PDA

View Full Version : For Thought and Meditation - Wednesday, March 23

Pine Baron
03-23-2022, 06:21 AM
Good morning all. This message describes a personal daily struggle for me. Have a safe and blessed day.

Wednesday, March 23, 2022 - Pastor Greg Laurie
A Powerful Witness to a Lost World

"Fools vent their anger, but the wise quietly hold it back."
—Proverbs 29:11

The coronavirus combined with the economy and the politics of the day has created almost a perfect storm of anger for many people.

I have no doubt that social media feeds this frenzy. People spend too much time looking at their phones and tablets and following their favorite websites, which further inflames them.

We know that people are uptight. We know that people lose their tempers. But if you’re a Christian, then you should be different. Christians should not get caught up in the anger that so many people are expressing today.

In fact, the Bible says that the person who loses his temper is a fool (see Proverbs 29:11). It also tells us that as followers of Christ, we are to love others and make every effort to be at peace with them.

Jesus said, “Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples” (John 13:35 NKJV).

As believers, we need to show love and forgiveness. And if we don’t, we will grieve the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is God. Therefore, it’s possible for us to lie to the Holy Spirit, resist the Holy Spirit, insult the Holy Spirit, and yes, even grieve the Holy Spirit.

The apostle Paul wrote to the believers in Ephesus, “And do not bring sorrow to God’s Holy Spirit by the way you live. . . . Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior” (Ephesians 4:30–31 NLT).

When Christians love one another, it’s a powerful witness to a lost world. On the other hand, when Christians fight with one another, it’s a poor witness to a lost world.

If you’re truly a godly person, then you will be humble and loving—not someone who’s filled with anger and rage.

Wayne Smith
03-23-2022, 07:47 AM
Frustration is the immediate, hot, and highly emotional expression of my not getting my way right now- yes, it is a two-year-old temper tantrum all grown up - and I did it yesterday! Bitterness, rage, and slander is a settled need to even the score, to make things more the way I want them. But - "Vengeance is mine, saith the Lord" - yes, that is sin, it is taking on myself what is God's.
Frustration is often based on perceived need - but then I'm relying on myself rather than on God to fulfill my needs.

God settles scores for me, and does it perfectly and completely, much better than I can. I am responsible for growing myself up, although the Holy Spirit is a major help in that process.

ioon44
03-23-2022, 08:17 AM
Really good message, right to the point. This message describes a personal daily struggle for me also.

USMC87
03-23-2022, 08:52 AM
Amen, we all have this same struggle to pray about.

Markopolo
03-23-2022, 08:57 AM
Great devotional.

dverna
03-23-2022, 11:32 AM
I will likely never reach that level of "love". I am not wired that way. I cannot love people who want to destroy my country. I despise and feel hatred towards most of our politicians. There is nothing I have seen in Biden, Harris, Pelosi, McConnell, and on and on and on...that I can love. God loves them, I cannot.

I am told to love my enemy. I am to love the person who kills my son or granddaughter. NO! It will not happen. I want to be the instrument of their death.

Did David need to kill Goliath after David had stunned Goliath with the stone? Cutting off his right hand would have accomplished the same result without death. Was killing Goliath the "Christian" thing to do? Yes, I know Christ had not been born yet, but you get my drift.

Ickisrulz
03-23-2022, 01:24 PM
I will likely never reach that level of "love". I am not wired that way. I cannot love people who want to destroy my country. I despise and feel hatred towards most of our politicians. There is nothing I have seen in Biden, Harris, Pelosi, McConnell, and on and on and on...that I can love. God loves them, I cannot.

I am told to love my enemy. I am to love the person who kills my son or granddaughter. NO! It will not happen. I want to be the instrument of their death.

Did David need to kill Goliath after David had stunned Goliath with the stone? Cutting off his right hand would have accomplished the same result without death. Was killing Goliath the "Christian" thing to do? Yes, I know Christ had not been born yet, but you get my drift.

I love your responses to these posts. Not because I agree with them all, but because you refuse to be dishonest. You are like the disciple Thomas who refused to profess beliefs he did not have.

I can't help but think when the original post was written the author had minor quarrels among church members in mind and perhaps disagreements in the market place or between property neighbors. I doubt he was thinking what we should do if someone murders our family member. That is certainly worst case and I wonder how many would display a Christlike attitude despite what they might think they'd do before it happened. That's a tough one.

As always, it's important to remember that biblical love is action rather than emotions. We can despise a person, but still do what is best for them.

augercreek
03-24-2022, 06:34 AM
It's easy for me to say what I am to do ,but what I do when it comes time to do it. Will I be strong of will or weak kneed ?

Wayne Smith
03-24-2022, 07:36 AM
This is the Proverbs passage - and it says nothing about love. It is all about restraint. Jesus did tell us to 'love your enemies and do good to those who despise you' - but that is not this passage.

Ickisrulz
03-24-2022, 08:29 AM
This is the Proverbs passage - and it says nothing about love. It is all about restraint. Jesus did tell us to 'love your enemies and do good to those who despise you' - but that is not this passage.

Wouldn't you agree that exercising self control is a part of loving your neighbor? It seems that the original author of yesterday's message did.

Some see Gal 5:22/23 as "The fruit of the Spirit is love: joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control...