PDA

View Full Version : Glitter powder coat ?

Wolfdog91
03-24-2022, 06:45 PM
Anyone know of a company that makes a glitter power coat that would work for cast bullets ?

Daver7
03-24-2022, 08:34 PM
I sure hope someone has something we could use.
The "pink Boolets" seem to have lost there shock affect on the Tactical Timmies.

Finster101
03-24-2022, 08:38 PM
Oh My! Planning on throwing a party?

44Blam
03-24-2022, 11:05 PM
There are a couple reasons not to do it...
1) Glitter.
2) The glitter may be harder metal that might damage your barrel or maybe it's not but why try it?

Get Smoke's Traffic Blue and be happy. (That one works GREAT -- see my avatar.)

Budzilla 19
03-25-2022, 07:05 AM
Dang it, Wolfdog, you done went and started a thang now!! Hahaha!! Seriously though, I don’t know if the powder coat shake and bake would be possible. Maybe shoot some glitter, overcoat with translucent from Eastwood, boy, talk about color combos! Or overcoat with clear, doggone it, Wolfdog, see whatcha started? Lol. On a serious note, if the glitter particles are not metal, it might work! But.......will they stay in their shape during baking time, or will they melt and distort? Do you want small glitter, like Christmas ornaments,or like Skeeter bass boat glitter, see the dilemma here? Go for it, I’m going to be watching this thread!

Bloodman14
03-25-2022, 07:05 AM
The glitter is usually Mylar flakes, which is plastic. Ever see the helium birthday balloons at Wal-Mart? Same stuff.

GregLaROCHE
03-25-2022, 09:12 AM
Not exactly the same thing, but I have often wondered if you could add some grit to the powder and use the boolits for fire lapping.

gwpercle
03-25-2022, 01:13 PM
I'm waiting for someone to invent " Flames " or "Pinstripes" ...
...us old gearheads would be all over that .
Gary

waksupi
03-25-2022, 01:17 PM
Hunting gay eskimos?

El Bibliotecario
03-25-2022, 01:34 PM
Used in conjunction with a bore-aligned flashlight, they could serve as a poor man's tracer bullet

7br
03-25-2022, 01:36 PM
Wonder if blaze orange would make it easier to spot in silhouette.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bangerjim
03-25-2022, 03:34 PM
Mica powder could be used as glitter. But real glitter will be much harder than PC and will act as sandpaper on your barrel! Many types of glitter are made of glass or copolymer plastics, aluminum foils, titanium dioxide, and iron oxides, most of which are abrasives.

There could be some weird powder out there, but why not stick to the basics that work and do not harm your guns!

banger

Wolfdog91
03-25-2022, 08:19 PM
Hunting gay eskimos?

Nah just irritating just mental people at the range lol. Also fun to out shoot Billy Bob the man's man who likes to brag with pink cast boolits....so what not with glitter lol !

Wolfdog91
03-25-2022, 08:20 PM
Mica powder could be used as glitter. But real glitter will be much harder than PC and will act as sandpaper on your barrel! Many types of glitter are made of glass or copolymer plastics, aluminum foils, titanium dioxide, and iron oxides, most of which are abrasives.

There could be some weird powder out there, but why not stick to the basics that work and do not harm your guns!

banger

What can I say I get bored pretty quickly lol, ADHD is a bear somtimes

Wolfdog91
03-25-2022, 08:21 PM
Not exactly the same thing, but I have often wondered if you could add some grit to the powder and use the boolits for fire lapping.

I know David tub has something that's a similar concept. Think the bullets are coated in different grits of some kinda Molly or something and you supposed to shoot them in a certain line up, it's supposed to really make guns shoot better

Wolfdog91
03-25-2022, 08:23 PM
There are a couple reasons not to do it...
1) Glitter.
2) The glitter may be harder metal that might damage your barrel or maybe it's not but why try it?

Get Smoke's Traffic Blue and be happy. (That one works GREAT -- see my avatar.)

Really ? Always figured it was just some kinda shiny plastic or something

Silvercreek Farmer
03-25-2022, 08:26 PM
Several here use aluminum gas checks, not sure if they experience accelerated barrel wear, or polishing as some call it…

44Blam
03-25-2022, 09:11 PM
I did have some reloads that had "fan fare". They were 12ga birdshot rounds that I couldn't quite get the right wad for so I added some cardboard rounds on top of the powder to get the column height right. When I would shoot one, the cardboard would get all blown to bits but not completely disintegrate so there were little bits of confetti coming down from each round. I didn't notice when testing them. I found out because I brought them to a tactical shotgun match... I was "Party Bob" for a while...

GregLaROCHE
03-26-2022, 01:25 AM
Really ? Always figured it was just some kinda shiny plastic or something

A lot of them are plastic, but many are types of metals.

waksupi
03-26-2022, 12:59 PM

Fire lapping is done at low velocity, so I wouldn't hot rod things.

