PDA

View Full Version : Best option for .44 mag?

UKFan37
03-25-2022, 11:08 AM
With current prices being what they are, what are my best options for a reasonable priced, reliable, "good" .44? I'd really like another JM but can not afford what people are asking for them. Henry "Skinner" is my current most likely candidate.

Bazoo
03-25-2022, 11:24 AM
The local pawn shop had a marlin 1894with scope in 44 last I heard. My buddy tried to get them down with no result.

smkummer
03-25-2022, 12:17 PM
I still have my mid-70’s Marlin 1894. In the early 80’s I had a B-92 44 mag. Browning. Didn’t like the kick from the metal curved metal butt plate and was only shooting full loads back then so sold it. That would have been easily fixed with a lace on leather butt pad. And, now of course I seldom shoot full power loads anymore. Just my .02 to not count out the Jap. Win 92.

FergusonTO35
03-25-2022, 12:58 PM
Henry all the way. Good products from a good company. The current Rossi rifles seem to do well but they aren't cheap anymore. Miroku Winchesters are well over a grand if you can even find one.

ABJ
03-25-2022, 03:47 PM
A buddy and myself just bought two Rossi 92, 24 inch. Shot them a little and took them to my cowboy smith for a little smoothing and trigger work. Paid 800 ish and another 100 to the smith. Smith said he was impressed at how well they were put together and fitted from the factory. Not at all like older ones he has seen. Same thing on the 357.
I shoot a lot of 44 spl. handguns and they feed and function fine in the Mag. Both guns will chamber .432 swc in mag brass crimped in the groove. The 24 inch oct. barrel is a heavy gun for off hand work. If I were to buy another new gun and it was offered by Rossi I would certainly do so. I would opt for the 20 inch round barrel if just plinking or hunting. I think Elk Ammo and Arms are still in the $800 range last time I checked.
Tony
Edit-just checked at Elk, only thing in stock in wood is a 16 inch for $799. If you are interested just keep watching their site they come and go pretty regular.

Shawlerbrook
03-25-2022, 05:36 PM
If $800-1000 is what you have for a new Rossi or Henry, I would bite the bullet for a JM or wait for a Ruger.

AnthonyB
03-26-2022, 02:43 AM
I love the Rossi 92s and made three very nice rifles with them back when they sold for under $600. For my purposes, they are better than the Browning 92 I always worry about scratching - no such concern with the Rossis. I like them better than the Henry because of their light weight, but would likely buy the Henry at current prices.
Tony

upr45
03-26-2022, 08:36 AM
The least expensive are the single shots. However everything has gone up in price. I do most of my upper deer hunting with a single shot .45 colt or a ss .44 mag. A .35 Rem Marlin gets to go a few times, i never put more than 2 in it, as it is accurate. Henry makes a very nice .44 single shot, but i am not sure what they go for $ wise.

Pereira
03-26-2022, 08:48 AM
The least expensive are the single shots. However everything has gone up in price. I do most of my upper deer hunting with a single shot .45 colt or a ss .44 mag. A .35 Rem Marlin gets to go a few times, i never put more than 2 in it, as it is accurate. Henry makes a very nice .44 single shot, but i am not sure what they go for $ wise.

The Henry SS's run around a grand when you can find them.
They are a little heavy at 7.14 lbs, myself unless I was looking to scope said rifle.
I'd pick the Rossi, I own 2 Rossis, and a pair of CF Henrys.

RP

onlybrowning
03-26-2022, 09:11 AM
I really like my Henry .44 with a Skinner peep but I don’t know that I’ll hunt with it much as I tend to be “belt and suspenders” guy wanting a good scoped rifle when I’m in a tree.

I see CVA makes a single shot .44 as well. The specs I’ve seen say 7lbs.

I have one of the CVA pistols in .243 and it is heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hickok
03-26-2022, 09:23 AM
I have 2 Henry Big Boy's, a .44 mag and a .357 Mag, and they are quality rifles. I did change the iron sights to Skinner's peep's and they are perfect.

The rear Marble's sight is not my preference, and the factory front sight bead is so big,.... it is would cover a hog's head @ 50 yards.

The Skinner peep sights with their front-post sight are perfect for my shooting.

pietro
03-26-2022, 02:00 PM
With current prices being what they are, what are my best options for a reasonable priced, reliable, "good" .44? I'd really like another JM but can not afford what people are asking for them. Henry "Skinner" is my current most likely candidate.

