PDA

View Full Version : Anti-reflection Scope Caps

wch
03-24-2022, 03:48 PM
I was looking for scope caps to reduce or remove lens reflection but I don't want to pay the plus $30.00 prices for commercial types.
Has anyone got any "bright ideas" for DIY?

nicholst55
03-24-2022, 06:30 PM
At one time (before the ARD honeycomb lens cover), Army snipers were taught to tie a piece of spray-painted gauze over the objective lens of their scope, and then make a X-slit in it. This allows use of the scope but greatly reduces or eliminates glare from the lens.

Mk42gunner
03-24-2022, 06:49 PM
You might try a small piece of fiberglass screen in either a dark gray or black. Hold it on with a rubber band or put it under the scope cover.

Might work, might not. It should be close enough to the objective lens that you won't see it.

Robert

megasupermagnum
03-24-2022, 09:43 PM
Slit a toilet paper tube and tape it on. Don't laugh, it works, and I'll do it again if I have to.

gwpercle
03-25-2022, 12:11 PM
You might try a small piece of fiberglass screen in either a dark gray or black. Hold it on with a rubber band or put it under the scope cover.

Might work, might not. It should be close enough to the objective lens that you won't see it.

Robert

This sounds like a good idea ... if viewing through the black fiberglass screen is problematic , cut a small hole in the center of the screen to view through ... start with a 1/4" hole and see how that works ... leave enough screen around the perimeter in case you need to move the 1/4" hole up-down or left-right to center opening over your cross hairs . With that much screen any reflections will be drastically minimized . Might try screen on scope bell held with rubber bands on scope if putting screen insides scope cover doesn't pan out ... where ther's a will there's a way !

Good Idea MK42gunner !
Gary