PDA

View Full Version : $500 and under 4-12x rifle scope

Shawlerbrook
03-20-2022, 09:56 AM
The more I read, the more confused I get. Looking for a 4-12 power rifle scope for my Mauser 25 06. Prefer a 40mm objective. Read about first vs second focal plane and adjustable objectives. Can anyone steer me in the right direction ? Thanks !

Gofaaast
03-20-2022, 11:15 AM
I have a 4.5–14 vari x 3 on one of my 25-06’s. It’s perfect for hunting and a fine optic at dusk when aiming towards the setting sun. It has an adjustable objective so I can count fly legs at 400 yards if wanted. I keep mine set at 200 when hunting open country and clarity is fine. It’s a fine duplex. I know this rifle and load better than any so I’m fine with just the duplex. I prefer more power if I’m at the range and prefer second focal plane scopes for long distance shooting to keep reticle size from covering target.

NSB
03-20-2022, 11:58 AM
Read this article. It really shows what the difference is and it’s not hard to understand. https://outdoorsmans.com/blogs/rifle-scopes/riflescopes-first-focal-plane-vs-second-focal-plane
Adjustable objectives are pretty insignificant at distances beyond 100 yards to 99% of the shooters who are hunting or casual target shooting. At what they call “infinity”, it makes little difference to your eyes and or your shooting having an adjustable objective (AO). I personally have come to the conclusion that a simple plex reticle is pretty easy to use for any distances if you know the distance. To really make life simple, get something like a Leupold scope with a CDS dial. Range, turn dial, shoot. No calculations required. Having bought a few FFP (first focal plane) scopes I’ve decided I don’t care for them. Personal preference.

sigep1764
03-20-2022, 10:03 PM
Mueller optics have served me well. I have an 8-32x40 AO that has served me on rimfires, an Axis 223, and a Win 270 for the past 5 years. I remember picking mine up for something like 300, then two sets of Leopold rings.

Winger Ed.
03-20-2022, 10:22 PM
I've had great luck with a few of the 'big names'- Leupold, Simmons, and Redfield
variable power ones in the high $300 to $450 range.
For the daylight, not quite dark shooting I do, I'm big on 1" tubes, a steel mount & rings, and a 40mm AO.

Your .25-06 shouldn't have a scope crushing recoil, and any of ones in your price range should do fine and have great clarity.

03-21-2022, 12:44 AM
Vortex has a beautiful 4x12 I just bought. I planned to put it on a .30-06. I swear by Vortex and have several. I prefer Vortex to Leupold, that's how much I like 'em. This latest 4x12 comes from the vender "Optics Planet" for around $250. I strongly recommend the scope. check out Optics Planet. They sell all sorts of scopes, etc. Good to deal with.