Welcome to the board

Please check your private messages - I ran across one F/S @ very inexpensive, cost

SoonerEd
03-26-2022, 08:29 PM
Ive got a Henry Big Boy and it's a nice rifle. Changed to Skinner peep sights and it shoots well with j words. I'm just starting to try and develop cast loads. Going to the range tomorrow to test some pressure / leading loads with a 240 gr GC and a 200 RFN plain base which I'm trying PB and with GC. Going to see if I can develop a load with Maxam CSB-1 using Universal data since I've got 8 lbs of it.

rondog
03-26-2022, 09:34 PM
Love my Rossi's! I have four, one in .45 Colt and three in .357mag.

The .45 -

The .357's -

And you wanna talk heavy? This 30" Cimarron '73 in .45C is HEAVY! But she's beautiful.

Randy Bohannon
03-27-2022, 07:22 AM
I had a Henry BB in .41 Mag, always wanted a rifle in .41 Mag. I couldn’t get rid of it fast enough. It couldn’t shoot better than my S&W 57’s at the same distances. The weight of the rifle is significant over Win/Miroku or the Italian guns I just can’t warm up to the Henry rifles,chunky,heavy are not qualities I desire in a lever gun. Still plenty of 94’s from Marlin and Winchester to go after for the same money.

MrWolf
03-27-2022, 08:09 AM
If you like your JM Marlins, then I would suggest at least holding a Henry. I have a few JM's including the 44 and TO ME there is no comparison. I do have two Henry's but they are in 22's, pump and lever both new. No comparison to my Marlin and not because they are new. Shawlerbrook gave you good advice. Good luck.

missionary5155
03-27-2022, 08:40 AM
Well we have a Henry 41. Bought it the first year it came out. Shoots very well ( better than our Marlin) and cycles every cast I have cast for it. Our Marlin CCL would only cycle RN !
Plus we have not done any lifter modifications, forearm work, hanger bracket, or chamfer the chamber mouth like the Marlin needed.
My first centerfire was a 336 in 32 Win Special and to me it was special. Worked great ! Shot fine. Was made about 1955.
But that 41 CCL was like the other end on the pendulum swing.

missionary5155
03-27-2022, 08:51 AM
For all its worth get a UGLY Rusty 44 Mag Rossi and rebarrel it to 41 Mag. You will end up with a real easy to carry, light and cheap 41 Mag carbine.

UKFan37
03-27-2022, 02:58 PM
Thanks for all the replies!
I have a Skinner Henry i'm watching on 'broker, if that doesn't work out i'll suck it up find a Marlin.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-27-2022, 03:13 PM
I would look for a new production Henry (post 2020), because that's when they switched to 1:20 twist barrels.
Older Henry's and all Marlins have 1:38 twist, most people find that the slow twist just doesn't cut it, especially with boolits heavier than 240gr.
That's my 2¢

Zingger
03-27-2022, 07:39 PM
My vote would be the Winchester. I had a newer Henry- terribly sloppy on the fore end. Ended up putting a piece of plastic between the magazine tube and the wood. Most of the Marlins are either fantastic, or the best single-shot jam/meant to be a repeater that ever was. The achille's heel of the Winchester 94 was the interrupter, mine needed some TIG work to get it workable so it wouldn't empty the entire tube on the first lever. But a first-class shooter with cast for sure. It was the legacy model, long barrel. The other one I had was a trapper model, it was neat but just not as lovable as my 30-30 with NO safety outside of the one between our ears. Be mindful of the micro-groove vs Ballard style rifling, and twist rate if you want to run the heavies. Good luck on your search!

It may be worth noting that Marlin is supposed to be making the 1894 again, one in an SBL setup would be sweet! But no definite completion time that I am aware of. Heck, the 1895 is still next to impossible to find, without sacrificing appendages for it.

T.R.
04-03-2022, 05:05 PM
CVA builds a quality single shot 44 MAG named the Scout model. It's made in Spain.

Gofaaast
04-04-2022, 08:37 PM
I just handled a new jap Winchester deluxe 92 case hardened 24” in 44 mag 26 twist I believe. It hasn’t been to the range yet but checked all the boxes for current manufacture except for the tang safety. They changed the butt plate this year so it doesn’t look quite right for a 92 but it’s definitely the Winchester look. Keith bullets sized .430 would not chamber crimped into the crimp groove.

missionary5155
04-04-2022, 09:09 PM
So far every jap rifle we have owned has tight chambers and groove diameters all near minimum.