PDA

View Full Version : Springfield SA-35/Hi-Power

curioushooter
03-22-2022, 01:41 PM
Anybody get one of these yet? Thoughts? Seem pretty neat and reasonably priced.

MT Gianni
03-22-2022, 01:48 PM
From what I have seen on line and heard from others selling price is about 2x listed retail.

shooting on a shoestring
03-23-2022, 06:43 AM
Yes.
I got an early one and did a thread on here comparing it to my Browning Hi Power.
Upshot is the barrel to slide fit at the muzzle of mine was VERY loose.
For a defensive gun, probably doesn’t matter but it bugs me.

FergusonTO35
03-23-2022, 08:22 AM
It's in my plans, not gonna happen soon though.

ohen cepel
03-23-2022, 08:32 AM
Read in a gun magazine (take that for what it is worth) that they are 80% Tisas imported and finished here so SA can stamp their name on it. Springfield has been shady in my mind since they started so I will pass on this one unless I find it for the price of the Turkish gun which I think it is.

The Tisas story makes sense to me given how quick SA got onto this project as well as the timing with Tisas coming out with their version.

curioushooter
03-29-2022, 01:43 PM
What gun magazine was this?

I called Springfield and asked them, "I know these are advertised as made in USA, which I assume means assembled in here...where are the forgings for the slide and frame produced?"

Lady at Springfield customer service: "the forgings for the slide and frame are both also produced in the USA by a manufacturer we are not allowed to disclose."

Me: "so some of the parts are imported?"

Lady: "yes, but not the slides for frames, and many of the small parts are made in the USA as well." (I neglected to ask who made the barrel).

I had trouble believing this, so I called back about a week later and asked to speak to a technical person, had to leave a number to call me back.

He called back and said that "Springfield has not used any imported frames or slides on any of our 1911s in at least 5 years and the SA-35 uses forgings produced in the USA."

So either Springfield is lying, or this unidentified gun rag is.

Looking at the Turkish produced Hi-Powers clearly the frame is not shaped the same way. There are significant differences in how the SA-35 frame is shaped, particularly at the rear of the frame, that are evident from photos.

curioushooter
03-29-2022, 01:51 PM
"Upshot is the barrel to slide fit at the muzzle of mine was VERY loose."

This is indeed disappointing. I want one of these pretty badly, as a proper Hi-Power has never been made domestically to my knowledge. My father carried a Belgain produced Hi-Power rather than a "rattle trap forty-five" as he called them. And they have always been a neater, lighter pistol than the 1911. But the mag disconnect, poor ergonomics with safety and hammer bite, and high prices of quality models kept me away. I was once tempted to get a FEG (which are hungarian if I recally) but declined. I have a CZ75 presently, and she's a bit overwheight, and I always carry cocked/locked anyway.

My hope is that that Sprinfield will introduce a stainless or parkerized model.

376Steyr
03-29-2022, 11:56 PM
I measured the barrel/slide fit on one that I assume is from the latest production run. Barrel outside diameter is 0.499 inch and slide opening at the muzzle is 0.508 inch. The trigger pull is nothing to write home about either; the pull weight is fine, but it has three distinct stages before it finally gives a crisp break. I must admit, it does feel good in my hand.

36g
03-30-2022, 10:14 AM
Another alternative is a FEG P9R (or Israeli Kareen). They can be found on the used market. Thus far, all parts have been interchangeable with my Browning and Argentine HPs.

HarryT
04-02-2022, 03:01 PM
I got my SA-35 about a month ago. It's the least accurate pistol I have ever owned. At 25 yards, it will put six to eight bullets in a three inch pattern and the rest will hit five to eight inches away.

missionary5155
04-02-2022, 04:13 PM
Years ago we bought a Springfield P-9 as it is a .40 SW. Was an ILL-ois state police trial pistol. There were 5 that came in and I got to pick. 2 mags and hardly a scuff. Still have it. As close to a P-35 as we have come.

HWooldridge
04-02-2022, 04:53 PM
I got my SA-35 about a month ago. It's the least accurate pistol I have ever owned. At 25 yards, it will put six to eight bullets in a three inch pattern and the rest will hit five to eight inches away.

I had a Belgian Hi-Power that was nice to carry and had a decent trigger but it shot 3-4” groups at 25 yds. I got rid of it because my 1911 yielded 2” groups at the same distance. The SA-35 looks pretty cool but I don’t need another 9mm shotgun.

Hickok
04-05-2022, 08:57 AM
I couldn't find a SA-35 anywhere for a price that was anywhere near retail, so after researching the Browning HP/Sa-35 "platform", I found a lot of info on the CZ-75 pistol.

