PDA

View Full Version : What ya got Planned? 2022

Thundarstick
03-21-2022, 04:53 PM
It's spring!

I'm surprised someone from further south hasn't already started a thread for 2022.

Poc choi, onions, broccoli, cabbages all doing great! The fruit trees are blooming, and I mowed the grass for the first time yesterday.

Thumbcocker
03-21-2022, 06:17 PM
Hope to get more pears and apples this year, the trees are just hitting their stride. Lots of bloom buds on the paw paws in the yard. Last year we got a few chestnuts as the trees ate still young yet.

Still have winter wheat on the garden plots but will be planting green beans, cantaloupe, and sweet taters for sure. Plenty of space for other stuff.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rancher1913
03-21-2022, 07:57 PM
way to cold out for gardening but we got over 500 peppers and over 500 tomatoes started, about 1/5 will go in our garden and the rest we will sell. the grow lights make the mud room really bright and the wood stove keeps the plants good and warm, the peppers are thriving and about 2 months old, the tomatoes we just transplanted and are about a month old.

T-Bird
03-22-2022, 09:20 AM
tomatos, thai and sweet basil, gonna plant bell pepper. That's it so far

Shawlerbrook
03-22-2022, 09:22 AM
Here at 1700’ in Central NYS, we are still 2 months away from last frost( and snow).

jdfoxinc
03-22-2022, 09:37 AM
Snowed in Denver yesterday.

Scrounge
03-22-2022, 09:47 AM
The way costs are going for groceries, I'm considering spicing up some Alpo!

Found a packet of thyme seeds while cleaning out my workshop. I may just plant it!

Bill

Bmi48219
03-22-2022, 09:55 AM
Wonder if this recipe will work with Habaneros? The wife brought home a small plant last spring. It’s flowering again, for the third time.

sharps4590
03-22-2022, 10:04 AM
We usually have a wide assortment of garden crops and I expect this year will be no different. We hit a warm, dry spell and I got the garden tilled and planted lettuce, mustard, spinach, carrots, beets and radishes. Tomato's and peppers are well started and doing fine in the basement. Sweet corn, cabbage, broccoli, cantaloupe, watermelon, green beans and Joyce's usual assortment of herbs and spices should round it out. Then come fall, turnips and maybe another round of beans.

MaryB
03-22-2022, 12:53 PM
At least 6 weeks from getting anything in the garden, and that will be the cold weather plants, tomatoes/peppers don't go in until Memorial Weekend... and even then I risk frost damage. Snowing right now as I type...

Wayne Smith
03-24-2022, 10:11 AM
Blueberries are blooming and bees are all over them. Pok Choy, spinach, lettuce and radishes already in the ground. Still a little early for the Tomatoes - we buy them started, along with the eggplant because we don't need a pack of seeds.
I got the garden tilled early this month - it's not big. Have bean seeds to put in early next month.

gwpercle
03-31-2022, 01:11 PM
Don't actually plant anything untill Good Friday . This morning it's 40 something , a cold front blew threw and tiny plants don't like the cold . Dad claimed early cold will stunt a Tomayo's ability to produce a good crop .
But wife came home with two small tomato plants , a customer grew them from seeds and gave her to try out .
So we going to plant a few tomatoes , gypsey peppers , red okra & green bush okra ( I have saved seeds) and usually on the Saturday after Good Friday we go to a couple local nurseries , walk up and down the many rows of garden seedlings and buy far too many different plants ... they usually have more varieties of garden crops to plant ... beans , melons , peppers ... we allways buy too many and don't have any place to plant them in our small back yard garden ...
Every year I say I'm only going to buy a couple of plants ... and every year I buy way too many .
C'est La Vie' ... why should this year be any different !
Gary

Baltimoreed
03-31-2022, 01:19 PM
Oh, you’re talking about gardening. I was thinking 2022 gun builds, working on my property, fixing a TJ, gutting an Airstream. You know, bigger stuff. My dil will grow the maters and such.

Budzilla 19
03-31-2022, 03:54 PM
Potatoes already out the top of the big buckets, cucumbers about 6” tall, zucchini plants, squash plants, egg plants, tomato plants, bell pepper plants all doing good in a raised bed garden set-up!
Okra seeds sprouted out, cantaloupes about 2” tall, ready for transplant, fig tree in full leaf, blueberry bushes are loaded, blackberries are budding out, spring has busted out around here in SW Louisiana!!