36g
03-26-2022, 01:19 PM
How about something simple? Take a good beeswax based bullet lube, melt it, add glitter of choice (preferably plastic based), mix, and dip your bullets. Could be done on loaded rounds as well (bullets only). Let the lube harden and you are good to go.

FishHunter357
04-11-2022, 12:03 PM
I got some bullets from a newer local company called Slippery Bullets and they weren't quite glitter but speckled with what I assumed was mixed powder. Maybe high contrast colors would work. Or sprinkle a bright powder over them after shake coating. Now I'm picturing some robin egg round nose!

charlie b
04-14-2022, 10:08 AM
You can ask in the powder coat part of the forum.

IIRC the 'pearl' type paints had glass particles in them, either ground or microballoons. Years ago there was discussion about such paints wearing out spray nozzles. Modern stuff may be different. Some of the old 'metal flake' paints had small bits of aluminum in them. Not sure if they changed over the years to mylar or similar. Keep in mind that the 'silver' mylar is a base 'plastic' with a metal coating (very thin).

Squid Boy
04-16-2022, 01:23 PM
The old glitter material was mica and was used for the early irredecent pearls. Years ago most switched to a finely chopped polyester film for it. The problem is with coatings that are mostly inorganic oxides like titanium dioxide and iron oxide. These are the main componants in the pigments coloring the powder coating material as well. Very hard and abrasive stuff. Squid Boy

bangerjim
04-16-2022, 03:31 PM
What's wrong with plain olde silver lead???????????? Then PC it with a common color off the color wheel chart? We aren't running a technicolor razzle-dazzle beauty pageant here! [smilie=b:

That's all I do. All those "fancy dancy" pigments are ONLY for the human eye to behold, not go down the barrel of a gun at high speeds without doing harm to said barrel!!!!! They add absolutely nothing to performance, and probably actually distract from your projectile performance!

Most metallic pigments are EXTREMELY finely ground (dust) bronze/brass-based colorants. The greenies / owlies have caused the switch to mica in the past few years. I cannot even buy my favorite "Aztec gold" real metallic powder anymore. All is now mica. Not nearly as good.

Just stick with the primary colors and you will be just fine!

Rizzo
04-26-2022, 01:16 PM
Anyone know of a company that makes a glitter power coat that would work for cast bullets ?

I am just starting to cast some bass jig heads and I'm going to "Powder Paint" them. (Powder Coat).
I have seen some glitter powder paint available.
Do a search for glitter powder paint and you will find some sites that sell it.
Here is one:
https://www.lurepartsonline.com/Pro-Flake-Powder-Glitter-Coat-1-5oz
and...
Here is another site with pretty cool colors and what seems to be some that marbelize when applied.
https://www.csipaint.com/products/powder-coatings/pro-tec-powder-paint.php

bangerjim
04-26-2022, 01:43 PM
I am just starting to cast some bass jig heads and I'm going to "Powder Paint" them. (Powder Coat).
I have seen some glitter powder paint available.
Do a search for glitter powder paint and you will find some sites that sell it.
Here is one:
https://www.lurepartsonline.com/Pro-Flake-Powder-Glitter-Coat-1-5oz
and...
Here is another site with pretty cool colors and what seems to be some that marbelize when applied.
https://www.csipaint.com/products/powder-coatings/pro-tec-powder-paint.php

Painting pretty colors of glitter on fishing stuff is totally different than shooting it down the barrel of a gun at high velocities. Anything in the coating resin, other than standard finely ground pigments, can be a potential abrasive material, which we do NOT want.

User beware. :veryconfu Please just stick to the standard colors and forget the glitzy technicolor beauty pageant colors !!!!!!!

Wolfdog91
04-29-2022, 12:27 AM
What's wrong with plain olde silver lead???????????? Then PC it with a common color off the color wheel chart? We aren't running a technicolor razzle-dazzle beauty pageant here! [smilie=b:

That's all I do. All those "fancy dancy" pigments are ONLY for the human eye to behold, not go down the barrel of a gun at high speeds without doing harm to said barrel!!!!! They add absolutely nothing to performance, and probably actually distract from your projectile performance!

Most metallic pigments are EXTREMELY finely ground (dust) bronze/brass-based colorants. The greenies / owlies have caused the switch to mica in the past few years. I cannot even buy my favorite "Aztec gold" real metallic powder anymore. All is now mica. Not nearly as good.

Just stick with the primary colors and you will be just fine!

Nothing wrong I just want some glitter bullets, think I would be cool and fun , it's really that simple honestly

megasupermagnum
04-29-2022, 01:34 AM
I thought glitter was just little aluminum flakes. I don't think it is going to hurt a barrel. I'd mix some glitter in with clear powder coat. It might work fine that simple.

bangerjim
04-29-2022, 02:05 PM
I thought glitter was just little aluminum flakes. I don't think it is going to hurt a barrel. I'd mix some glitter in with clear powder coat. It might work fine that simple.

Glitter can be made of several things today. Some can be abrasive!

You need to be careful what you put on your boolits.