it like it is, at least for as long as humanly possible!

LIKE ! :goodpost:
Gary

I can get by with this method of liking .
Didn't know about the good post smilie ... but I found it !

:goodpost: Sweet !

Idaho45guy
03-29-2022, 02:27 AM
or, perhaps not everyone feels the need to seek reinforcement about life choices on the internet.

lol!

remy3424
03-29-2022, 07:10 AM
Or, perhaps not everyone feels the need to seek reinforcement about life choices on the internet.

Isn't that the truth!!! There must be better places for doing that.

gwpercle
03-29-2022, 09:34 AM
Everyone Likes a Like ... it's like a computer Hug !
Gary

sparky45
03-29-2022, 09:44 AM
lol!

I like this post. I think we should continue taking up website space with long drawn out missives describing just how much (we) like a post, possibly causing adm. to look into a bigger server bandwidth included. Just think, I could have simply smashed the "like" icon and not written this drivel.

Froogal
03-29-2022, 09:51 AM
I like this post. I think we should continue taking up website space with long drawn out missives describing just how much (we) like a post, possibly causing adm. to look into a bigger server bandwidth included. Just think, I could have simply smashed the "like" icon and not written this drivel.

BINGO!!! I like that thought.

Sasquatch-1
03-29-2022, 12:41 PM

Yah, but you probably would have written it anyway.:mrgreen:

super6
03-29-2022, 01:42 PM
Humm, 22/7 only produces 9 digits.

Valley-Shooter
03-29-2022, 02:32 PM
I frequent a similar forum that has a Like Button. I use it all the time.
I use it on posts that ask a good question and posts that provide the best answer.
I don't feel the need to post on every thread with useless posts.
I wish there was a thumbs down button 👎 also.

Finster101
03-29-2022, 03:13 PM
"I wish there was a thumbs down button �� also."

For useless threads?

Idaho45guy
03-29-2022, 03:21 PM
It would be nice to have an upgraded ignore feature as well. All other forums I'm on, when I put some grumpy old fart that only attacks happy people on "ignore", I never see their spiteful and bitter posts again. When somebody quotes their vitriol, it doesn't appear.

Here, I see a post advising me that this angry person has posted more vitriol and that they are on my ignore list and gives me the option to see the post or remove them from my ignore list.

I've decided to move on and not waste time or energy on their hate, so the current system of constantly being told that they are posting seems counter intuitive.

Rapier
03-29-2022, 03:48 PM
This site is pretty simple, it works, the majority of the time. Too many frills gets to many edges to grab hold of, like broken glass, by the cruds that want to destroy all shooting sites.

Tazman1602
03-29-2022, 04:18 PM
That would be the thread in its entirety, correct? No, it isn't sufficient. One might like a particular post and dislike another in a thread.

Agreed 100%
Sooo….what function does the “thingy” in the lower right corner of a comment that turns into a checkmark when you click it do?

I too would like a “like”, “BS”, or “Yuck” button somewhere. Just an opinion…

Art

bangerjim
03-29-2022, 04:38 PM
Buttons. BUTTONS??????? We don't need no stinking buttons! That is why I never do Facebutte or TwittyMail.

What we got here is just fine. If you don't like it, ignore it!

wildwilly501
03-29-2022, 04:44 PM
For myself I’d just as soon be around a grumpy old man over someone that whines and complains all the time

JimB..
03-29-2022, 04:46 PM
Buttons. BUTTONS??????? We don't need no stinking buttons! That is why I never do Facebutte or TwittyMail.

What we got here is just fine. If you don't like it, ignore it!

With so many things wrong about facebook and twitter the thing that keeps you away from them is that they have a like button?

I don’t use them for other reasons, not even sure if they have like buttons to tell you the truth.

Valley-Shooter
03-29-2022, 05:27 PM
"I wish there was a thumbs down button �� also."

For useless threads?
Thumbs up!
��

15meter
03-29-2022, 06:17 PM
I'd like a post, if the post would fix the search function :P

I also have been disappointed in the search function lately, but I came to a realization today that part of my problem with it is the time limit function on how far back the system will allow searches.

When I set the search to look from day 1 I get much more of what I'm looking for. I need to play with it more to see if that has been a large part of not being able to find what I'm looking for is I'm not looking in the right place, as in the WHOLE forum.

Not the first time I haven't been looking where I'm supposed to. probably won't be the last.

gwpercle
03-30-2022, 09:22 AM

:goodpost:

Hey no like button ... I don't have a problem with that !
Gary

.429&H110
03-30-2022, 12:44 PM
An evangelist will never get a like and is usually ignored.

Every once in a while I might connect, one in a thousand...

So do you ignore Jeremiah? He was quite correct, and ignored.

Yah, I know. You didn't come here for a sermon...

MaryB
03-30-2022, 12:46 PM
:goodpost: there's your like button

sparky45
03-30-2022, 01:23 PM
I prefer a like button, it enforces my appreciation for a good post.

45workhorse
03-31-2022, 09:33 PM
Everyone Likes a Like ... it's like a computer Hug !
Gary

Unless you get a virus with that hug!!!