PDA

View Full Version : I'll bet i don't do this again

murf205
03-25-2022, 12:50 PM
When I was a dedicated varmint /turkey hunter I put camo tape on my 11-87 Remington. That was about 10 of 12 yrs ago and yesterday I decided to remove it, yeah, right! It took the better part of 4 hrs to get this mess off the gun and it is a wonder that the finish stayed intact. It is certainly true that the Lord looks out for fools and children! This was done before I started using my dull finish 870 Express which patterns better anyway. This is the most sticky stuff I have ever seen.

waksupi
03-25-2022, 01:16 PM
Go after it with some mineral spirits and a shop rag.

Martin Luber
03-25-2022, 02:06 PM
Or goof ff , goo- gone

Lakehouse2012
03-25-2022, 02:10 PM
Easy off oven cleaner if it's been anodized. Put in a bag and spray it, let sit until clean.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Budzilla 19
03-25-2022, 02:18 PM
I had a couple of these sticky messes come into the shop before! My opinion: strip the action down all the way, put it in a bath of mineral spirits, come back a day later, wash it with a rag till said sticky mess is all gone, blow it off till dry, re-oil it, reassemble, Done! And your shotgun will be clean. Wipe the stock with mineral spirits till clean, hopefully the finish won’t come off! Good luck to ya!

That solvent should take care of your problem.

elmacgyver0
03-25-2022, 02:23 PM
With a lot of the suggestions, you are getting you will be removing more than just the tape residue.

super6
03-25-2022, 02:59 PM
With a lot of the suggestions, you are getting you will be removing more than just the tape residue.

Be prepared for a refinish, Maybe new blue.

Retumbo
03-25-2022, 03:30 PM
WD-40 will get rid of that nicely

murf205
03-25-2022, 03:30 PM
Be prepared for a refinish, Maybe new blue.

You maybe right. I thought I would post this boo boo anyway so someone else would think twice before applying this stuff on their gun.

RickinTN
03-25-2022, 03:33 PM
WD-40 should remove the sticky but not the finish on the shotgun. I've had to use it when removing a comb pad off of an 870 Wingmaster. No indication it was ever there.
Rick

Gtek
03-25-2022, 04:46 PM
^^^^^^^^ WD-40 works great for sticker stuff, that and one other thing it's good for. It makes a really good bug killer with the red tube installed and a Bic lighter, nice mini flame thrower. That's it, that's about all it's good for!

Froogal
03-25-2022, 04:49 PM
I've found rubbing alcohol to work very good when removing the sticky residue from bumper stickers, etc.

ascast
03-25-2022, 05:20 PM
goof off or wd40

ryanmattes
03-25-2022, 06:45 PM
For others who might be thinking about doing something like this, they now make camo tape for guns that's like Vetrap, which sticks to itself but not other surfaces. No glues involved. It doesn't last as long as sticky tape, as it loses it's stretchy-ness it will come loose, but it doesn't leave a mess behind.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071FJ32N4/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_KAR3TC36D886QA0WM4BJ

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

charlie b
03-25-2022, 08:09 PM
I had to clean a stick on pad from a shotgun many years ago. WD-40 was the primary chemical used. It did not mess up the finish on the stock either.

An acquaintance put some camo tape on a shotgun and after several years he had a rusty mess (KY).

After that I vowed never to use any type of tape on a gun except as a temporary means of marking positions for working on them.

Greg S
03-25-2022, 08:48 PM
Mineral spirits then xylene /goof off. Acetone will work but evaporates too quickly, maybe a final wipe down. Be careful of saturating checkering and breaks/deep scratches through the finish. The solvent may expand the wood and break the bond of the finish in the area adjacent to the scratch.

Be mindful of the flammability and inhalation/absorption through your skin. This is best performed outside.

murf205
03-25-2022, 09:59 PM
I must have anticipated this debacle when I taped the gun because I put electrical tape over the checkering. Believe me, this will not happen again and if any of you are contemplating camoing a gun, use the stuff ryanmattes recommended.298199298200 Walmart spray brake cleaner got it off but only after I tried it out on a very small and inconspicuous place. I didn't have any WD-40 but that advice is a good one-maybe all it is good for.

GhostHawk
03-26-2022, 07:03 AM
I have a Rem 870 special trap in 12 ga that I camo taped 40 years ago for goose hunting. I've looked at it a half a dozen times in the last years since I retired. As I have the time to put it right. But I keep putting it off.

The stuff I used suggested a well oiled gun and a good spray of WD-40 prior to taping.

Going to be interesting If I ever find the nerve to start peeling.

Sasquatch-1
03-26-2022, 09:13 AM
I must have anticipated this debacle when I taped the gun because I put electrical tape over the checkering. Believe me, this will not happen again and if any of you are contemplating camoing a gun, use the stuff ryanmattes recommended.298199298200 Walmart spray brake cleaner got it off but only after I tried it out on a very small and inconspicuous place. I didn't have any WD-40 but that advice is a good one-maybe all it is good for.

