PDA

View Full Version : 03 Springfield front sight base

fourclicks
03-23-2022, 02:34 PM
I am prepping my Springfield for a barrel replacement. Current barrel has a Lyman globe sight on it I want to remove it to use on my new military barrel. I got the lateral thru pin out and was trying to drive the sight forward but no luck, have not as yet tried a heat gun on the old sight. Just thought I might check in here to see if there is something I may have missed before going any further

Moleman-
03-23-2022, 03:29 PM
I've used a gear puller to break them free before. Find a tight fitting open end wrench to go around the barrel on the back side or cut a "U" into a piece of metal so it fits tight to the barrel there, a chunk of aluminum or brass to protect the muzzle and grip the sides of the wrench with the gear puller to break the sight base free. Once you get it moving it usually is easier to tap off. I'd double check that there isn't any trace of solder or loctite first though especially if it is a commercial base v/s a modified USGI base.

akajun
03-24-2022, 10:42 AM
Idk if there’s a dovetail on the globe but if there is check for a set screw as well
If not application of heat to break free any old oil or lock tight is fine

fourclicks
03-25-2022, 07:31 PM
Well I got the globe sight base off, it took repeated attempts at heating and soaking with Kroil oil but final victory came when I switched to a bigger hammer. I was using an 8oz ball peen and a piece of walnut hoping to finesse the part off. Finally switched to a framing hammer just knowing if I missed the walnut, the globe sight would be reduced to a twisted pile of junk. Got lucky this time.