GregLaROCHE
04-02-2022, 01:11 AM
way to cold out for gardening but we got over 500 peppers and over 500 tomatoes started, about 1/5 will go in our garden and the rest we will sell. the grow lights make the mud room really bright and the wood stove keeps the plants good and warm, the peppers are thriving and about 2 months old, the tomatoes we just transplanted and are about a month old.

Maybe you’ve done this a lot and are an expert, but the couple of times I tried it, I didn’t have good results. Everything grew really well in the house, but when I moved the plants out, most didn’t make it. I tried bringing plants in at night, but that didn’t seem to help. I read later that having a small fan blowing on the plants when they were starting, would make the stems stronger.

Just got six inches of snow last night. Planting outside is still a month away.

hawkenhunter50
04-02-2022, 03:34 AM
Maybe you’ve done this a lot and are an expert, but the couple of times I tried it, I didn’t have good results. Everything grew really well in the house, but when I moved the plants out, most didn’t make it. I tried bringing plants in at night, but that didn’t seem to help. I read later that having a small fan blowing on the plants when they were starting, would make the stems stronger.

Just got six inches of snow last night. Planting outside is still a month away.

Try hardening them off in stages. Start with an hour or 2 then bring them back in. Do this for a few days, then start gradually extending the time. They won't do so well going from indoors to outdoors for long periods right away.

farmerjim
04-02-2022, 08:07 AM
I normally start my tomato, pepper, and eggplant seed in late December, but I did not get out of the hospital and recovery facilities till March. I had to buy plants this year and had neighbors and friends till and plant my garden.
Aren't good neighbors great!

GW, An old market gardener once said " If you don't loose some of your early crop, and some of your late crop to frost, you are not planting early or late enough.

I have headed his wisdom and have harvested the earliest and the latest crops in my area for 30 years.

Hogtamer
05-13-2022, 09:48 PM
This is all I’ve got the back for now, tomatoes, beans and corn. When corn is about ready I plant running speckled lima beans between stalks that I use in veggie soup.

MaryB
05-14-2022, 01:38 PM
Can't get in the garden, been a muddy mess for 2 weeks! It needs to dry out a bit so I can till it twice...

Electrod47
05-14-2022, 01:56 PM
Got 10 Tomater plants already bearing. Looks like a bumper crop of Blue Berry's and pears and Turkey Figs also this year. Don't plant like we used to. Neighbors keep us buried in Okra, Potatoes, Cabbage, Corn, Squash, Cucumbers and Onions. Ah the country life. I hadn't heard it in a while. But, John Denver came on the radio the other day singing " Take me home Country Road " and I teared up.

gwpercle
05-14-2022, 07:18 PM
I'm proud of myself ... I didn't buy more plants than my small back yard raised beds could handle .
3 Tomato plants ( I didn't crowd them this year) , 6 Gypsey Pepper plants and a few Red Okra and two Green Bush Okra ..and that's it . Things do much better when they have room to grow .
The weeds this year are doing really well ... I pull em and they just grow back ...like a bad weed !

The Satsuma trees , Meyer Lemon and Grapefruit trees are looking good ... last year we had a winter ice storm , got very cold and a poor citrus crop ... no ice storms this year so they will do better .
Gary

ryanmattes
05-14-2022, 08:06 PM
This year we got a late start because it was unseasonably cold, but everything is growing like gangbusters now.

We have 8 tomato plants; beefsteak, husky cherry, a "salsa" tomato plant we picked up to fill the last spot, grape tomato, and a couple heirlooms.

We also have 2 jumbo jalapeno plants and a regular hot jalapeno.

Couldn't find banana pepper seedlings this year, and we'll miss em.

We also have some cucumbers and some zucchini plants.

The wife started romaine, spinach, green onions and radishes this year. We've already had a harvest of radishes, and another has sprouted and should be ready in about 30 days. The spinach got eaten up by something while it was still small, so I've been struggling to keep it alive, but the rest looks good.

I've also got a couple random peppers, Thai chili's and habaneros, and the herb garden: rosemary, sage, parsley, oregano, thyme, basil, and mint. I've already got sage and oregano drying in the garage. Oh, and I've got a pig trough full of cilantro that bloomed early and has now gone to seed.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220515/301ab174284543a6c94c14c5925449ae.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220515/47b2dfdb217aa938e8c88bb2439b2b94.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

MaryB
05-15-2022, 12:36 PM
Mud and more mud... over 3" of rain this month timed so the garden never dries out enough to till it. Maybe tomorrow or Tuesday...