Bought a new CZ-75B and I am very happy! Great price, easy to find. I like the way the CZ-75B fits in my hand,.... just feels "natural."

(Along the way, in my search for a CZ-75, I found a used, like-new, CZ Shadow 2. The dealer offered me a "deal I couldn't refuse..", and I bought it also.):guntootsmiley:

Alstep
04-05-2022, 10:14 AM
Similar story here, Mr Hickok. A few years ago, I was ready to buy an original Hipower, but the seller backed out. So I bought a CZ-75B instead. Glad it worked out that way. Great gun at almost half the price. Not a bit sorry.

36g
04-05-2022, 10:19 AM
I agree that a CZ-75 is hard to beat. HP's have a classic look and feel, but so does the CZ. The palm swell grips do add a nice feel in the hand. The option of a compact model is a plus.

Ia.redneck
04-05-2022, 11:31 PM
I have both, a Browning HI Power and a CZ75. The CZ is noticeably more accurate than the Browning at 25yds.

376Steyr
04-06-2022, 02:50 AM
I went to the local shooting spot (old gravel pit, not a range) and ran four magazines of factory jacketed through the new SA-35.
Too cold and windy to put up a target stand and paper. Paced off 25 yards and dropped a steel 3 lb. coffee can onto the ground. Went back to the truck, braced my forearms over the bed side, and looked for the can. Finally spotted where it had rolled to, with the shiny bottom still facing me (did I mention that the wind was blowing?) and sent six 115 gr. JHPs downrange. The can did not move.
Annoyed, and wondering how far off the sights were, I walked over to inspect it, and found a nice 3-inch group punched into the bottom of the can. Went back to the truck, found the setting sun was now in my eyes, and proceeded to blast away with the rest of the 15-round magazine and then three more 13-rounders. Occasionally, the can would bounce. When I was done, I was quite cold and the can was quite riddled.
Now, this is certainly not an exhaustive test, but I take great comfort in knowing my new pistol has, at the very least, service pistol accuracy.

MGD
04-13-2022, 01:36 PM
I have been able to shoot one of the SA35 several times. The gun my friend bought was in the first thousand by serial number. With factory and reloads it has consistently been very accurate. If this gun would have been available on the market in 1970, the 1911 would be a footnote in firearms history. It has not jammed with any loads. We are at about 2 thousand rounds through it so far. He got it for retail and it was a heck of a bargain.

GOPHER SLAYER
04-13-2022, 01:59 PM
Two Hi Powers have passed thru my hands. I hate to tell you what I sold them for. The grip did not fit my hand. I have small hands and the double stack mag made the grip too wide, at least for me. I didn't shoot them enough to know how accurate they were.

Horseman
07-13-2023, 11:17 AM
Old thread, but thought I'd weigh in since my long awaited SA-35 finally arrived at my dealer. I am very pleased with the look and feel of the gun and while the trigger did not make me say "Wow!", I do find it to be very acceptable. My tests have been very limited - only 3 mags of my Accurate 35-135A over 3.5 grns Titegroup fired at steel plates. Accuracy, like the trigger pull, seemed acceptable but my disappointment set in when I went to clean it. Lots of lead that came out in tiny slivers on a tight patch. I have used this same load in at least 6 different 9mm's, including a Springfield XDS 3.3 and have had zero leading in any of them. Given we're on castboolits, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has experienced this with their SA-35's? My alloy is WW+2% tin with White Label BAC. Would a few hundred rounds of FMJ possibly help? I feel like a traitor shooting FMJ but at least it's available and prices have moderated now.

TD1886
07-13-2023, 11:54 AM
I measured the barrel/slide fit on one that I assume is from the latest production run. Barrel outside diameter is 0.499 inch and slide opening at the muzzle is 0.508 inch. The trigger pull is nothing to write home about either; the pull weight is fine, but it has three distinct stages before it finally gives a crisp break. I must admit, it does feel good in my hand.

One of the best things to do on a Browning Hi Power to improve the trigger is get rid of the stupid magazine disconnect. Yeah yeah legal crap incase you end up in court, but would be it now that the Springfield Browning does have that feature?

TD1886
07-13-2023, 11:58 AM
I'm hearing a lot of Brownings not shooting so great. That certainly isn't the case of my Belgium made Browning. I'll put it up against any CZ for accuracy. I'm not going dare tell you how mine shoots, both cast and jacket. I also have the 30 Luger barrel for mine.

As for forgings, and industry insight, there are but a few companies that make them.