PDA

View Full Version : Smelting pot success the hard way

metricmonkeywrench
03-20-2022, 09:21 PM
Luckily scored an old plumbers smelting tank last fall for free. I got the valve open and let it set for a few months. Last weekend I spent an hour or so trying to get the weird large flange valve assy off and finally gave up and moved to splitting the tank.

I selected to cut just above the weld thinking the weld will aid in giving me a nice sturdy upper ring other than the plain metal edge. Being just a general maintenance kind of guy my choice of tools is somewhat limited. I started out with a hacksaw and over the next few days here and there I hacked away as long as my arm, shoulder and will would hold out. Finally success was achieved and the incredibly thick wall was penetrated for about 3 inches. I then was able to switch to a jigsaw. I was able to cut the length of the hacksaw groove before the only metal blade burnt out.. darn the tank wall is thick must be at least 1/8 in thick, must be because it’s a plumbers pot bottle and made more durable.

A stop at the local hardware store provided a resupply of metal jigsaw blades and some cutting wheels for the 4in grinder. Note to self, the big box stores only seem to sell the “t” type quick change jigsaw blades, the old screw clamp style seems to have been put out to pasture. The new jigsaw blade slowly cut about another 3 in further and started to smoke. Aargh.. so far with no signs of flames or explosions with the jigsaw the decision was made to go with the grinder and cut off wheel. Seemed simple enough but the HF grinder seemed to be missing the spacer to allow the cut off wheel to clear the safety guard/shield. A suitable washer of proper dimensions was located and I was again underway.

At first I used the cutoff wheel to score deeply around the tank and again tried the jigsaw but abandoned that as it wouldn’t track well in the score line. Back to the grinder which finally cracked the egg apart reviling, yep you guessed it, I was cutting at the point where the upper and lower halves of the tank overlapped for the seam weld. I put the grinding wheel back on, dressed the sharp edges a bit, wiped out the tank goo and metal shavings and tossed in some questionable unknown lead for the inaugural run.

Definitely holds a wee bit more than the little Dutch oven and fits my burner quite well.

lightman
03-22-2022, 01:30 PM
It looks like your persistence paid off. Nice looking job.

Glwenzl
03-22-2022, 03:03 PM
Nice work. I made one similar. I’m considering installing a bucket style pivoting handle made of 3/8” diameter steel steak I have laying around. Also welding on a handle to the pot (maybe a few inches below the rim and then heat up the the other side to form (beat) a little spout. Not that I plan on lifting a pot full of lead to put out but for getting the last bit out of the pot.

G W Wade
03-22-2022, 06:36 PM
Working on same thing. Drilling a hole at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock around the rim. Using a 3/8 rod bent like a "W" thru at 3 and 9 Then a 1/2 x 4 bolt at the 6 position. Maybe form a pour lip at 12 for kicks. I do not usually do more than 25 to 30 lbs at a time. Used a Sawsall to cut but missed the seam. GW

Silvercreek Farmer
03-22-2022, 07:13 PM
Those HF grinders are great. I wait until they are $9.99 then get four or five of them. Then I can keep various grinding, cutting, flap, and wire wheels on one and not have to swap. I burn one up every now and again, but they last pretty well as long as you stop and let them cool a bit when they get hot. I cut a 5x6’ hole through 12” block for a window using one equipped with a diamond wheel. Just scored the block then whacked it with a 3 lb hammer. Couldn’t believe it held up to the dust and load.

Rickf1985
03-23-2022, 09:48 PM
If you weld a shield around the entire pot and space it out from the pot about a half inch and go straight down with it you will find that you can melt much faster and maintain melted lead with very little flame after it gets up to temp.

Rickf1985
03-23-2022, 09:50 PM
And just in case someone should ask I have since added substantial support to the legs from the outer ring down to the leg bottoms. You could set a car on it now without worry.

Glwenzl
03-23-2022, 10:18 PM
I used a Milwaukee battery operated reciprocating saw with a metal blade in it which worked very well for me. I started out with a very long blade, and once I cut through that I use a short blade and went all the way around.

Now to figure out a way to install a drain and valve like I seen somebody else on this website has done!