PDA

View Full Version : Double rifles

jim4065
01-21-2009, 07:56 PM
I had one of these some years back and strongly recommend that you shoot the patched round ball instead of the "Maxi-Ball" or other similar designs. Firing the first barrel will move the Maxi-Ball in the second barrel toward the muzzle a couple of inches (sometimes) because of the recoil. This creates an unsafe condition where the ball is away from the powder - and will result in a "ringed" barrel. If you will sight down the length of the barrels along the top these rings will be visible. Ask how I know this will happen? :oops: You need to either re-seat the charge in the second barrel (which I usually did) or switch to a tightly fitting patched round ball.

This one may shoot to the same point of aim - mine was off by four inches at 50 yards. Swapped it to my brother for a case of GOEX FFg - and yes, I showed him the rings. Still - where else can you get a double rifle for that kind of money? :mrgreen:

waksupi
01-21-2009, 10:14 PM
I thought I would move this over here, as it was being talked about a bit on the BST forum.

As I recall, John Baird was sued for taking the old Kodiak rifles to task. I don't recall if it was because of accuracy, the possibility of the projectiles moving forward, or some other issue. Any of you old timers remember the details? I guess it may be time to dig out the old Buckskin Reports again!

madcaster
01-22-2009, 12:29 AM
Ric,
I think that it was several importers as well,safety issues being the main concern if I remember correctly.
I spoke with John Baird once on the phone and thanked him for protecting us shooters that did not know any better,He acted like it was nothing.The man lost a LOT to keep us from getting hurt!
He had sent me a picture of his biplane he was building,pretty neat.
Sure do miss the Buckskin Report,have a bunch though!:bigsmyl2:

waksupi
01-22-2009, 01:45 AM
He was a busy guy. Every time I went into his office, he had his feet up on the desk, taking a nap!

Boz330
01-22-2009, 11:17 AM
He was a busy guy. Every time I went into his office, he had his feet up on the desk, taking a nap!

Probably those power naps they talk about that the high powered executives take. In fact I might need one of those right now, sure ain't much work rollin through the door. Of course you know what's going to happen, as soon as the weather gets nice enough to do something else the you know what, hits the slinger.

Bob