Looks like a totally different gun. :drinks:[smilie=w:

Hickok
03-26-2022, 09:38 AM
I like WD-40.

It also takes the idiot-stickers of motorcycle gas tanks,..."Use only gasoline, Not water."........"Must be 10 years old to ride"....."Organ-donor machine!"..."No Step."[smilie=2:

MostlyLeverGuns
03-26-2022, 09:55 AM
WD40 works well, I use the GOOP Hand Cleaner. You can put on everything without concern for damage, leave for a day or so, wipe off. Of course, after all the sticky stuff is gone, a good detailed cleaning should be done.

fiberoptik
03-26-2022, 12:47 PM
WD-40 is a great bug spray for hornets/wasps/yellowjackets. Wait till they go into the nest after sundown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwpercle
03-26-2022, 02:26 PM
I don't know what transformation the adhesive of old duct tape goes through but it turns into some solid material that even Goo-B-Gone has trouble getting off .
I've tried Mineral spirits , acetone and Ed's Red Solvent ... and nothing easily removes it .
Gary

Texas by God
03-26-2022, 04:16 PM
For blued steel only; Berryman's B12 carb cleaner will clean it. Wear gloves and glasses. As stated, I'd use WD-40 on the stock and anodized parts.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

rondog
03-26-2022, 05:58 PM
Home Depot sells this stuff - I'd never use it as an air freshener, it leaves a wet, oily residue. But it's GREAT for removing adhesives residues! When I worked for Home Depot, that's what we used for cleaning the price label residues off of the beams in the merchandise bays.

murf205
03-26-2022, 06:03 PM
I like WD-40.

It also takes the idiot-stickers of motorcycle gas tanks,..."Use only gasoline, Not water."........"Must be 10 years old to ride"....."Organ-donor machine!"..."No Step."[smilie=2:

"Use only gasoline-not water"! That's a hoot. Almost as silly as the warning that came with the battery and acid for my 4 wheeler. The pack of acid said "not for human consumption" ! Who ever thought these things up must be kin to the guys that decided to put symbols on auto dashboard gages instead of spelling what they do.

Big thanks to all who gave tips on reclaiming a boo boo.

rondog, does that Pure Citrus take paint off with it? I have a friend who strips S&W revolver stocks and citrus it what he uses to get the old finish off.

quack1
03-27-2022, 08:05 AM
Surprised nobody mentioned Hoppes #9 for taking tape residue off. Works good.

blackthorn
03-27-2022, 05:55 PM
"Use only gasoline-not water"! That's a hoot. Almost as silly as the warning that came with the battery and acid for my 4 wheeler. The pack of acid said "not for human consumption" ! Who ever thought these things up must be kin to the guys that decided to put symbols on auto dashboard gages instead of spelling what they do.

After long consideration, I came to the conclusion that symbols on road signs and as mentioned above were put there to allow second language folks to survive. I have also come to the conclusion that the world would be a better place if those stupid warnings on labels were left off to allow Darwin to function as intended!

David2011
03-27-2022, 06:12 PM
The safest suggestions by far are WD-40 and mineral spirits. Mineral spirits is my go-to for removing adhesive residue because there is very little that it will damage but WD-40 works very well; I just don’t keep it on hand all the time.

mr surveyor
03-27-2022, 08:08 PM
another vote for WD-40

jd

remy3424
03-27-2022, 08:29 PM
Well done murf, looks great! Like ghosthawk, I have a firearm, a 788 222Rem, I taped-up maybe 30 years ago, used masking tape (light camo spray paint over it). I am sure the "stickness" is long gone from the adhesive...not sure if that will make it easier or harder to remove....just keep avoiding finding out what has happened under that tape. I need to get after it and then try some cast in her.

rondog
03-27-2022, 11:05 PM
Rondog, does that Pure Citrus take paint off with it? I have a friend who strips S&W revolver stocks and citrus it what he uses to get the old finish off.

I couldn't tell ya, I've never used it on anything painted. Some paints are tough as steel, and some are real sissies.

murf205
03-28-2022, 10:01 AM
Well done murf, looks great! Like ghosthawk, I have a firearm, a 788 222Rem, I taped-up maybe 30 years ago, used masking tape (light camo spray paint over it). I am sure the "stickness" is long gone from the adhesive...not sure if that will make it easier or harder to remove....just keep avoiding finding out what has happened under that tape. I need to get after it and then try some cast in her.

I will assure you that the "stickyness" was not gone from the mess I had on this shotgun. I had to use pliers to get a hold of a piece of tape and pull HARD! This was after had sprayed the 1st blast of brake cleaner on it. I am fortunate that I didn't damage the gun. With what I learned from this thread, I would use WD-40 or mineral spirits now.