PDA

View Full Version : Question about Lee custom

BCall
01-21-2009, 09:38 PM
How come on Lee's website(and I have heard it mentioned here) they say they will not cut a custom mold below .277, but they make the Bator mold for MidSouth, right? Am I missing something? Why do it for them and no one else? Thanks, Billy

RobS
01-21-2009, 10:48 PM
I don't think Lee will do this for MidSouth anymore as I checked on the 45BD mold and they said that lee is not doing this for them any longer. It maybe a matter of lee's setup etc. with the smaller diameter bullets as well, but I would not say I am right on this either. Good question though and I'm sure there is not a single answer that makes much sense. Go figure.

Buckshot
01-22-2009, 03:32 AM
...........Heck the Bator originated here as a group buy before it was offered to Mid-South to carry. Also either early last year , or the year before another 22 cal GB was started here and Lee refused to do it.

Due to a period of poor group buy mould results (not just here) I believe Lee was generating lots of scrap, and some bad feelings to boot. Lee bought some new equpment, but also lengthend the completion time for GB's, in an attempt to get it rigth the first time. Their refusal to do 22 cals is defensive on their part. Playing safe, as a .223" hole is a fearsomely small one to be working in with drive bands, GC shanks, crimp grooves and ogives.

...............Buckshot

Willbird
01-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Also the smaller a bullet gets the harder it is to get the mold to run properly IMHO. A 6 cavity .224 mold might require external heat to run properly, IE sit it on a hotplate and cast at a slower cadence.

Bill

BCall
01-22-2009, 07:22 PM
I don't think Lee will do this for MidSouth anymore as I checked on the 45BD mold and they said that lee is not doing this for them any longer. It maybe a matter of lee's setup etc. with the smaller diameter bullets as well, but I would not say I am right on this either. Good question though and I'm sure there is not a single answer that makes much sense. Go figure.

I sure hope they're still making them. Midsouth still has it for backorder, and I have had mine on backorder for awhile. If they can't get them, I wish they would cancel it on the website. Thanks, billy

mainiac
01-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Hoorah, that means my 22 bator will be worth millions on e-bay! HA! I can retire early now,and shoot and fish all the time! I just slapped myself in the face,,,, and im alright now.