PDA

View Full Version : Shooter's World Heavy Pistol

Cosmic_Charlie
03-19-2022, 11:55 AM
Just got a couple pounds of this as a hopeful substitute for 2400. I've read you can use AA #9 data for it. I've also read that it will perform well below maximum loads. I want to try it in 44 spl with 260 grain boolits. but do not have any #9 .44 spl. data. Of course there is plenty of data for .44 mag and I will use it for that as well. Anyone use it in .44 spl?

TurnipEaterDown
03-19-2022, 02:16 PM
"Cosmic Charlie": This Shooters World Heavy Pistol is a ball powder, by their description (spherical).
You post is likely to turn up responses, and I hope it does.

I note that the Shooters World site does have data files to support quick load, and does have a "contact us" feature as well. If able, you may take advantage of one or both these options.

Ball powder manufacture differs substantially from tubular extruded, and Some Manufacturers process can produce ball/spherical powders that have poor behavioral characteristics at reduced pressures. Whether this powder is one or not, I have no idea, hence the mention of availing yourself of their data and tools offered.

I myself had a bad experience w/ reducing a Different ball powder one time (WC680) and try to avoid using ball powders (that retain their spherical shape, i.e. as opposed to severely flattened ones) significantly outside of the intended operating pressure ranges. Often times, ball/spherical powders control burn rate primarily through addition of deterrents. While I think that this control mechanism applies primarily ones that are notably still round (flattening has it's own strong effect on burn rate control), I can't hazard a guess if that thought is really valid or not.
It is known however that these deterrent coatings do affect ignition characteristics and hence can affect pressure curve character when used outside of normal design pressure ranges.

Hopefully you turn up some good info that "gets you there", and if you do, post it up. There is just a frustrating lack of availability now. (In my mind: Likely Very Intentional.)

Cosmic_Charlie
03-19-2022, 08:22 PM
TY TED, In their promo blurb, Shooters World claims that Heavy Pistol powder burns well below full mag loading density and does not need mag primers which makes it sound somewhat unusual.

TurnipEaterDown
03-19-2022, 09:28 PM
CC: Interesting. Post what you find.
BTW: you finding any SW powder available on line? I just picked up an oddball 20 lb auction (odds & ends, 3 lb were degraded), so not set too bad what with what I had before, but some of their powders look useful to me for my stuff, and I have thought time to time of trying some. Most everyone seems out of everything (no news to anyone...).

rintinglen
03-20-2022, 10:12 AM
Just looking at the Lovex D-037.2 data, assuming a 240-ish SWC, I would try a load of ~13.5 grains in my 44 spl, and then work up a couple of tenths at a time to a max of around 15.0 grains. A chronograph is your friend here. And I would start my testing in my 44 magnum revolver;-)

PS for a 260 grain boolit, I'd start at 12.5 and work up to 14.0 grains.

Cosmic_Charlie
03-25-2022, 10:14 AM
Have not tried it in the special yet. But it can produce stonking loads with heavier bullets in 44 mag.

gwpercle
03-28-2022, 01:48 PM
Have not tried it in the special yet. But it can produce stonking loads with heavier bullets in 44 mag.

I give up ... I can't find a definition for " stonking loads " ...
... Just What are stonking loads ?
Gary

Cosmic_Charlie
03-31-2022, 08:22 AM
Stonking is related to modocking. In my case it means heavy.