PDA

View Full Version : Carlson's Shell Catcher

roysha
03-22-2022, 12:39 PM
Does anyone here have personal experience with this item? If so, what are your thoughts?

It claims to work for both 12 and 20 gauges. I'm primarily interested in the 20 gauge adaption. This is for a Beretta A400. The 12 gauge can use the T&S catcher but the 20 gauge cannot.

W.R.Buchanan
03-23-2022, 03:52 AM
Maybe a Picture?

Randy

missionary5155
03-23-2022, 12:55 PM
Maybe this will not help you but we needed a brass catcher for our Winchester Model 10 self loading rifle. It is a simple blow back 40 caliber rifle 1910 vintage that tosses brass far and hard enough to hurt by standers.
None are made for it but with a little adapting a AR-15 catcher was adapted by just adding a piece of 12 gauge copper insulated wire. Since then no more searching or loosing brass.
I would think some production catcher is made for a similar type or shaped 20 gauge.

missionary5155
03-23-2022, 01:05 PM
Well I was thinking of the bag type....
But looking at what was listed at the e place I would think positioning it so the brass has to "get caught" would not be hard.

roysha
03-23-2022, 02:00 PM
This is double face taped to the side of the receiver. The YouTube videos seem to show it works OK but all I've found so far is for the 12 gauge.

The bag type is quite awkward to use with an auto loader.

Mk42gunner
03-23-2022, 07:29 PM
Id go to a trap shoot and ask what they like. Of course it will mainly apply to 12 gauge, but it would give you some ideas as to which brand to avoid.

Robert

roysha
03-24-2022, 11:27 AM
It's not a matter of avoiding any particular brand, it's a matter of FINDING ANYTHING that will work for the small gauges, besides a big rubber band which I refuse to use. I have one that works beautifully for the 12 gauge. The problem lies in the fact that there is no clearance on the small gauges, practically speaking, between the cocking handle and the bottom of the ejection port opening, so the plastic ones, like the T&S, can't be used.

I think I have found something that may work, but I have to decide if I want to D&T the receiver since that is how it is attached.

TNsailorman
03-24-2022, 06:07 PM
I shot both trap and skeet on the local level for several years. In the about 14 years I shot trap I saw only one of those shell catchers and it was on a trap line. I don't know the brand name but it was fitted into the ejection port of a Remington 1100 Trap gun. The best I remember it did quite well as the shooter only had to take hold of the fired shell and push it forward to release it from the catcher. , which was a 2 pronged flat metal piece. my memory anyway. james

Scorpion8
03-24-2022, 06:14 PM
I have it on a new-to-me used Remington 1100, and it works fine. I was amazed that I basically slapped it on there, as the installation guidance is very limited. It worked first-time-every-time and have shot 2 rounds of trap with it. It's not my normal trap shotgun, but I wanted to try a semi-auto.