PDA

View Full Version : Gardeners, what would you pay for

Wolfdog91
03-22-2022, 11:27 PM
So looking at fabing some stuff up to make some extra pennies and since it's getting close to gardening time I figured might as well try and make some gardening related stuff. Was thinking just basically stuff like tomato cages but make them really sturdy possibly out of cattle pannel 3/8 rebar or 1/4 " cold roll. Made some for a lady one time and she absolutely loved them aside from the weight . Also got a n ide for a collapse able one too that would fold flat for storage.Also found a cheap source for food grade plastic barrels so was thinking mabye make some kinda raised bed deal ? But wanted to know what's something yall would like to see. Being made or made better and wouldn't mind paying some half decent money for ? Not out here trying to get rich just trying to give my self an excuse to be a little creative and build more stuff [emoji23]

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

GregLaROCHE
03-23-2022, 12:27 AM
Raised beds have become very popular and everyone I know who has them are glad they do. I plow my garden with a tractor, so raised beds won’t work well for me.

My father had the tomato cages back when they first started becoming popular and they worked well for him. I was always planning to make some and thought of using the wire grids that are designed to strengthen concrete pads. I have goats so I was doing a lot of fencing with rolls of grid type fencing. I didn’t have time to build the cages, so I ran around twenty feet of this fencing in my garden and planted tomatoes along it. As the plants grew I would weave the new growth back and forth through the grid and sometimes tying with string. It worked so well I’ve kept doing it that way. The advantage I see is easy access to the plants on each side. I start the fence 18” above the ground and when the plants get to the top (around five feet) I snip off the top buds to keep them from growing any more. It works well for other vegetables like beans, cucumbers etc. too. I make sure to use big heavy duty stakes and sometimes run a line from the top of the fence to ninety degrees of the fence to stabilize, it from wind when the tomatoes start to put a lot of weight on it. In the fall I pull up the stakes with the fence still attached to it and roll it up for the next year.

If you are leaning towards organic gardening, composing can give you a lot of the nutrients needed, but lacks phosphore an important nutrient. One way you can get it and other minerals naturally is from animal bones. Don’t give all of your bones to your dog. Instead burn them in a wood stove so the phosphore can get into the soil immediately. Add the wood ashes(not from treated wood) and burnt bone ashes to your garden soil.

Gewehr-Guy
03-23-2022, 07:07 AM
Tomato cages that fold flat and made of 5/16 rod would be nice. I need to push them into the ground deep, or they will tip over in our 40 mph winds. Those flimsy wire one are pure crap.

rancher1913
03-23-2022, 07:32 AM
cut the barrel in half long ways and add legs to get the bed up to waist height, older people love them because they dont have to bend over, maybe a hinged top covered in clear plastic for a hot house type raised bed.

Wayne Smith
03-23-2022, 07:39 AM
You are gonna have to look very hard at shipping costs. Tomato cages are a perennial need and new ideas are always welcome. We tend to grow indeterminate tomatoes so they are way too short. Think six to eight feet tall - and then you need to think about weight. If you are gonna use barrels for raised beds you need to plan drainage. One tropical storm - or even a flooding rain, and they are full.

Gator 45/70
03-23-2022, 09:10 AM
Better already have something in the ground, We planted potatoes, Pole beans, snap beans along with sugar beans.
The wife planted 3 tomato plants in the ground, I prefer 10 gallon pots for potatoes. Easier to keep the red ants out.

375RUGER
03-23-2022, 09:21 AM
You don't need heavy wire for maters. 10ga is fine. Concrete remesh wire rolls make cages that last forever.

farmerjim
03-23-2022, 10:31 AM
If you are going to grow more than a few tomatoes, peppers or eggplants, use the Florida weave method to trellis them. (google Florida Weave) I have used it for 20 years.

Plate plinker
03-23-2022, 11:07 AM
I like cattle panels or hog panels for my tomato. Rebar works but it gets awful heavy and that rust. My Prefered method is the stock panels attached to a 4x4 sunk into the ground and then I train the plant as it grows. Trim off excess vegetation to keep fruit coming on and easily harvested.

waksupi
03-23-2022, 01:04 PM
I'm cheap. I drove some posts at the ends, and used old binder twine to make a trellis. A post every 7-8 feet will do it. Look into square foot gardening, if you haven't already.