PDA

View Full Version : Dacron filler?

mto7464
01-21-2009, 09:21 PM
How do you put the dacron wad in the case after it is cut into squares? Roll it and slip it in or use a rod to push it inside, or does it matter?

This is the same stuff you get from Wal-mart that says polyester right? I think dacron is a trade name.

35remington
01-21-2009, 10:08 PM
100 percent polyester fiberfill.

You push it in the case mouth with a standard screwdriver. Take up all the space between powder and bullet. Depending upon load and case size, weight should be from .2 to 1.0 grains, at least in what I'm shooting.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/johnnyrem/DSC01771.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/johnnyrem/DSC01772.jpg

Helpful at all?

jhrosier
01-21-2009, 11:19 PM
I cut a square piece that is about as big a a US quarter from a sheet about 5/8" thick.
I lay the square piece with the edge just covering the top of the neck and stuff it in with a 1/8" allen wrench.
It expands in the case and I just give it a little poke to get it touching the powder.
The right sized piece will extend from the top of the powder to the bottom of the boolit without much compression.
I've been experimenting a bit with a fluffed up piece of a cotton ball in place of the dacron but have not reached a conclusion whether it is any better. The cotton might start a fire but it is safe where I shoot . I have shot a hundred or so this way and not seen any instance of the cotton burning or smoking yet.

Jack

JW6108
01-22-2009, 12:32 AM
100 percent polyester fiberfill.

You push it in the case mouth with a standard screwdriver. Take up all the space between powder and bullet. Depending upon load and case size, weight should be from .2 to 1.0 grains, at least in what I'm shooting.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/johnnyrem/DSC01771.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/johnnyrem/DSC01772.jpg

Helpful at all?

35R hit it on the head.

A larger case will require a good bit. I've been using about 3 grains in some .30-06 and 8mm Mauser loads lately with 10.0 grains AA#5 and Lee .30 160 grain and 8mm 175 grain bullet. I don't have the chronograph results on the .30-06 at hand, but the 8mm loads from my Turkish Mauser are averaging 1292 fps and are good for 2.5" groups at 60 yards. (My eyesight is probably the biggest problem here). There is virtually no residue left in the barrel and very little, if any, is seen when fired. I also am careful to store and transport these loads base down at all times. The polyfill is much better than the old Kapok from life preservers.

35remington
01-22-2009, 12:47 AM
My dacron'd 25-20's go hunting. They get jostled around some.

No problems so far.

shotman
01-22-2009, 02:19 AM
what is the difference in group sizes? with and without the filler

jameslovesjammie
01-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Does the polyester smoke or melt a little when shot?

Calamity Jake
01-22-2009, 09:33 AM
My dacron'd 25-20's go hunting. They get jostled around some.

No problems so far.

So please explain to me why you need a filler in a 25-20 case.

jonk
01-22-2009, 09:54 AM
For the loose stuff, I roll it between my hands a bit to form a more easily inserted wad, then shove it in with a nail head. For 06 and 8mm loads I usually need something around 2 grains in my experience. Never used the squares but the nail head would still do I think.

35remington
01-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Why use dacron in a 25-20? Due to velocity swings in the 25-20 when using powders that fill only part of the case. It happens with little cases too and is particularly noticeable in a tip barrel single shot, as I have.

Try 2400 or 4227 powder forward and powder rearward with a 85 grain plainbase bullet in loads that get around 1300 f/s. Then you won't need to ask the question.

Depending upon the load using dacron and the volume of dacron used, it may not be easily found after firing or disperse when shot, result in slight fusing of the polyester, or come out a dirty gray and unchanged...except the long fibers are broken into shorter strands.

briang
01-22-2009, 09:53 PM
I cut a square piece that is about as big a a US quarter from a sheet about 5/8" thick.
I lay the square piece with the edge just covering the top of the neck and stuff it in with a 1/8" allen wrench.
It expands in the case and I just give it a little poke to get it touching the powder.
The right sized piece will extend from the top of the powder to the bottom of the boolit without much compression.
I've been experimenting a bit with a fluffed up piece of a cotton ball in place of the dacron but have not reached a conclusion whether it is any better. The cotton might start a fire but it is safe where I shoot . I have shot a hundred or so this way and not seen any instance of the cotton burning or smoking yet.

Jack

Just an FYI, a friend of mine tried using a cotton ball in place pf a fiber wad in a shotgun and it did catch fire. He almost got thrown out of the range for it.